Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Airbag light Headache - Clockspring or Airbag itself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 11:21 AM
edward2016

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Airbag light Headache - Clockspring or Airbag itself?

Hey everyone,

I have a 2005 G35 Sedan 6MT.

I have a airbag light that won't go away after clearing.

Here's what I know:
-Light reset doesn't work.
-Light blinks 1 long & 2 short in diagnostic mode.
-Connectors under seat have been cleaned, greased and reconnected several times.
-Steering wheel controls & horn work.
-Swapping airbag and clearing code doesn't make the light go away.
-Both airbags I have show resistance.

Is there a way to test the clockspring without removing it? Is it possible that the clockspring could be faulty even though everything works?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:17 PM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

One long two short refers to the steering wheel airbag (see Service Manual for reference). The clock spring (Nissan calls it a spiral cable) is probably the culprit. A scan tool with SRS capability should confirm.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Bmsluite

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Honk your horn

​​​​​Did you hear a honk?

No? Clockspring is bad

Yes? Clockspring is good
Old 11-21-2020, 08:09 PM
Jim Stephens

Received 444 Likes on 294 Posts

Spent a lot of time clearing an airbag light for the steering wheel. I replaced the clockspring and no luck. Replaced the airbag, no luck. In the end it was the airbag control module that was bad. If you look at the fsm it just states the order of replacement until you clear it. Seems like the most likely failure point is the clockspring to me. Be sure and buy an OEM one. Good luck! By the way, I was "clearing it" with a basic OBDII computer. Best Way to go.

I say that (buy OEM clockspring) because I put a non-oem clock spring in and it worked for about 9 months and then it failed. Literally just replaced that about 3 weeks ago. Replacing that airbag control module is not a big deal, except that you need to be sure and get the number off the one in you car currently and get the exact same one. They are not tied to your VIN or anything. I got my first one off ebay and then sent it to shop to reset it as it came from a car that had popped the airbags. Tried it out, fail. Then found another one on ebay from a car that had not detonated, dropped it in and the pesky light finally was vanquished. I even took the car into the dealership at one point. They tried a different clock spring and could not fix it. The guy told me the only thing left to replace was that module. A new one costs a lot of money, find a used one. That module is basically a small computer board with some motion sensors in it. Like all things computer related, the boards can go out.

By the way, my theory on it is that the previous owner shorted out the wires putting in an aftermarket steering wheel and f'd up the airbag control module permanently. I am one of those rare people that actually did a full airbag re-install on my car including OEM steering wheel. I put in the side airbags(ceiling), passenger airbag and all the wiring. Once the mystery of it is solved, it is a very simple system. Basically just a computer that senses and impact that then sends an electrical charge to the appropriate airbag(s). Kinda reminded me of the kinda set up with a solid rocket charge that used to happen with those hobby rockets. Simplicity of the design keeps the cost down and keeps the reliability way up. Kinda an important thing.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 11-22-2020 at 05:43 AM.