Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Z Tube & Pop-Charger Install (THOUGHTS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:14 AM
halitosis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Tube & Pop-Charger Install (THOUGHTS)

To preface: I have a Enthusiast Z and my buddy has a G35c with the 19' Ray's wheels.

Last night, we decided to install the Z tube and pop-charger last night. I wanted post our impression about the modification and the procedure.

The stock intake tube on the G35c was surprising to me with the two "air bladders" attached to the main tube. I assumed that it was there to provide for low end torque by supplying more air volume, but some cursory research indicates that it is actually to make the induction noise quieter on the G. The Z tube was substantially longer and wider diameter that the G OEM. Just looking at the differences in the two, you could see how the Z tube would flow much better than stock. The Pop-charger install has been covered many times before so I'll just say that the Z-tube install complements the Pop-charger very well.

First thing that you notice is that the intake noise is much more pronounced. For the first few miles, the car was noticably slower (ECU readjusting the curves, I guess) but after a few stop and go's, the G came to life and the sound became much more louder, similar to my Z with the pop-charger. Surprise, surprise. The sound at WOT gives me goosebumps. It's like a amplified version of Chewbacca's purr. But more metallic... I think that's a good description of the sound.

To sum it all up, I would recommend this install for (1) the sound and (2) the butt-dyno gains past 4000 rpm. It is very much noticable.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:52 PM
g35guy86

yeah when i first installed mine i noticed the sound at wot was beautiful and after a few miles were put on it the ecu adjusted and i felt a power gain deffinitly. nice easy mod to install.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:36 PM
skeemer

Does putting a Z-tube in void the warranty?

This is my first car with a warranty, I'm 22 and have had all used cars before, so I'm unfamliar with what constitutes warranty voidings.

Also, what other mods can I do without voiding the warranty?
Old 10-29-2005, 02:19 PM
bk836

New to the site with an '05 G so if anyone can enlighten me as to the Z-tube and pop charger, as well as where to purchase, I would appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:13 PM
lennox

I don't think it would void your warranty because it is an aproved nissan part bolted to the same engine. if you have any doubts just hold onto the g35 intake and replace it if you have to visit the dealers. and I second the ztube install the sound is better more agressive at high rpm and a hp power difference is noticed. I droped in a K/N drop box filter first and noticed my bottom end was not as good maybe because of back pressure with the stock filter or maybe the ecu didn't readjust yet. but then I added the Ztube a couple weeks later and liked it. cheap mod and worth it. i've heard the extra 7hp in the Z is manely from the intake. 280 for the G35 coupe vs 287 for the 350Z.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:43 PM
D87

Keep your eye on your MPG, and please report if you see a dip or an increase. There's been some controversy about this.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:30 PM
halitosis

Originally Posted by D87
Keep your eye on your MPG, and please report if you see a dip or an increase. There's been some controversy about this.
Issues
(1) MPG - It may deviate from the norm immediately after the mod while the ECU learns to deal with the increase in air flow to the engine but after the fuel curves adjust (40 miles or so) the MPG will increase, all else equal. The controversy revolves around that fact that this kind if mod changes the sound of the engine and people usually end up being a little bit more heavy-footed. I know I did. (still do.)

(2) WARRANTY. It will not void the warranty unless the tube is proven to be THE reason why you had an repair issue. The Z tube can be replaced for the OEM tube easily. Just swap it out prior to a service visit if you are worried.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Jtrain

Originally Posted by skeemer
Does putting a Z-tube in void the warranty?

This is my first car with a warranty, I'm 22 and have had all used cars before, so I'm unfamliar with what constitutes warranty voidings.

Also, what other mods can I do without voiding the warranty?

Voids it on the Mass air flow controler

Which is a 600$ part.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Zerk

An intake modification does not affect the drivetrain warranty, being that the drivetrain has not been modified. When you're changing the intake, you're increasing the amount of air and how the air flows into your engine. However adding a Vortech supercharger or a NO2 kit will void warranty because there are certain modifications to the drivetrain that need to be done.