Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Is a G35 Coupe a car I should seriously consider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM
xxForgedxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a G35 Coupe a car I should seriously consider?

I have been putting great thought into what my next car should be. I have ruled out certain attributes and embraced others. I initially was considering anything from an E46 M3 to a C5 Corvette, EVOs and STis. I realized that I need to be thinking more about what I NEED out of a car and less about what I lust for out of a car. 2 seats and no trunk really just is not doable for me, and neither is high maintenance or potential extreme cost repairs.

I thought that considering the prices of the G35 Coupe 6mts have been so great as of late that I would buy one, slap some nice wheels on it, bolt ons, nice rubber and mild cosmetics and call it a day. I will admit though I do have a problem with the fact that it is really barely a 14.0 flat car and I am deeply concerned with the transmission issues that I heave heard about and I am told that even once fixed, they are just as prone to come back.

I was advised by a good friend that I should consider buying a supercharged or TT G35 that was already built. I know it is usually a no-no to buy heavily modded cars but they are now so cheap. I am however concerned as well with the VQ35 once blown. It seems as if this motor without an internal build can easily crumble under FI and that scares me to be frank. What is your take on things?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Our motors can handle a limited amount of power before the connecting rods give way.

Do NOT buy a built or boosted G. You say you want lower maintenance... They'll require higher maintenance.

The G coupe is a nice car.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 AM
xxForgedxx

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Our motors can handle a limited amount of power before the connecting rods give way.

Do NOT buy a built or boosted G. You say you want lower maintenance... They'll require higher maintenance.

The G coupe is a nice car.
So what about an upgraded motor set up? Is there anything you would suggest I do as far as internals to make more power and strengthen the motor? I am new to the VQ35 however I haven't really heard of many people with a mods list that consisted of cams, pistons etc.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 PM
D&G35

i've been thinking about doing the same to my car and going FI..but like silverstone said..the motor can handle only so much..just remember, no matter how fast u want your car to be, sumone else is always gonna be faster...
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Spork

Originally Posted by xxForgedxx
So what about an upgraded motor set up? Is there anything you would suggest I do as far as internals to make more power and strengthen the motor? I am new to the VQ35 however I haven't really heard of many people with a mods list that consisted of cams, pistons etc.
The main weakness of the VQ that seems to give under excess boost, is the rods.

If you plan on upgrading the engine internally, do not think it will come cheap or make it bulletproof.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Beerfest

xxForgedxx, also bear in mind that many?/some G35 Coupe 6mts have motor issues, i.e., engine knock and/or oil consumption. I purchased my G35 in '06 and right off the lot the engine sounded terrible. What I thought was a bad tank of gas, was actually a bad motor. A year and a half later of back-n-forth to the dealership and calls to Infiniti, the engine was replaced. The 2nd motor is much much better, however still exhibits some engine knock and a little oil consumption.

Some people have traded their vehicles away in disgust and frustration with Nissan, I however, still have mine. It has been, without a doubt, the worst car owning experience in my life, and I have owned many cars. There are some happy owners out there and maybe I am part of a minority however. If you are really up on this car, do your homework, Google VQ35 Oil consumption...and read. Good luck to you.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Spork

Originally Posted by Beerfest
xxForgedxx, also bear in mind that many?/some G35 Coupe 6mts have motor issues, i.e., engine knock and/or oil consumption. I purchased my G35 in '06 and right off the lot the engine sounded terrible. What I thought was a bad tank of gas, was actually a bad motor. A year and a half later of back-n-forth to the dealership and calls to Infiniti, the engine was replaced. The 2nd motor is much much better, however still exhibits some engine knock and a little oil consumption.

Some people have traded their vehicles away in disgust and frustration with Nissan, I however, still have mine. It has been, without a doubt, the worst car owning experience in my life, and I have owned many cars. There are some happy owners out there and maybe I am part of a minority however. If you are really up on this car, do your homework, Google VQ35 Oil consumption...and read. Good luck to you.
The 06 rev-up engine is what you're referring to.

Faulty oil ring.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Beerfest

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
The 06 rev-up engine is what you're referring to.

Faulty oil ring.
I have heard that as a possible reason, but I have also heard of other reason's as well. Who can tell really without tearing down the engine. If it were simply rings, then why are the hand-built replacement engines (referred to as V2s) having the same issue (some anyway). Not challenging you Silverstone, I'm challenging the Nissan engineers that apparently can't find a "fix" for this engine. Regards
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 PM
xxForgedxx

*runs away*
Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
SouiT

All you really need to do to a G is lower the car and drop it.
Doing anything for power seems to go in a bad direction for most the VQ seems.
Heard the G37 wasn't doing too bad with mods.

I test drove all the cars you listed and some.
After driving around 15 cars in one week to see which one I liked the best. I ended up getting the G but the only other one that really favored me was the e46 m3.

Depending where you are located.
Car scenery, What weather. Seeing how you listed so many RWD doesnt seem like you'll have a problem. Weekend car?
What kind of looks you wanted.
Evos And Stis are nice for modding and getting some looks. AWD is fun as well. but it no where near will it get you the p***y the G does. Rofl..
I didn't mind the c5 vette nor the c6 vette but by my own biased opinion I ended up with an import. Something about the cabin in vettes really churn my stomach.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 PM
SouiT

Oh yah.
My buddy has a TT vette.
If you want a feeling that gives you 1/2th an orgasm every time you press the pedal...
Nice thing is that those LS motors know how to handle boost for high power. ^.^

Then again I haven't been in many boosted cars.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The G35 is too slow for you. Have you checked out the RSX.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 PM
xxForgedxx

Originally Posted by davidv
The G35 is too slow for you. Have you checked out the RSX.
That was a really dumb post
Old 09-26-2008, 06:31 PM
d1mon3k

Originally Posted by xxForgedxx
That was a really dumb post
Agreed
Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 AM
civic4982

I would pick up a vortech supercharged g35 if I were you.

maintenance is fairly simple on those setups and they can be moderately quick.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
spooze

i have a blk 07 6mt. wanna buy it.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 PM
SouiT

DAVIDV is GOD of all things post...

You guys joined this year so you don't get the back story behind the godly RSX.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

some people have absolutely no issues. some have mild issues. my VQ consumes a small amount of oil in a 5,000mi period. my trans makes a tiny bit of noise in neutral with the clutch released. nothing to be too concerned about. however, i've never heard of this knocking issue (knocks on wood). what rpm range does it occur? does it occur during low speed 2nd-3rd gear corners? i wonder if what i'm hearing is actually knock. problem solves itself by me being at a higher rpm instead of bogging the engine.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have over 52,000 miles boosted and everything is fine.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:41 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Owning a boosted Z/G is an amazing experience. BUT... if you don't (A) live near a good shop or (B) know what you are doing off the bat or (C) want to learn "how to", then it's hard to recommend aftermarket FI.

Quick Reply: Is a G35 Coupe a car I should seriously consider?