Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HKS Racing Suction... BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:26 PM
ReavTek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HKS Racing Suction... BEWARE

I just ordered and installed an HKS Racing Suction kit and am having a very severe annoyance with it. If I give it gas over around 4000 RPMs then push in the clutch and let the rpms drop it stalls. This is a very frightening experience not having full control over my steering/brakes. I have reset the ECU, done all the technosquare resets and still same problem. I should be able to return this since it defective right? Jeez, I just wish it would work correctly...
Old 01-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Blue Dream

i'm not an expert and nor do i know what is wrong in your case, but i have been using the racing suction kit for quite some time without problem. i also have a friend who has it for quite a while and he also has no problem. hope this helps
Old 01-29-2005, 02:27 AM
mlam002

bad installation?

might want to take it apart and reinstall it..just to make sure everything is as it should be.

otherwise..try to return it.might be a defect product
Old 01-29-2005, 05:14 AM
luanda

mmm....sounds similar to the problem some people were having with the JWT popcharger

You may want to search the forum to see what people did to solve their plight withe popcharger.

Good Luck...
Old 01-29-2005, 06:56 AM
formulaZ

huhmm, sounds like one of thos problems when the maf was installed backwards. just a lil tidbit to check.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:06 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HKS Racing Suction... BEWARE

Originally posted by ReavTek
I just ordered and installed an HKS Racing Suction kit and am having a very severe annoyance with it. If I give it gas over around 4000 RPMs then push in the clutch and let the rpms drop it stalls. This is a very frightening experience not having full control over my steering/brakes. I have reset the ECU, done all the technosquare resets and still same problem. I should be able to return this since it defective right? Jeez, I just wish it would work correctly...
It's a vaccum leak.

Check all your connections, screws are tight, etc... You should even be able to put your ear to it while it's idling and hear this "leak".

Best of luck
Old 01-29-2005, 07:10 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by formulaZ
huhmm, sounds like one of thos problems when the maf was installed backwards. just a lil tidbit to check.
That's exactly what I thought.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:18 AM
dgz32

I had the same issue with my JWT. It would happen mostly when I'd push in the clutch after a spirited run, dropping the RPMs quickly. This happened about a half dozen times over a period of a couple months. Ah, good times. Now I don't have the problem at all.

I'm guessing that initially (seems like I read this somewhere) the ECU thinks there's a leak due to the air volume increase, thus the stall. I think after a while the ECU will adjust - you just have to live with it untill it does. One thing I did while I was experiancing the problem was to catch the revs before they dropped too low so that I didn't stall.

|dg
Old 01-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

It's not a defective part, it sounds like the install to me if anything.
probably a vacum leak, which was already mentioned. But you may want to check your MAF sensor as well, just incase it was damaged or anything.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:02 AM
mofoz

definetly check the MAF and tighten everything.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:04 PM
done12many2

Default Re: HKS Racing Suction... BEWARE

The same thing happened to a friend of mine and it occured at the perfectly WRONG time for it to happen. As a result the following occured. Notice the intake. Not to say that the intake itself was responsible, but either it or the way it was installed resulted in his car dying while turning and braking at the same time.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:13 PM
ReavTek

Jesus. Your friend has my deepest condolences for the loss of his fairlady. So far here is what I have done:

Retightened everything, basically a full re-install.

MAF had the "plug socket" (the place you plug in the connector) angled towards the engine. This is the way it looked in the instructions but, thinking back, stock was angled away from the motor. So I adjusted this and now the socket is facing away from the motor (to the driver's side). If someone could look at their car and validate me that this is the correct way please do so. (Pictures a Plus)

Unplugged Negative terminal from battery. Car will sit for 24 hours for a full reset. Afterwhich I will drive the car around. The consensus seems to be 150 miles for it to "adjust". So should I not worry if it stalls the first couple days?

Btw, thanks for all your input guys! I know this sounds dumb but I haven't been able to sleep right ever since this prob started... My girlfriend says it's just a car... It's my baby :/
Old 01-29-2005, 06:55 PM
done12many2

Jesus. Your friend has my deepest condolences for the loss of his fairlady. So far here is what I have done:

Retightened everything, basically a full re-install.

MAF had the "plug socket" (the place you plug in the connector) angled towards the engine. This is the way it looked in the instructions but, thinking back, stock was angled away from the motor. So I adjusted this and now the socket is facing away from the motor (to the driver's side). If someone could look at their car and validate me that this is the correct way please do so. (Pictures a Plus)

Unplugged Negative terminal from battery. Car will sit for 24 hours for a full reset. Afterwhich I will drive the car around. The consensus seems to be 150 miles for it to "adjust". So should I not worry if it stalls the first couple days?

Btw, thanks for all your input guys! I know this sounds dumb but I haven't been able to sleep right ever since this prob started... My girlfriend says it's just a car... It's my baby :/
You really need to sit your girlfriend down and have a talk! "Just a car"? Just kidding, but I know how you feel when it comes to something going wrong with the Z. I find myself daydreaming at times about my Z.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Shift_Daytona Z

My exact thoughts as soon as I read it. Install it right and it will be fine
Old 01-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Post some pics!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:13 AM
DLin05

the first time i got my HKS kit back I was on the exit ramp of the interstate when it shut off....I wasn't quite sure what happened so I just turned the car back on, then i realized how dangerous it could've been. Hasn't happened since though
Old 01-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the idle bumped up on 04's and it wont stall out.

or, just dont put it in neutral or press the clutch in until your rpm's in gear are at 1000RPM

why put it in neutral when slowing down / turning / or braking unless you want to put extra wear on your brakes?

down shift, or just leave it in gear and brake. you will have more control of the car that way...

plus, most of the time you dont need to brake but let the throttle help you through the corner...
Old 01-30-2005, 01:56 PM
ReavTek

Here are some pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2131401758

So far I have put on 70 miles. I have been engine braking and have not tried to reproduce the stall problem by revving higher and letting the car coast (pushing clutch in and letting rev drop). After I hit 150 miles I will see if the stall problem still exists. So far car runs fine with no problems idling. I'll post a review once I know eveyrthing is 100%!

Last edited by ReavTek; 01-30-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are at lets say 5000 RPM and then just drop it into neutral and let the RPM's drop to idle speed it will stall out... nothing will fix that unless you give it a little bit of throttle to keep the rpms above 1200 rpm...

i wouldnt put it in neutral unless ou are at 1200-2200 rpm...

for some reason with any higher flowing intake then stock the engine stalls out.. and unless you re-flash the ecu (not just re-set) it will not be fixed.. thats just how it is with intakes...
Old 01-30-2005, 05:59 PM
350zdanny

I've run three different aftermarket intakes and I'm about to install my fourth. I've never had this problem. Are the '03's ok with intakes or something?

Quick Reply: HKS Racing Suction... BEWARE