Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

pop-charger???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:01 PM
NissanZfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pop-charger???

Now dont get on me for asking this question, because it is kinda dumb but something i do not understand. What exactly is a pop-charger? From my understanding it is a airfilter. I look on stillen webpage and they have an airfilter but dont call it a pop-charger. Is pop-charger a "fancy" name for cold airfilter, or is there a difference. I also look online and see they are priced from $180-$250. The 250 being stillen, is the price difference really worth it? What do you guys think is the best bang for your buck? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:21 PM
CelticPride2

You're right...the PopCharger is an air intake. It's manufactured by Jim Wolf Technologies, and PopCharger is the brand name they use for it. If you do a search of the forums, you'll probably find several threads comparing it to the other air intakes on the market (Nismo, Injen, etc.).

Whereabouts have you been seeing it priced from $180-$250? The reason why I ask is because most people I know have been able to get one for much cheaper than that. Try looking over at AvalonRacing.com...last time I looked, they were selling PopChargers for around $110.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:45 PM
NissanZfan

Yes, thankyou I do see the cheaper priced ones. I would like to get some input on what one is the best. I know that opinions are like *** holes everybody has one, but just curious to get some info. If you go on the web and check out the different sites they all claim they are the best and what not, but one has to be better than the other. Is a "pop-charger" necessarily better than the other air intake. Thankyou everybody for your input.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most will say get the JWT Popcharger because it sounds the best and offers the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:53 PM
BIGDAWG75

Thumbs up

I Have Had One On Both Of My Roadsters And I Like The Sound And The Car Does Seem To Have A Liitle More Punch. It Is Worth The $100.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:14 PM
amf813

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only replaces your stock air box....When I heard the name "Pop charger" I thought it would be more than that. I have heard that they are over-rated. Don't be cheap and get a real CAI.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Hogstar

POP works for me, auto even shifts better. Worth the dough..pop for it dude!

Paid $120.00 like 4 mos. ago.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Moved.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:54 PM
DMD

Just installed the JWT pop charger today, couldn't be happier...alot quicker to redline and a great throaty whistle sound above 4K rpm's...what are you waiting for go buy this...
Old 04-03-2005, 03:58 PM
808_FairladyZ

All forms of intake systems available for the 350Z make very minimal gains to be competitive with each other, but prices very greatly depending on what brand you get. What you should be concidering is:"Will this intake system work well in my geological environment,(Locations that rain excesivelly my be subject to Hydrolock due to water consumption while utilizing CAI intake systems that place the filter element within your vehicle bumper)will it be difficult to install, and how much will it cost for the unit?". I've installed the JWT Popcharger into my vehicle and swear by it's gains(Mid to top end), but more importantly, this unit sounds wonderful at WOT and with the Carbon Fiber Intake Pipe that i got through Avalon Racing, it looks even better. IMO, this unit was worth every penny and it doesn't even cost that much @ $119.00 per unit.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Never seen a CAI hydrolock from driving in the rain. Heck, never seen one hydrolock from hitting a puddle either.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:59 AM
808_FairladyZ

Filter element needs to be submerged in water in order for your engine to ingest water( which was clearly stated in my response) which in turn would cause your engine to hydrolock...but then again i could be wrong. Hay, i have a good idea, why don't you submerge your intake system in water and let us now once and for all if this is by any means true. I mean come on man, i've made a valid point and your not helping.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a couple people who've hydrolocked due to submerging the filter in a LARGE puddle. I've not had any problems w/ mine on the Prelude in three years.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by 808_FairladyZ
Filter element needs to be submerged in water in order for your engine to ingest water( which was clearly stated in my response) which in turn would cause your engine to hydrolock...but then again i could be wrong. Hay, i have a good idea, why don't you submerge your intake system in water and let us now once and for all if this is by any means true. I mean come on man, i've made a valid point and your not helping.
It would have to ingest water for more than 3 seconds to cause damage. Anything less would simply be burnt up from the high engine temps and any less water wouldn't be able to be sucked up all the way through the tube to the throttle body. I wasn't criticizing you, just elaborating on what you said....if I was criticizing you, I would have quoted you.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:38 AM
VinUnleaded

Whats the latest on 6MT's stalling with the Pop Charger?
I noticed the AT folks are happy...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
808_FairladyZ

No stalling here. I did have my battery disconnected during install and upon re-connecting my battery, i allowed the engine to idle for 15 min. Battery was disconnected for about 6 hours. Don't know if this made a difference but i haven't had any problems yet.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:34 PM
DMD

Originally Posted by 808_FairladyZ
No stalling here. I did have my battery disconnected during install and upon re-connecting my battery, i allowed the engine to idle for 15 min. Battery was disconnected for about 6 hours. Don't know if this made a difference but i haven't had any problems yet.
I didn't even disconnect my battery when I installed the pop charger and no problems so far....Best MOD so far!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:44 PM
xephiron

Originally Posted by DMD
I didn't even disconnect my battery when I installed the pop charger and no problems so far....Best MOD so far!!!
On a 350Z, as well as many other NEW cars, I understand disconnecting the battery no longer resets the ECU. I think you have to do the procedure (outlined step by step by Technosquare). Highest dyno I have seen is the popcharger by JWT (yes cone with a heat shield for about $120) but the CAI guys will tell you cold air isn't available at the dyno. Heh... I would figure out something too if I spent $350 and dynoe'd 4.5 horses (compared to JWT's 6.5 RWHP). Maybe they pull up to an air conditioner set as cold as it will go, and pile on a bag of ice on their plenum too. Wait, I guess you could do that to a stock 350Z too LOL Ever been to the beach in Arizona?

Seriously, all kidding aside I don't like the current CAI designs they lengthen the intake tube, add some bends, and have small filters. Screwing up intake pulses and is it really cooler inside a metal pipe compared to behind a metal heat shield?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:40 PM
DMD

Originally Posted by xephiron
On a 350Z, as well as many other NEW cars, I understand disconnecting the battery no longer resets the ECU. I think you have to do the procedure (outlined step by step by Technosquare). Highest dyno I have seen is the popcharger by JWT (yes cone with a heat shield for about $120) but the CAI guys will tell you cold air isn't available at the dyno. Heh... I would figure out something too if I spent $350 and dynoe'd 4.5 horses (compared to JWT's 6.5 RWHP). Maybe they pull up to an air conditioner set as cold as it will go, and pile on a bag of ice on their plenum too. Wait, I guess you could do that to a stock 350Z too LOL Ever been to the beach in Arizona?

Seriously, all kidding aside I don't like the current CAI designs they lengthen the intake tube, add some bends, and have small filters. Screwing up intake pulses and is it really cooler inside a metal pipe compared to behind a metal heat shield?
Would it be possible to use metal tubing and run the air conditioning freon around the metal pipe (kind of like a chemistry glass tube condenser) to cool the air even further??? Would this improve anything?

Last edited by DMD; 04-05-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:28 PM
mikz350

a/c will gob you around5-15whp maybe youl gain 4whp max by trowing that fresh air into intake
not a good ide
Originally Posted by DMD
Would it be possible to use metal tubing and run the air conditioning freon around the metal pipe (kind of like a chemistry glass tube condenser) to cool the air even further??? Would this improve anything?