Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Crawford Plenum Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 02:52 PM
MIKE3348

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crawford Plenum Install

I just installed the new Crawford Cast Plenum. I just followed the instructions and the install went without a hitch. I chrome plated the Crawford strut bar. A little eye candy never hurts!! What took the longest to do was to trim the OEM plenum cover. After triming the cover I used black door edge trim to finish off the edges. I can really tell the difference at the higher rpm"s. Great mod! Enclosed are a few install pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Crawford Plenum Install-install2.jpg  
Old 03-05-2005, 02:53 PM
MIKE3348

pic 2
Attached Thumbnails Crawford Plenum Install-install1.jpg  
Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job!
Old 03-06-2005, 03:52 AM
jovasi

Nice, I'd loose the engine cover though. Show off that beautiful motor!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:32 PM
dougrace zs

As we have been talking to people about the install, it has become obvious that there have been problems with the install / install document. The main issue is a bracket that is located on drivers side in front of the lower plenum. It is stamped with the label "M3" (Go figure). This bracket has been getting caught between the upper an lower plenum and can cause a leak. The instructions have made it more clear with descriptions and pictures, but basically the skipped step that needs to happen is the removal of this bracket. All it does is hold a wire loom. New loom brackets are included.

See "support" section of website to get new manual.

http://www.crawfordzcar.com

or just go here:

http://www.crawfordz.com/support/PlenumInstallation.pdf
Old 03-07-2005, 04:58 PM
enhanced250

after intstalling the plenum how do i check for leaks other than listening jsut want to make sure because i dont feel really anything after i put mine on? maybe a leak?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 PM
maximumsportZ

I get this hollow sound from mine when im driving.. is that normal?? the idle is fine.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:06 PM
StandAloneZ

I disconnected the battery for 24 hours and I'm gettin some wierd idle. It idles at normal rpms but seems to be bouncing up and down very slightly. Also when i drive it for more than 5 minutes and come to a complete stop the idle goes below normal rpms and the car almost seems like its gonna die. What else can i do?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:18 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by StandAloneZ
I disconnected the battery for 24 hours and I'm gettin some wierd idle. It idles at normal rpms but seems to be bouncing up and down very slightly. Also when i drive it for more than 5 minutes and come to a complete stop the idle goes below normal rpms and the car almost seems like its gonna die. What else can i do?
Did you disconnect the Throttle body harness when you removed it for install?

If you did, I bet you need to go through the idle air volume learning procedure.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:19 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by maximumsportZ
I get this hollow sound from mine when im driving.. is that normal?? the idle is fine.
It should sound normal, unless you have an intake of some kind. Those usually play with the sound.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by enhanced250
after intstalling the plenum how do i check for leaks other than listening jsut want to make sure because i dont feel really anything after i put mine on? maybe a leak?
Usually you can hear them. You can spray some brake cleaner around the flange edge and if the engine changes idle then you have a leak.

Let me know what you find.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:42 AM
StandAloneZ

Yes, I did disconnect the harness, can you lead me to the idle air volume learning procedure. Thank You.

Last edited by StandAloneZ; 03-08-2005 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 AM
VandyZ

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm
Old 03-08-2005, 11:10 AM
StandAloneZ

What if i dont have a CEL on? Should I still follow these procedures?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:55 PM
enhanced250

i have a hissing noise from the front left side of my plenum i dunno if its the plenum (which i highly doubt because i torqued the crap of the bolts and its as tight as prossible) or is there something over there that makes a hissing noise thank you!

also i didnt have a leak for the first 2 weeks i had the plenum then it reared it ugly head today so i suggest everyone checks the plenum or just do the fix from there website
Old 03-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by enhanced250
i have a hissing noise from the front left side of my plenum i dunno if its the plenum (which i highly doubt because i torqued the crap of the bolts and its as tight as prossible) or is there something over there that makes a hissing noise thank you!

also i didnt have a leak for the first 2 weeks i had the plenum then it reared it ugly head today so i suggest everyone checks the plenum or just do the fix from there website
are you supposed to "torque the crap" out of the plenum bolts? i thought you weren't.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:21 AM
350zdanny

If you torque the crap out of the stock bolts the heads will eventually pop off and you'll have to drill them out. If you are hearing a hiss from general area of the plenum (i know, it's hard with all the ambient noise) spray something like VandyZ said or run your hand over the area.

As far as the M3 bracket, I chose to leave it in place but just grind a few millimeters off the edge that was abstructing the plenum. It took about 30 seconds with a Dremel but you could use a regular file too.

Throttle body connector - I have removed this wire and not had any problems. However an idle relearn won't hurt anything. If you can't figure it out, Nissan techs can do it in about 3 seconds the next time you go to get your oil changed.

Overall I'm happy with the new plenum as well. It was a little more of a hassle than the previous ones, but it's certainly worth the effort as it looks better, and probably doesn't flex at all.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:52 AM
VandyZ

Originally Posted by 350zdanny
Throttle body connector - I have removed this wire and not had any problems. However an idle relearn won't hurt anything. If you can't figure it out, Nissan techs can do it in about 3 seconds the next time you go to get your oil changed.
Same here. Most times it is ok, sometimes it requires resetting.

If you do take it in and let Nissan reset it with consult, base idle has to be restored to factory before Consult will let you relearn idle air volume. So if you do have your idle raised as many of us do, be sure to let them know. Also make sure they put your idle back to save yourself an extra trip back to the service dept.