Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Got a JIC Y-Pipe... Japtrix midpipe vs. stock midpipe w reducer cone

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
wren57
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a JIC Y-Pipe... Japtrix midpipe vs. stock midpipe w reducer cone

Just picked up a JIC Y-pipe with 3" outlet, need to make this work with my stock 2.5" inlet muffler. What are some pros/cons of getting a Japtrix midpipe over having a reducer cone welded to the stock midpipe? Are there any? Thoughts appreciated!
Old 05-19-2005, 02:58 PM
vfr350

I did the Dr Gas reducer to the stock B pipe to mate to my gruppe s ypipe. All worked good but the gaskets gruppe s provided for the cats. They leaked, swapped with a new set of stock gaskets, no more leak. Was actually funny found the leak and a cracked cat but got that fixed for $10. I'm atually looking to change the sound a bit more when I install my PRO-1 headers, I might put a reducer on the muffler and go with a 3" b pipe that I found for around $250....
http://www.vrsexhaust.com/VRS_PICS/vrs_pics.html
Old 05-20-2005, 05:31 AM
copba1t

Only real difference would be cost, as long as you get a decent weld on the reducer it should be the same flow-wise.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 AM
vfr350

Do you think by pushing the reducer closer to the muffler reduces backpresure even further? I do agree on the welds, I had to do a bit of clean up on my reducer to make it a bit better after it was welded.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:48 AM
mgl

i had both the japtrix midpipe and am currently running a reducer cone on the oem midpipe.

the japtrix midpipe is great, but with the r/t cats or res. test pipes it was too loud for me. the wider piping and smaller resonator just amplified the raspiness.

the modified oem midpipe quieted the exhaust down. and it was only $30 at my friend's muffler shop, so it was def. cheaper than the japtrix.

i haven't honestly noticed a difference in performance and did not have it dyno'd, but just based on sound, i like the modified oem midpipe better.

one more thing, if you are installing sway bars, you might wanna do that before installing the japtrix.