Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Dyno: crawford plenum vs motordyne spacer

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:29 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dougrace zs
Normally I do not post nor respond in regards to the “plenum/spacer” wars that have been going on since we introduced our performance plenum over 2 ½ years ago. But I feel that it is my responsibility to set the record straight in response to copbait’s continuing posts regarding Crawford and who speaks for us and who we are.

There are only two official spokespersons for Crawford Z Car- me, Doug Stewart and VandyZ (Adam Broslat). We both have SPONSOR attached to our posts identifying us as such.

NO ONE ELSE SPEAKS FOR ME OR CRAWFORD Z CAR, and I cannot control what others say, whether they support us or choose to bash us. To those that refer to our supporters as “pimps” or “cheerleaders” and who discount every dyno sheet and testimonial regarding our products, so be it. I cannot change that, but at the same time I know that our products perform, are cost effective, work right the first time, and that I will do anything I can to help our customers, or anyone just looking for information. I am more than glad to help anyone, based on my 25+ years of experience in this business, with straightforward advice and suggestions.

I know that we have thousands of satisfied customers out there, and gain new ones every day, and for that- THANK YOU!

To copbait-
You have been consistent in your posts from day one- bashing us at every opportunity, and anyone who supports our products. Frankly, I am tired of it, and at this point, it shows complete bias and spite from you regarding our products, the source of which I frankly do not understand. I do not believe you and I have ever spoken, or had an exchange on the boards, or even exchanged e-mails.

You coincidentally showed up at the exactly the same time Hydrazine released his spacer, and obviously you are part of his “crew” or possibly, as has been suggested, you are Hydrazine (I do not believe to be the case). Either way, you come off no differently than the target of your initial posts on this forum, PHOENIXINX, who you called out for his posts regarding our testing a spacer made out of stacked plenum gaskets (which we did do). Your continued rehashing of that episode (long forgotten except by you), and your reference to us calling the spacer “snake oil” is frankly getting old. I never posted anything resembling that, which you continuously refer to, and am not responsible for what someone else said, even if YOU mistakenly perceived that those thoughts represented me or Crawford Z Car.

You are now the one guilty of the same behavior you called PHOENIXINX out for earlier.

I have never posted on a Kinetix thread (even when they were experiencing trouble with their initial plenum offering), nor have I posted on any of the spacer threads. For those looking for an option to our products, there are several choices out there, and if people choose to go those other routes, that is fine with me. I will say that in most cases you get what you pay for, and that our plenum, headers and cats do make power, are reliable, and offer excellent performance without compromise in price, quality or satisfaction among those that have them.

What is your contribution to the Z and G community?
Do you sponsor this forum? Do you support Z and G clubs around the country by sponsoring their events? Do you have 25+ years experience servicing, racing and modifying Nissans? When was the last time you spent your money and months of your time to develop a part that provides proven, reliable horsepower gains (we’ve sold thousands of plenums) and were the pioneer that the others followed or copied? How much money have you spent dynoing to see if this or that change in design MIGHT work?

Dynos and variables are a fact, and I stand behind our plenum, headers and cats, the research and development that went into them, and will not get into the debate regarding dynos from here or there and why they are so different. Believe what you want, but also remember that there can be a myriad of reasons a dyno shows different results and that they just give you a snapshot of that time and place, and are only a tool, one of many available to us.

Sorry to be so long, but it’s not often I post, and I just wanted to set the record straight. I do not intend to get into any type of debate on the boards, but am always willing to share facts and information based on experience and
testing and a desire to maintain the reputation I have worked so hard to build.

Doug Stewart
Crawford Z Car Service
Nashville, TN
www.crawfordzcar.com
crawfordzcar@comcast.net
Man can you hear me laughing from Iraq..I havent bought anything for my Z however Ive emailed Doug once or twice about his plenum and he has been very very helpful. Im still not sure what I will buy, but if his product is anything like his character (as evidence of his post) I will buy his product just for that. A few more hp between products isnt going to sell me. Its the people behind the product that sells me. Doug, Bravo! And thanks again for proving there is still character left in the world..
Old 05-17-2005, 12:35 PM
copba1t

Crawford:

I think we already covered how when someone from a company with company tags makes remarks on behalf of the company, they also represent the company. If you don't like that then maybe that person shouldn't be posting with company tags.

