Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

the g35 is a 4 seater Z with more luxury??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 05:48 AM
zeroday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the g35 is a 4 seater Z with more luxury??

help me out here guys...we've got g35 sedan owners thinking they've got a z with different sheet metal:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....801#post711801
Old 03-08-2004, 06:00 AM
ZRAYGO

this is true. its made by the same manufacturer. Its the same engine. This is a true statement. Its just heavier than the z. get a pic of the z and put it next to a pic of a g35c....very close simularities.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:07 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by ZRAYGO
this is true. its made by the same manufacturer. Its the same engine. This is a true statement. Its just heavier than the z. get a pic of the z and put it next to a pic of a g35c....very close simularities.
ah...no.

ok...this wasn't a question anyhow...i know for a fact they are different..just looking for more differences, here's what i got so far:
1. different chassis, the G has a longer wheelbase
2. different suspension, z's is firmer
3. completely different interior, z's is sport oriented, g35 is luxo oriented
4. different driveshaft, z's is made of carbon fiber
5. different intake, the z's is less restrictive
6. different stereo setup, the g35's radio is not easily swapped out for aftermarket due to it's integrated design.
7. g35 has dual zone climate control, z does not.
8. g35 has seat memory, z does not
9. z has a digital tire pressure monitoring system, g35 does not
10. g35 has auto on/off headlamps, z does not
11. z has a front strut bar, g does not
12. stock tires are different
13. seats are different
...diff door handles, headlights, sheet metal, mirrors, shifter, guages, etc etc etc

the engine/tranny is the same, and the VDC& STC system is the same..and maybe the brakes are the same.....
Old 03-08-2004, 06:13 AM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zeroday
ah...no.

ok...this wasn't a question anyhow...i know for a fact they are different..just looking for more differences, here's what i got so far:
6. different stereo setup, the g35's radio is not easily swapped out for aftermarket due to it's integrated design.
13. seats are different
...diff door handles, headlights, sheet metal, mirrors, shifter, guages, etc etc etc

the engine/tranny is the same, and the VDC& STC system is the same..and maybe the brakes are the same.....
I wouldn't use all of those reasons to separate two cars. At least to me, if the engine/ecu/trans is the same as well as the intented buyers of the vehicle (sport oriented), I would consider them almost the same. Seat memory and things like that don't really distinguish cars to me. Try making a list of the differences between the Z and the Altima and you'll see what I mean
Old 03-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Audito350Z

to really throw a wrench into your gears... this about this... the FX35 is a Z that can carry four people and a lot of their stuff

Nissan is in business today because of a little help from Renault and a lot of consolidation of platforms. Instead of making a bunch different cars with a bunch different platforms, Nissan now makes a bunch of cars that share the same platform. Without going into a huge economics discussion, it's called "economies of scale".

Many cars in the Infiniti/Nissan lineup share parts like engine, wiring harness, transmission, rear ends, brakes, suspension, subframes, some interior bit, some electronic... the list really goes on. Sure, there's little things that are a little bit different, but the big-ticket items are the same.

So, yes, the G35c is a more luxurious 350Z. All the items you mention in your list of differences are the brand-identity items. Infiniti is the upscale division of Nissan, so of course the G has all that upscale stuff in it.

There are many examples of this in the car world... Audi A4/Volkswagen Passat, Mercedes SLK/Chrysler Crossfire, Lexus LS/Toyota Avalon... you get the idea.

Cheers,

PeteH
Old 03-08-2004, 08:30 AM
zeroday

i was really hoping for some replies stating technical differences, i'm already aware of the way nissan re-uses parts across its model lineup.

this is not for use in a pissing contest either guys..you will notice in my list i have listed things that the z doesn't have.

the g35 is not a 4 door/seat z unless you define your car completely by it's engine/tranny ignoring weight/weight distribution/suspension/seating position/luxury etc etc.....why would someone buy a cadillac xlr over a c5 vette? There'a HUGE price difference there yet the two cars share engines/trannies. Two very different cars.

If you guys that own z's really think you purchased a stripped down g35 I just don't know what to say. Guess that would make all touring z/track owners stupid for shelling out 33+k for their z's.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Jetpilot718

Dude, look at it like this:

Ya bought a Z. The G is cool too, though.

Your married to one girl, but you wouldnt mind sleeping with her cousin, who is of equal but distinctly different hottness.

And then there are those on this forum who sleep with both ladies, and to those, I am jealous
Old 03-08-2004, 09:22 AM
tbcz

The cars are far more similar mechanically than they are different. Different interior, different sheet metal, but everything underneath is nearly the same.

Who ever said the Z was a stripped down G35? You could just say that the G35 is a watered down Z. What's the big deal? It all depends on what you want.

You state that you don't want to start a pissing match, then proceed to suggest that touring/track Z owners are stupid for buying them? What then exactly is your point? Take a look at the Nissan and Infiniti websites for a very thourough list of the differences. But bear in mind they are built on nearly identical platforms with nearly identical drivetrains. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to call a G35c a 4 seat Z...although it think it would be more accurate to call it a four seat version of the Z.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Dissolved

Heres a differenence you forgot zeroday:

The Z regularly hits high 13s. The G does not

Whatever dillusional G owner that said the Z is a stripped down version of a G needs to get their head out of their a$$.

