Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

My intake is whistling like a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My intake is whistling like a turbo?

Well, last week I bought an intake off ebay.. cheap thing, cost me $15 and free shipping. Stupid, I know, but I had some money locked into my paypal account with nothing else to spend it on, so what the hell. It was actually supposed to be a cold air, but when we went to install it, we couldn't figure out how the piping was supposed to put the filter in the front fender area. The piping all went in the right direction, but not at exactly the right angles needed to get the filter down there. Anways, conveniently we installed it as a short ram, with the included cone filter, which seemed very small. When we took the car out to drive, I noticed a very very faint whistling noise from the intake, in addition to a gereral loudening of intake noise and engine.. growl, for lack of a better word. So today, I went by autozone to pick up a bigger, better K&N cone filter to put on the intake, because that other one was just so small. They didn't have any K&N that fit on 3" piping, so I got some other no-name shiny, colorful filter for $20 that was grouped with all the rest of the ricey stuff. I put it on my car, and now you can really hear that whistle a lot! It's not just from the piping or anything, it's got a little warble to it that increases as the RPMs rise. I'm thinking it might be the cams? It reminds me a little of the sound of VTEC coming in on a honda. I just thought I'd mention it because I pulled up to a light today, downshifting through the gears, and the guy next to me asked me if it was a twin turbo! He must have heard the whistle as I heel and toe'd. I'm curious as to what it could be?
Old 02-20-2005, 02:33 PM
CC 350Z

The whistle is the air being sucked into the intake.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:43 PM
DaddyPhatSaks

My Typhoon whistles around 4k
Old 02-20-2005, 04:12 PM
jmaldonado

My JWT Popcharger whistles too......
Old 02-20-2005, 10:34 PM
FairladyZ

Yeah its a whistle. Its the air passing over the throttle plate. Its always there you can just hear it now because you have an "open" air filter. Before it was in the air box.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Z-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, my Pop Charger has a nice whistle as well. At first I was annoyed, but then my wife told me that every time I hear that little whistle, I'll just remember how great the exhaust is. Now I kinda like it. It is a reminder about the fun I had putting in one of my first mods.