When one of your employee says "We did a spacer and guess what, ZERO GAINS...SNAKE OIL" then either he is lying on purpose to discredit the spacer, which is dirty business, or he is telling the truth and you guys just missed the mark on your design. It's either one of those two, which is it? Please clarify because I would very much like to know.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LMG_35C
...ditto

- let's keep this a learning and sharing tool that is based on facts, and is open to opinion but not bias. The world already has too much bias manipulating the press.

Doug, thanks for chiming in with a very professional response.
- and note that I bought a Mortordyne spacer only becasue I wanted to keep the stock look, and had trusted the experience of other board members. It seemed to be a reasonalable ($$) alternative to a full Plenum replacement.

My car is my hobby...not my life. Learning is my life and when we stop doing that, it's all over.
to all, agreed...this is a place to learn and gather info...not to bash one another. crawford has been nothing but good for the z community and i don't recall them bashing others. if any of you have had the pleasure of talking to the crawford folks you would understand that they are very good at what they do and don't mind helping you out even if you don't have their products

to lmg, imo though, the crawford plenum looks more stock because its one piece vs two. i also like the fact that it has only two mounting points on top so less chance for leaks. seems the air would flow better too because you have less obstruction inside with the two pillars vs six on the stocker. there is also even distribution of air with the same size and volume for all cylinders. just my .02 but all of the spacers and the crawford plenum have very good gains so you can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my intent in starting this thread was to get the dyno experts to weigh in re the results of my dyno pulls. then it gradually morphed into something else, and if i contributed to the name calling, i humbly apologize. i run crawford cats and headers because they are the best quality on the market, imo. if anyone has problems with any vendors, please deal with it via pm to the vendor. lets keep my thread a learning and information-exchange venue, please.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by dougrace zs
Normally I do not post nor respond in regards to the “plenum/spacer” wars that have been going on since we introduced our performance plenum over 2 ½ years ago. But I feel that it is my responsibility to set the record straight in response to copbait’s continuing posts regarding Crawford and who speaks for us and who we are.

There are only two official spokespersons for Crawford Z Car- me, Doug Stewart and VandyZ (Adam Broslat). We both have SPONSOR attached to our posts identifying us as such.

NO ONE ELSE SPEAKS FOR ME OR CRAWFORD Z CAR, and I cannot control what others say, whether they support us or choose to bash us. To those that refer to our supporters as “pimps” or “cheerleaders” and who discount every dyno sheet and testimonial regarding our products, so be it. I cannot change that, but at the same time I know that our products perform, are cost effective, work right the first time, and that I will do anything I can to help our customers, or anyone just looking for information. I am more than glad to help anyone, based on my 25+ years of experience in this business, with straightforward advice and suggestions.

I know that we have thousands of satisfied customers out there, and gain new ones every day, and for that- THANK YOU!

To copbait-
You have been consistent in your posts from day one- bashing us at every opportunity, and anyone who supports our products. Frankly, I am tired of it, and at this point, it shows complete bias and spite from you regarding our products, the source of which I frankly do not understand. I do not believe you and I have ever spoken, or had an exchange on the boards, or even exchanged e-mails.

You coincidentally showed up at the exactly the same time Hydrazine released his spacer, and obviously you are part of his “crew” or possibly, as has been suggested, you are Hydrazine (I do not believe to be the case). Either way, you come off no differently than the target of your initial posts on this forum, PHOENIXINX, who you called out for his posts regarding our testing a spacer made out of stacked plenum gaskets (which we did do). Your continued rehashing of that episode (long forgotten except by you), and your reference to us calling the spacer “snake oil” is frankly getting old. I never posted anything resembling that, which you continuously refer to, and am not responsible for what someone else said, even if YOU mistakenly perceived that those thoughts represented me or Crawford Z Car.

You are now the one guilty of the same behavior you called PHOENIXINX out for earlier.

I have never posted on a Kinetix thread (even when they were experiencing trouble with their initial plenum offering), nor have I posted on any of the spacer threads. For those looking for an option to our products, there are several choices out there, and if people choose to go those other routes, that is fine with me. I will say that in most cases you get what you pay for, and that our plenum, headers and cats do make power, are reliable, and offer excellent performance without compromise in price, quality or satisfaction among those that have them.

