Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

My Crazy Loud Exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 10:22 PM
05 NISMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Crazy Loud Exhaust...

Just finish install my exhaust system... and man was that sh*t loud and crazy, will post some video clip soon... helix test pipe, OBX y-pipe, topspeed exhaust system... this is a great setup, if any wanted to get pull over by the cops... but I havent gotten pull over yet, just asking for it, haha... btw, has anyone here gotten pull over for your aftermarket exhaust? if so, what was the damage?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Marcus

Default My New Borla Exhaust

Hey Z Fans:

I just got my Z back with the Borla True Cat Back Dual Exhaust and Borla Headers. The reason I chose Borla, was because it was the only company that had Californai smog legal exhaust and headers. Everyone else had smog approved exhaust, but not headers. I thought I should do the whole ball of wax in order to get the biggest performance increase. Wow! was it worth the money. It now feels and sounds like a V8. The torque increase is really noticeable over 4,000RPM. And the sound at high RPM with the headers makes it sound like a muscle car. Just to be sure it wasn't my imagination, I had several guys at work drive it, who had driven it with the stock set-up. And they all said the car takes on an entirely different character. More muscle they all said. I also have a cold air intake as well. I left the Borla resonators on, but my muffler guy said that if I want, he temporarily take them off to let me see if I like the extra loudness.

As far as installation goes, I'm glad I chose a customer muffler guy to do it. Removal of the stock headers was easy, but it was very time consuming to put the new headers on. They are hard to get to requiring under and over the car to access them. He bruised several knuckles in the process. After the header installation, the rest was cake he said. He used the Borla clamps, but after driving it a while, and making sure there was no rubbing or rattles, he spot welded it in several places to make sure nothing moves out of place. He had to cut and reshape the brace that holds the cats in place as well, which Boral never mentions in their instructions.

By the way, don't buy stuff directly from Borla. But it from a distributor. You save about 20%. I'll get back to you all when I try it without resonators.

Have fun with your Z's:

Marcus
Old 03-17-2005, 11:57 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure what Marcus was saying but CARB does not regulate exhaust after the cats.

If you were to get in trouble it would be for excess noise, I think the exhaust is just a fix it ticket, not sure these days though, you might want to save your old system just in case.

Chris
Old 03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Marcus

Default Borla Exhaust

Thanks for your reply Chris. I love this stuff!

You are correct about exhaust after the cats being smog approved. But in California, and I know this from a very expensive past experience, it's illegal to install headers that are not smog legal. I don't know how they can catch you, but on my last car, it was spotted in the visual inspection. California really takes the fun out of owning a hot car.

As for noise, with the resonators in place, the Borla is actually quite quiet at normal driving speeds. It's no louder than the stock exhaust, just deeper and more muscular sounding. At high rpm there's a howl that's very intoxicating, which comes from the headers, but still not really loud. When I try it with the resonators removed, you may be right, I'll be asking for a ticket. But that remains to be seen. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, my muffler guy's name is Chris!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Road Warrior

05 nismo, congrats on your loud exhaust....i am sure the cops are going love you....and when they do pull you over they will be more inclined to check out your catless exhaust....which can carry some heavy fines...best of luck

Last edited by Road Warrior; 03-17-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 PM
05 NISMO

Road Warrior, by any chance, whats the heavy fine damage on catless exhuast?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Acree

i will be gettin this exhaust very soon. i want to see what u consider "very loud." the clip coming soon?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:30 PM
jreiter

I wasn't aware they could fine you right then and there. If a cop was able to somehow determine you had no cats (or figured you had something illegal), I thought they could give you a fix-it ticket and also require you to go to an inspection. If that happens, why wouldn't you just throw on the stock cats before the inspection? I've never had this happen, so I don't know. I'm just wondering how a cop could detect you had no cats when you can't even see under the car without jacking it up. I guess he could *smell* it from behind the car when it was running (since cat-less cars smell very obvious), but he couldn't *see* it.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:55 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

There is rumor that some cops carry mirrors to look under cars for cats.

It really depends, if you got caught in a street racing sting operation, you are probably doomed because they will be looking for stuff like that (+ if you are attending, they can impound your car). If you are just getting pulled over for disturbing the piece, then it might just end up being a fix it for the sound, and not the cats.

This is what the CHP has to say in their "Street Legal" pamphlet located here
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Illegal engine modifications. Most are illegal due to smog (27156 VC > http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27156.htm ). See Air Resources Board web site for more info and list of parts that are legal.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150 > http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27150.htm, 27151 VC > http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm ). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't.

Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.

I could not fine exact cost anywhere for noise or CARB violations. I hate how vague it all is. It seams law makers use a lot of words to say so little

Chris
Old 03-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Road Warrior

o5 nismo, my intention was only to make you aware that there can be fines....up to 10,000 from what i have read. this is a federal as well as a state violation if my memory serves me....and at my age i could be wrong

i did my research long ago but after i bought my test pipe at the time.... and then decided to sell the test pipe and go back to the oem cat (this was on a previous car) because i simply didn't want to take the risk...and my exhaust was rather loud so a cop would have more of a tendency to check it out if he really wanted to be a jerk.

i now have the crawford cats, which is still illegal mind you, but i believe these will pass a visual as well as the sniffer. they don't look as obvious as a test pipe but flow nearly the same and the rest of my exhaust including the header and catback are really not that loud in combination. i chose to go quieter this time around when i modded my z and go with a cat that looks stock just because of my experience. i have been pulled over with my z and the cop never even said a thing about the exhaust so i believe that it just attracts less attention when its quieter....and to each his own...some like them loud and some don't. its also a lot quieter in the cabin....but don't get me wrong....i love the roar of a deep, throaty exhaust.

i am not trying to scare you or be a dick about it but do some research just to see on your own. it still all depends on the cop if you ask me but you are in california...the worst place possible for smog violations

if your smart about it i doubt you will ever get caught...you will however have to change out those test pipes when it comes to smogging as they won't pass the sniffer...or visual. its an easy job so no sweat there....just be smart and you should be ok

nice post hypersprite....good links and there is a lot more info out there if you dig hard enough...and like you say some of it is very vague

rw...peace out

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
There is rumor that some cops carry mirrors to look under cars for cats.

It really depends, if you got caught in a street racing sting operation, you are probably doomed because they will be looking for stuff like that (+ if you are attending, they can impound your car). If you are just getting pulled over for disturbing the piece, then it might just end up being a fix it for the sound, and not the cats.

This is what the CHP has to say in their "Street Legal" pamphlet located here
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Illegal engine modifications. Most are illegal due to smog (27156 VC > http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27156.htm ). See Air Resources Board web site for more info and list of parts that are legal.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150 > http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27150.htm, 27151 VC > http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm ). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't.

Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.

I could not fine exact cost anywhere for noise or CARB violations. I hate how vague it all is. It seams law makers use a lot of words to say so little

Chris