Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

New G35 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:11 PM
AwayV2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New G35 Owner

Hello i just bought a G35 coupe and immediately took it to autozone to get the service light checked out and they said that it might need timing and recommended me to a shop nearby, they told me it was o2 sensors and some other sensors and ended up charging me $600. i just want to know did i get hustled or is that a standard price because now they’re telling me i need a new a catalytic converter that’s $700+ with a $120 labor cost just to pass smog
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Not sure exactly which sensors they replaced and if they used OEM parts. If they charged you $600 and didn't provide a break down of the work completed then yes, you got "hustled." Most sensors are easy to replace.

Cat converter- Depends on the state you're in, CA cat converters have to be CARB compliant. Most other states just require 50 state legal compliant, much cheaper. Legit smog check around CA runs about ~$45 if you shop around. The umm "hook up" shady places, costs tend to be much more which doesn't require anything. An OEM Nissan cat is around ~$500-600 depending on where you shop.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 PM
AwayV2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Not sure exactly which sensors they replaced and if they used OEM parts. If they charged you $600 and didn't provide a break down of the work completed then yes, you got "hustled." Most sensors are easy to replace.

Cat converter- Depends on the state you're in, CA cat converters have to be CARB compliant. Most other states just require 50 state legal compliant, much cheaper. Legit smog check around CA runs about ~$45 if you shop around. The umm "hook up" shady places, costs tend to be much more which doesn't require anything. An OEM Nissan cat is around ~$500-600 depending on where you shop.
thanks for the reply they gave me a sheet with everything they worked on i just can’t remember off the top of my head when i get home i’ll update exactly what got done, also would i be able to do the cat work myself or do i need to get help from a shop i live in california btw
Old 05-11-2019, 07:53 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by AwayV2
thanks for the reply they gave me a sheet with everything they worked on i just can’t remember off the top of my head when i get home i’ll update exactly what got done, also would i be able to do the cat work myself or do i need to get help from a shop i live in california btw
Do you have any mechanical skills with proper tools? Getting under the car with some flimsy scissor jack from your trunk and $6 box of sockets from Autozone would be asking if you want to be seriously injured or even killed.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AwayV2
Unfortunately if you could not do the sensor repairs yourself, then replacing the catalytic converters will be a much more difficult job.

I would recommend you research the engine codes/ problems before taking it straight to a shop. Then you can at least get an idea of what to expect, and see through any b.s. they try to feed you.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:18 PM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The oem sensors are pretty expensive. The Densos are a better option, though the complete set for a G35 can be $463 https://www.z1motorsports.com/electr...35-p-4586.html

If they replaced all 4 sensors, you didn't get hustled imo. Is the check engine light still on? If not, I'd seriously question why they want to replace the cats. I suspect that even if they ran diagnostics on it, and saw the cats weren't operating efficiently, that in itself would throw a code. I wonder if they just looked at the rusty cats, and thought "yep, those could be replaced." lol

But it all depends on whether the initial issue is fixed (CEL)