What is your contribution to the Z and G community?
Do you sponsor this forum? Do you support Z and G clubs around the country by sponsoring their events? Do you have 25+ years experience servicing, racing and modifying Nissans? When was the last time you spent your money and months of your time to develop a part that provides proven, reliable horsepower gains (we’ve sold thousands of plenums) and were the pioneer that the others followed or copied? How much money have you spent dynoing to see if this or that change in design MIGHT work?

Dynos and variables are a fact, and I stand behind our plenum, headers and cats, the research and development that went into them, and will not get into the debate regarding dynos from here or there and why they are so different. Believe what you want, but also remember that there can be a myriad of reasons a dyno shows different results and that they just give you a snapshot of that time and place, and are only a tool, one of many available to us.

Sorry to be so long, but it’s not often I post, and I just wanted to set the record straight. I do not intend to get into any type of debate on the boards, but am always willing to share facts and information based on experience and
testing and a desire to maintain the reputation I have worked so hard to build.

Doug Stewart
Crawford Z Car Service
Nashville, TN
www.crawfordzcar.com
crawfordzcar@comcast.net

As usual, a true professional in response...as most vendors here are. Keep up the great work for us in the Z community. See ya this weekend at ZDayZ!!
Old 05-17-2005, 03:23 PM
maximumsportZ

Doug = Z god.

Doug has always helped me out I just want to give him props!!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:14 PM
slowxturtle

I would like to give him e-props too. 2 of them.......... yeah...
Old 05-17-2005, 08:45 PM
copba1t

I'm not talking about quality of products, I'm talking about business practices. Apparently the Crawford cronies can't seem to differentiate between the two.

I guess so as long as most of their posts are professional and helpful, it's ok to use cheap tactics to discredit, mock, and belittle someone else's hard work and effort (BOTH Altered Atmosphere and Motordyne in this case). Nice standards you guys have
Old 05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
copba1t

Originally Posted by Z BOY
my intent in starting this thread was to get the dyno experts to weigh in re the results of my dyno pulls. then it gradually morphed into something else, and if i contributed to the name calling, i humbly apologize. i run crawford cats and headers because they are the best quality on the market, imo. if anyone has problems with any vendors, please deal with it via pm to the vendor. lets keep my thread a learning and information-exchange venue, please.
No suprise to me really, any thread entitled ProductA vs ProductB is just gonna end up that way, especially considering the history in this particular case, it was almost guaranteed
Old 05-17-2005, 09:01 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by copba1t
I'm not talking about quality of products, I'm talking about business practices. Apparently the Crawford cronies can't seem to differentiate between the two.

I guess so as long as most of their posts are professional and helpful, it's ok to use cheap tactics to discredit, mock, and belittle someone else's hard work and effort (BOTH Altered Atmosphere and Motordyne in this case). Nice standards you guys have
Can you send us the link to this "snake oil" topic. Being new to the board, I would like to read, and I try to get both sides of the story, however in this thread it seems that you have been the one degrading and belittling Crawford. And yes it does seem that you "are" talking about the quality of their products. Let me ask you, and this being from outside of the box. Do you think that Doug and the Crawford guys would have lasted in business as long as they have and not have quality business practices and products. Im trying to figure out why you seem to have such a hard on for these guys and their practices, not unless their "sales" somehow affect you. And what are some of these claims that you are talking about. Can you back them up. If you dont have proof, that my friend is slander. You might want to look that up. Remember what your mama always said, "If you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all!"
Old 05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
Can you send us the link to this "snake oil" topic. Being new to the board, I would like to read, and I try to get both sides of the story, however in this thread it seems that you have been the one degrading and belittling Crawford. And yes it does seem that you "are" talking about the quality of their products. Let me ask you, and this being from outside of the box. Do you think that Doug and the Crawford guys would have lasted in business as long as they have and not have quality business practices and products. Im trying to figure out why you seem to have such a hard on for these guys and their practices, not unless their "sales" somehow affect you. And what are some of these claims that you are talking about. Can you back them up. If you dont have proof, that my friend is slander. You might want to look that up. Remember what your mama always said, "If you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all!"
+1
Old 05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Z BOY

numbers speak louder than words.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Z Boy u are correct, and I am speaking for myself when I say that a few HP that are gained from one product over another really doesnt matter. What matters to "me" is the quality of work, which im not disputing by any means because i have no experience with the spacers, and the personal attention that either a distributor or maker has for their products and is willing to back them. Passion about a product sells more than numbers because when you believe in something then you are willing to put yourself out there for what you believe in. But as I said before I speak for myself.

