Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

A BAD Experience with Mercury Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:07 PM
lowrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A BAD Experience with Mercury Insurance

On May 13th (A Saturday) I had the misfortune of being hit in the front bumper by an insured of Mercury Insurance. The other driver admitted it was her fault at the scene. I obtained her Insurance Information, and called her Agent, or so I thought, the following Monday. Turns out, it was a broker, that only sells insurance, but doesn’t handle claims. I obtained Mercury’s phone number from them, and called the home office of Mercury Insurance.

After about 30 minutes of answering questions and being transferred from one clerk to another, I was finally connected to an “adjuster”. He took my information, and the information of his insured. He also took a recorded statement from me. I claimed no injuries for either myself or my wife, who was with me at the time of the accident.

I waited a week, and hearing nothing from them, I called the adjuster, and was told he was having trouble reaching his client. Hearing that, I phoned his client, he wasn’t home, so I obtained his cell phone number, and reached him. He then became defensive, and it wasn’t until I threatened him with a small claims court action, did he agree to call the adjuster. Yes, I facilitated the call, Mercury Insurance apparently doesn’t know how to reach it’s clients.

Another week went by, and I called again, and the adjuster told me he would have an estimator come out to my home and view the damage. Three days later, the estimator called to make an appointment, and he showed up the following day. He took pictures of the damage, told me they could repair the bumper cover, and spot paint it. My Coupe has been exhibited in shows, and I knew such a repair would not do. He argued with me, and told me they had a Collision Center in town, a Honda Dealer, and that they would fix it to my satisfaction. He worked up the estimate in his car, and presented me with an estimate for $351.41.

The following day I took it to my body shop, a shop I have used for years, and received an estimate from them for $695.93 to replace the bumper cover. He told me he could do a repair, but on my car, with my standards, he wouldn’t attempt it. I then went to the Mercury recommended Collision Center, and received an estimate for $695.39. I walked in like I was off the street. I asked specifically if they could repair it, and the estimator replied that he could, but when he saw that the price of the raw unpainted replacement bumper cover was only $284.40, he recommended that I replace it, rather than refinish it.

I Furnished all this information to Mercury Insurance and got absolutely nowhere. I even arranged a meeting with the Mercury Insurance estimator and my Body Shop Owner, all to no avail. My Body Shop guy, told me that this kid had no body shop experience, and only told him that their Collision center could repair the cover “all day long.” Folks, the cover was cut, and I think we all know you never spot a panel on a late model show car, you repaint the whole panel. My Body Shop was disgusted by the experience, and the unprofessionalism of the Mercury Insurance estimator.

Anyway, Sorry this was so long, I just wanted to present the facts and make you folks wary of Mercury Insurance. I guess, I have to be thankful the people who hit me were insured at all, and that I collected anything. But, am I still angry, you bet I am! Mercury Insurance will get nothing but bad press from me. I could take it to small claims court, but for $344.52, it really isn’t worth my time to spend a day in court. I guess Mercury Insurance settles claims with a Low Ball, and hopes you will go away. That’s how they make their money.

Lou
Old 07-03-2006, 03:00 PM
chimchim

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I had a similar experience. I was rear ended about 10 years ago by a driver insured with Mercury. There was about a $800 difference between the bodyshop estimate and the Mercury estimate. Mercury refused to pay the difference so I decided to go thru my own insurance (State Farm). State Farm payed the full bodyshop estimate, and waived my deductable. My State Farm agent said that they would eventually collect the money Mercury.
Since I wasn't at fault, my premium didn't go up...

Try to go thru your own insurance if it's no too late...good luck
Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats why I never give the insurance company a chance to tell me what repair show I need to be going through or how much the repair should cost. I go directly to my body shop guy, have him do the repair and I give the insurance company the bill. don't play footsie with them unless you want it in the a$$, especially if its not your insurance company.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:43 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by chimchim
Sorry to hear about your problem.

I had a similar experience. I was rear ended about 10 years ago by a driver insured with Mercury. There was about a $800 difference between the bodyshop estimate and the Mercury estimate. Mercury refused to pay the difference so I decided to go thru my own insurance (State Farm). State Farm payed the full bodyshop estimate, and waived my deductable. My State Farm agent said that they would eventually collect the money Mercury.
Since I wasn't at fault, my premium didn't go up...

Try to go thru your own insurance if it's no too late...good luck
That's exactly what I was thinking... let your insurance company do all that leg work - that's what you pay them for. Besides, they are in the same business so I'm sure they know how to get Mercury to get their **** together.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:55 PM
lex350

Everything said here so far is proof that you get what you pay for. Mercury is over 50% cheaper than State Farm. State Farm is more expensive but there service is great and they don't Dick you around.

I've had M I for over 10 years, so far so good...
Old 07-15-2006, 04:40 AM
SilverII

don't know what the problem is.... just go to your body shop, get it fixed and let mecury pick up the bill.... get a rental while at it.

not sure about your state, but in TX, you have the right to go to the repairshop of your choice.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 AM
cessna

My question to you is why did you not let YOUR insurance comp take care of making those calls?

Isnt that part of the reason we pay our insurance bills each month???
Old 07-15-2006, 04:22 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cessna
My question to you is why did you not let YOUR insurance comp take care of making those calls?

Isnt that part of the reason we pay our insurance bills each month???
Right! Contact your insurance company. Let them fight the battle. It definitely is one of the services you are paying for.

bill
Old 07-15-2006, 06:14 PM
MSOsr

You pay premiums to your carrier, not Mercury. Let your carrier make the repairs under your collision coverage; they'll deal with Mercury to get their money back (and possibly your deductible).

Mike (why not use what you've paid for?)