Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Newbie ? - Is there a REAL HP increase with a cold-air induction system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Robert_Nashvill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie ? - Is there a REAL HP increase with a cold-air induction system?

Please forgive the newbie questions and for asking questions that may have already been asked a few thousand times already.

I'm thinking about a cold-air intake for my 350Z.

1. I realize there are many reasons for installing such a system (intake sound, looks, personal pref, etc) but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any measurable increas in RWHP and/or torque after installing a system which can be backed up with actual numbers?

I've seen the ads for many different systems along with claims of potential benefits but is there any evidence available from someone whith no axe to grind to support making the investment?

2. Has anyone experienced any warranty issues/problems after installing a kit and if so, how was it eventually resolved.

Thanks in advance for any help/info!
Old 03-04-2005, 04:02 PM
350zdanny

I've owned the AEM, Injen, and now the JWT and I like the JWT the best for sound. I have not dynoed it yet but people have seen some gains.

I think I got 3 or 4 rwhp from the Injen, maybe in a real driving situation in would be a little more since the filter is getting colder air.

Check into the Typhoon CAI. I like the way that one's set up, but I can't recommend it. Based on MY experience I would go with the JWT. Best bang for the buck.

I haven't had any warranty trouble at all.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:12 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock intake is a cold air system. Thats why there is a few hp gain from the so called "CAI". They should call it "MAI"more air intake lol
Old 03-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
The stock intake is a cold air system. Thats why there is a few hp gain from the so called "CAI". They should call it "MAI"more air intake lol
EXACTLY... that's why I modified and designed my own

INJEN...cool looking, cold air *except for all the metal tubing, biotch to clean often.

NISMO...can't really see, semi cold air, biotch to clean often.

JWT...cool looking, semi cold air, easy to clean.

HOMEGROWN...ok looking, cold air, easy to clean.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 03-07-2005, 12:55 PM
350zdanny

The Injen definitely has better filter placement than stock. The AEM and stock airbox are more of a "cool air" design. If the Injen didn't replace the top tube with a metal one it would probably due a little better.

The JWT is the least like a Cold Air Intake, but it still has a heat shield that makes some difference.

I think the K&N is the best from a design standpoint.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 350zdanny
The Injen definitely has better filter placement than stock. The AEM and stock airbox are more of a "cool air" design.

I would have to agree and disagree with the INJEN statement. For cold air sake, the INJEN is located in the best location, for maintenance and everyday street use, it is not.

The K&N drop in filter was my next choice for MORE air while keeping maintenance relatively easy. But if you’re looking to increase the air flow to more than 2X, then the popcharger or CAI are the way to go.

IMO, I don’t like the placement of the NISMO or INJEN filters, unless you’re tracking your car in nice conditions. The CAI filters are prone to more dirt compared with the JWT or OEM box locations when used on the street.

This is why I mimicked the OEM design when creating my own intake, but with added air flow thru a larger cowl and conical filter. I even see water marks “in and on” my clear shield indicating that a slight bit of water or moisture gets in there. Now imagine having your filter completely exposed in your grill or close to the wheel well…

IMO>With the amount of air passing thru the intake system at the speed and rate that it does, most filter locations and materials related to the heat issue are going to be negligible to overall performance.

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-07-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:36 PM
uplz4588

Originally posted by Zquicksilver
EXACTLY... that's why I modified and designed my own

INJEN...cool looking, cold air *except for all the metal tubing, biotch to clean often.

NISMO...can't really see, semi cold air, biotch to clean often.

JWT...cool looking, semi cold air, easy to clean.

HOMEGROWN...ok looking, cold air, easy to clean.

[IMG] [/IMG]
i cant see the picture when i click it... jusst takes me to a place to buy hardcore XXX moviesv
Old 03-13-2005, 10:12 PM
JisNis

This is from my experience with the following three intakes:

Jwt Popcharger w/ Varis intake Duct(Current)
Nismo
K & N Typhoon

My BUTT dyno says that the Popcharger felt the best. At the higher RPMS it feels real good. Go with the popcharger its the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:51 PM
glide

Is the JWT very loud? Dose K&N make a complete system? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2005, 02:03 PM
sisco534

I dont think much in gains with any intake period. If you need more air this will get it to the engine along with more airflow comes more gas consumption.... but thats life. Popcharger would be my choice AEM that I have is a biotch to clean pull the darn wheel off is the easiest way to take it off to clean that stinks....
Old 03-31-2005, 06:21 PM
glide

Alright...I'm a newb, but I just bought an 03 Z Touring w/borla headers and true dual exhaust. It would seem with more air? going out there should be more coming in. Am I right? That's why I'm researching intakes. Thanks for your patience.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:25 AM
xephiron

Originally Posted by glide
Alright...I'm a newb, but I just bought an 03 Z Touring w/borla headers and true dual exhaust. It would seem with more air? going out there should be more coming in. Am I right? That's why I'm researching intakes. Thanks for your patience.
Might wanna look into high flow cats or test pipes.... if you are still using stock cats then you havent eliminated the bottleneck in the exhaust system. Up front I believe the plenum issue has been identified as the bottleneck, but I would get a higher flowing filtration system (intake) too.

All 3 of these upgrade less than $1,000... can be as low as about $500, and easily DIY
Old 04-01-2005, 06:37 PM
BATTLEZBOT

I run a AEM full cold air intake, after the install I was able to spin into 2nd gear, not mush of a hp gain got 5.3 @ the wheels, but the sound is amazing,
Old 04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
t350z

I put on the JWT popcharger last year. It sounds great and I don't doubt that air flow increased, but my butt dyno didn't notice any gains. I will be putting on my AAM angled plenum spacer and Nismo exhaust soon and I suspect that will help my intake make power.

IMO I feel that the intake will make power when the flow is freed up downstream of that: ie plenum and exhaust. The nice thing about the popcharger is that it is easy to install and easy to clean. Some of the others do guarantee cold air but seem to be more difficult to deal with on a day-to-day basis. I have worked on cars for years and I don't believe it to be a great system when you have to pull the wheel and inner fender to clean/change the air filter.

Just my opinion, but don't expect too much from an intake, as said previously, the factory design is actually quite good.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashvill
Please forgive the newbie questions and for asking questions that may have already been asked a few thousand times already.

I'm thinking about a cold-air intake for my 350Z.

1. I realize there are many reasons for installing such a system (intake sound, looks, personal pref, etc) but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any measurable increas in RWHP and/or torque after installing a system which can be backed up with actual numbers?

I've seen the ads for many different systems along with claims of potential benefits but is there any evidence available from someone whith no axe to grind to support making the investment?

Thanks in advance for any help/info!
First of all, Robert, welcome to the forum from someone else in your area!

Second, especially in the mod forums, asking a question that has been discussed 15 times before is NOT stupid as new members with new opinions not previously heard join the forum, and as new mods are being introduced almost daily which may not have been discussed in previous threads.

I would also strongly encourage you to call and talk with Doug at Crawford Z Car downtown on State Street. He is a great resource for the area, as he comes from a racing background, and knows these cars like few others do. His opinion: the stock air box is pretty good, and he has even seen very slight (1-5) rwhp DECREASES with CAIs, when testing cars running his intake/exh. bolt-ons. Unfortunately, the answer in general is that it depends on which CAI you buy in combination with what other mods you have on your car, but in any event, don't expect large gains, and if you choose to do it, do it for sound/looks, not for xtra rwhp.