Last edited by Dissolved; 03-08-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:34 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by zeroday
ah...no.

13. seats are different

I am with you on this, after all those differences they are two totally different animals.

You can call the TransAm and Camaro the same, because everything is practically the same just minor cosmetic differences beside the body.

All car manufacturers are using the same platform now. It is much cheaper. If you think just becuase they share the same platform they are the same car, your an idiot.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:37 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by tbcz
The cars are far more similar mechanically than they are different. Different interior, different sheet metal, but everything underneath is nearly the same.

Who ever said the Z was a stripped down G35? You could just say that the G35 is a watered down Z. What's the big deal? It all depends on what you want.

You state that you don't want to start a pissing match, then proceed to suggest that touring/track Z owners are stupid for buying them? What then exactly is your point? Take a look at the Nissan and Infiniti websites for a very thourough list of the differences. But bear in mind they are built on nearly identical platforms with nearly identical drivetrains. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to call a G35c a 4 seat Z...although it think it would be more accurate to call it a four seat version of the Z.
um...where did i say this was a big deal to me? i ask for technical differences and i get replies that are implying i'm trying to hate on the g35. just forget it. the comment about the touring/track owners was sarcastic, I am a touring z owner.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
NismoKid

Here's a list of some cars that I think would support the conclusion that the Z and G35C are basically the same car. Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470, Nissan Murano and Infiniti FX, GMC Yukon and Chevy Suburban, etc. If you made a list of similarities and differences, you'll most likely find that the list of similarities is a lot more than differences. This is the best explaination I can come up with for you.

EDIT: One more thing. You'll notice that the price bracket for each vehicle is fairly close to its "sister" car if not overlapping it at some point.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:05 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by NismoKid
Here's a list of some cars that I think would support the conclusion that the Z and G35C are basically the same car. Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470, Nissan Murano and Infiniti FX, GMC Yukon and Chevy Suburban, etc. If you made a list of similarities and differences, you'll most likely find that the list of similarities is a lot more than differences. This is the best explaination I can come up with for you.

EDIT: One more thing. You'll notice that the price bracket for each vehicle is fairly close to its "sister" car if not overlapping it at some point.

thanks, but i really dont see how those examples prove it's the same car. looking for concrete differences here but i can see now that this is for some reason a sensitive topic that i should not have brought up... i fully understand the concept of platform reuse/rebadging etc...

Last edited by zeroday; 03-08-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Dissident

Agree except Murana is FF platform (altima, maxima, murano) and FX is FM platform (Z, G, FX)
Old 03-08-2004, 01:18 PM
BoostTed

I own a G35 sedan as well, the g35 sedan is smoother, quieter, more comfortable, nicer int. Does it show traits of being in the same family line yes, does it drive exactly the same of course not, infiniti wouldnt sell any g35 sedans if it did. But the G35C is very very similar to the Z from handleing to feel of the clutch and shifter, but its still a bit quieter. Suspension is very similar. They are the same car but tuned and tweeked for different markets, a person shopping for a g35 sedan is not likely going to cross shop a Z, they are looking for different features.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:30 PM

I think you get way more for your money when buying G.....
Old 03-08-2004, 01:54 PM
zillinois

Zeroday,

Do a search for Z owners who compare their cars to a G. You won't find it because we don't have to. G owners who brag that their car is a classier Z are betraying their true feelings.

If you are happy with your car, you just go drive it.

You don't post about other cars. Especially other cars which are basically differentiated by looks. So, make a braggart G owner irate, enjoy driving your car and don't think about them.

This post is not directed at all G owners. You have one sick ride and congratulations on having excellent taste. But I don't need to tell you that! This post is for the type of G owner who would be thinking about a Z when they have a perfectly good G in the garage.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:47 PM

haha you guys are nuts.... the closest thing to the z is G and the closest thing to the nissan skyline is z -- you have family or need room - well you'll end up buying G.. You like two seaters and sporty feel - there is Z...

This discussion is one notch away from being pathetic!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Cheever

Another difference between the 350Z and the G35. The warranty !!!

3 yr/ 36,000 vs. 4 yr /60,000

Infiniti G35 Coupe = 99.9% performance of the Z with 25% better value and 50% more luxury.

Put my vote in that the G35 is a 4 seater Z.

Cheever
Old 03-08-2004, 03:54 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by Cheever
Another difference between the 350Z and the G35. The warranty !!!

3 yr/ 36,000 vs. 4 yr /60,000

Infiniti G35 Coupe = 99.9% performance of the Z with 25% better value and 50% more luxury.

Put my vote in that the G35 is a 4 seater Z.

Cheever
and cheever is the official winner of the g35 owner sponsored pissing contest!! congrats cheever!! here's your prize:

Quick Reply: the g35 is a 4 seater Z with more luxury??