Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Drag Racing my Loaner !!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 01:06 PM
ChicagoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Drag Racing my Loaner !!! (long)

The G35X went in the shop again to repair my flaccid steering column, creaking seat rails, and confused sunroof. When I show up, however, there is no loaner to be had. This is slightly surprising, as the appointment was scheduled around the availability of a loaner car. I push the issue and am informed that they will allow me the use of their “errand” car, not usually loaned out (and apparently used as a daily driver by one of the salesmen.)

Fully cheesed off by the additional ½ hour delay prepping the “errand” car, as well as not having my vehicle during one of the last racing weekends of the year, I come to the conclusion that my only option for automotive happiness was going to come out of racing the loaner.

“RACING A LOANER ?” you might shriek, “ABUSE” you might cry; I don’t give a rodent’s derriere…….I’m going racing.

The first problem is going to be the gas. I want to race with 1/8th to ¼ of a tank, and the damn thing is FULL! My only recourse (short of siphoning) is to make the trip to the track in 4th gear instead of 5th. This helps, but I can only manage 15-16 MPG and this leaves me with a half tank. Damn.

I did empty the windshield-washer fluid reservoir en route by holding down the spray lever. That should be good for a couple of pounds…

I arrive at the track about 30 minutes after opening, and it already looks to be a crowded day. My buddy and I stake out a spot to setup, and proceed to *strip* the loaner down. Out come the floor mats, spare tire, jack, tools, headrests, sound deadening material, ashtrays, and THE BACK SEAT. Taking into account my fat a$$, this car needs all the help it can get.

Under the hood, it is time to lose the engine cover and paper filter and install the K+N, purchased for this event. Yes, I am that sick. I am modding a loaner.

Not wanting any undue attention from the dealer upon return of their very fine vehicle, I think it wise to obscure their name and telephone number from the rear glass using shoe polish. Just try to imagine THAT phone call…..

Anyway, the car finally weighs in at 3580#, with my *koff* contribution of 247 pounds. Fine Swiss instruments tell me that this car is now hauling around 3333 pounds. Much better than my little porker of a G35x.

After an interminable wait (which allows for time to fine-tune the tire pressures), my first run nets a 14.83 @ 93 and some change. The run is made in MM mode with the shifts seemingly arriving at 7000 rpm. I know the car has to shift sooner than that by design, but with the lazy tach it is well into the red.

More than a few chuckles are heard when everyone is milling around the staging lanes, especially when they realize that the dealership’s “courtesy” is extending itself all the way to the dragstrip.

The long wait time between runs allows a full icing down of the intake manifold, achieving an even better 14.74 seconds at about the same MPH. This run makes me proud of my loaner, as we cut a .015 light and drop a few jaws.

Not being willing to commit to another hour and a half for a third run, we call it quits and reassemble the car. A little window solvent and some elbow grease later, the auto is back to servile duty as a common loaner car.

I would like to take this opportunity to throw down the gauntlet, as it were, to anyone who thinks they can beat that time with a G35 loaner/courtesy vehicle. I know it can be done, because track conditions (and driver conditions) can be improved upon. If anyone is able to do so, I will bestow upon them the sum of 35 cents and a certificate indicating their victory in the COURTESY CAR CHALLENGE.

Until then, I PILOTED THE FASTEST G35 LOANER IN THE WORLD !!!!!

To see pics and timeslips:

http://www.g35driver.com/forums/show...&part=all&vc=1
Old 11-02-2004, 01:31 PM
neffster

Chicago... You're sick! I love it!!! I just might have to take you up on that challenge some day.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:29 PM
EmuMessenger

Great story and post.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:21 PM
yacoub

You have problems.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:02 PM
RaySur350GT

Better hope that no one from that dealership frequence this forum....
Old 11-04-2004, 10:12 AM
orhanz33

oh man that's messed up! but funny