I do want to apoligize for getting off of the subject. If the spacers work for you and your gains are what makes you happy, then more power to you. If it is the plenum that works for you and the gains make you happy, then more power to you. Its an individual preference to what you want to put in your own car. Everyone has their own goals for their own cars, so why is it that so many people flame others for the mods they put it their own cars. As an old Sgt once told me "People just need to stay in their own lanes."
Old 05-17-2005, 11:10 PM
thawk408

I do not have any experience with Motordyne, but I do have experience with Crawford. Doug has been very nice and a huge help to me and modding my Z. He is always there to listen and answer my questions and if he doesn't know the answer he will flat out tell me that he doesn't know. He is a straight shooter and I greatly appreciate his enthusiam with modding the Z. I put trust into the Crawford team and I will continue to buy their products.

If the Motordyne or another brand of spacer works for you, then awesome and good luck. I just know that the products that Crawford produces are top noch.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Z BOY

i sold my crawfrd plenum and am running the md 1/2" for my own specific reasons: based on the dynos, it appears the performance is similar btwn the two. also, i have a funky hood. the vents sit low, and both the crawfrd and kinetix plenums rubbed my hood. the md 1/2" doesn't. for MY setup, it offers the best combination of performance and fitment.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:53 AM
ypwpat

i'm on crawford side too. Even though i bought only the Hi-flow cats, from doug. i do find Doug has been a very helpfull guy. I also purchase the motordyne is because i want to keep the Stock sturtbar and stock looks to prevent the Dealers fuss.

cheers
Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 AM
copba1t

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
Specifically the third post in this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/107960-crawford-plenum-spacer-29-a.html

Old 05-18-2005, 05:50 AM
thawk408

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107960

Doug has already stated that PhoenixINX does not represent Crawford Z.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Road Warrior

again coba1t, you are way off base man.....i don't see crawford's name attached to that post in any way, shape, or form. please, if you are gonna bash somebody, especially crawford who has been nothing but great for the z community in more ways than just products, then back it up with some facts.

its really a lame effort on your part...and you are fighting a losing battle here because crawford does perform just as good as any of the spacer manufacturers.

crawford has not bashed any of those spacer guys even though when you think about it, they are using the same concept that crawford came up with a long time ago.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:11 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
I live and breathe the Crawford manifolds...

I've been around since their inception... and personally ran the second prototype. Hell, a bit of my sweat went into them. We tried this idea (spacer) YEARS ago, within weeks of getting the Z. NO GAINS.

They don't leak, they work great... End of story. There are steel! We don't use cork gaskets! Also, PLEASE don't use RTV around the plenum, as gas/fumes gets into this area and causes EXTREME deterieration of the RTV compound itself.

No offense, but the whole spacer idea should NEVER cost anyone more than what they carry in their wallet. It's a cheap idea, and gives subpar if any results.

Though hey... whatever works. People LOVE snake oil.

Best of luck in the business.

We'll be at the Dragon with several Crawford powered cars, have anything you want to bring?
This one statement in the third reply of that thread is what you are basing their bad company practice on??
If you read the whole thread you will notice that this spacer idea was,to me, a joke or an opportunity to make an existing product more efficient and affordable!! If anything Doug seemed to be trying to come up with something that wouldnt cost the Z owners an outrageous price that they were paying for other spacers at that particular time. If people remain open minded then they are opened up to "invent" new ideas or to make existing ones better and maybe alittle more accessible to people who are in other ways unable to acquire these high end things. Maybe Doug was trying to perfect an idea that had existed and he wanted to see if he could make it better and more affordable. See even when you are trying to make him look bad, your making him look better and better.. See, your competitors are your best advertisement..

Last edited by ncparamedic; 05-18-2005 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Dyno: crawford plenum vs motordyne spacer