Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

removing black plastic air intake duct -worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004 | 01:57 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Default removing black plastic air intake duct -worth it?

I have a JWT popcharger and was looking at the plastic intake air duct and noticing how much room it takes up.

If it was removed it'd open up a lot of room for more air to pass thru, but is it worth it?

Meaning, the intake duct is nice and smooth and helps flow the air into the intake, but without it, even though it's bigger, the sides aren't smooth etc so I wonder if the air pressure would be lower or if there'd be air turbulence

Yet we all know the duct was designed to work with the stock intake where it was actually connected to the stock airbox. So in a way it makes no sense to keep it around?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by sentry65; 12-22-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2004 | 02:33 PM
Wicked4u2c

Default Re: removing black plastic air intake duct -worth it?

Originally posted by sentry65
I have a JWT popcharger and was looking at the plastic intake air duct and noticing how much room it takes up.

If it was removed it'd open up a lot of room for more air to pass thru, but is it worth it?

Meaning, the intake duct is nice and smooth and helps flow the air into the intake, but without it, even though it's bigger, the sides aren't smooth etc so I wonder if the air pressure would be lower or if there'd be air turbulence

Yet we all know the duct was designed to work with the stock intake where it was actually connected to the stock airbox. So in a way it makes no sense to keep it around?

What do you guys think?
Remove it, more air will enter. I also noticed how big the hole gets once you take that duct piece out. Im sure it wouldn't hurt, but at the same time Im sure you wont be able to tell... Reality, can you really tell 1-2whp difference? NOPE, so all in all it doesn't even matter
Old 12-22-2004 | 05:19 PM
Methane

The only reason why I would keep it is to secure the heatsheild for the popcharger, but other than that I doubt it would hurt.
Old 12-22-2004 | 07:49 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

The intake sucks in air through the filter... It is easier to suck in more air when suction is concentrated in one area (the air duct)...

If it is removed then it will be harder to suck the cooler air that is infront of the motor moving around in the area behind the bumper...

My thought atleast...