Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

hks racing suction kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 05:35 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by illZ
HKS filters have been proven time and time again to filter the WORST of all.
The HKS Super Mega Flow filter is one of the least efficient filters on the market for trapping microscopic dirt. Inherently a race filter, it is meant to keep bugs and leaves from being ingested.

Furthermore, a better performing air filter does not add horsepower, it gives it back. Performance air filters are designed to harmonize air flow and filtering. The efficiency of the design and slightest restriction of the air are two places where the HKS SMF excels.

Last edited by Lawn Dart; 05-27-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:04 AM
whitev8killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason im thinking of going with the hks instead of the popcharger is it is a nicer piece, it might make the same gains maybe a little more maybe a little less but all in all it looks a lot nicer. and hks is known for great parts, they have proven time and time again that they make great performing parts. the only downside is that you do have to replace the filter, but 20 bucks a month every ten months is not too bad if you ask me. supposedly the sound of the hks is great too so thanks everyone for your opinions. sorry if i started a war with all the apc popcharger guys oh sorry i mean jwt popcharger guys.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pacfwu
I soooo know that I'm gonna regret this:

given that your member since date is in 2003, I'll assume that's the year you have. and your profile says you have a track model. Using todays prices a track model is $34.6k an enthusiast is $28.75K. Thats almost $6k for a light weight set of wheels (I have as light of wheels w/ better tires than stock for $2500) a brake kit (that if actually used for the track needs to be tossed in favor of something better - $4k) and 2 types of traction control that need to be turned off when on a track. And both cars have the same hp and torque rating. So and enthusiast($28.75k) + tires and brakes ($6.5k) = $35.25K. So for an extra $650 dollars, I have a better car than yours was stock.

If I had the money for a track w/ the nismo stuff I wanted, I would buy one and don't think I'm not jealous of people who do have them. I would have one for the status of it. but that's it. you had the extra chedder and you got it. that's why I have my HKS intake.

You, however, have just lost your right to talk about bang for the buck.

"Hey it's a track, i'll buy it..."
Im not gonna even respond to any of what you said regarding the track model, this isnt a discusion on whats the best Z to buy if you want to mod it, this is about intakes. I stated my opinion, Lawn Dart his, thats it. Like somebody said, there was a website I saw years ago on like 10 different types of filters, and the HKS was the worst of them all-as far as filtartion, the only reason the EVO guys run them is because they dont have room for a large cone filter, so they run the HKS which is shaped differently and smaller. Good for them, Im speaking bang for the buck cuz I wanted the best performing intake. If there was a $600 intake with proven gains like the Pop-charger Id have it on my car now. I was comparing bang for the buck in regards to the Pop-charger vs the HKS, to me its just dumb to buy that intake your only doing it for the name, but most times like guys with all Nismo stuff, they believe they have the best $hit on their cars and its simply not true. If I really wante dto be ghetto or gain the most power I would just run the stock airbox with no filter, but how gay would that be....Enjoy your HKS, Ill enjoy my JWT. All you HKS guys get your panties in a bunch when somebody states their opinion on your intakes
Old 05-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's just that you have no couth Alberto. You buzzed in here screaming what an expensive POS the HKS intake is. The JWT Pop Charger costs $109 and the SPL intake pipe cost $150. That's $260 plus S&H. I paid $290 shipped from Injected Performance for my HKS. Get you facts straight, they cost about the same.

Here is the article I believe you are reffering to. You'll notice that the HKS and K&N (JWT) filter put out the same horsepower. While the HKS was the dirtiest, notice what it states about oiled filters. "...this oil gradually disperses into the inlet tracts of an engine, and coats the walls and in particular the air flow sensor, slowly reducing the performance of the vehicle."

Finally, let's talk about filter replacement. The HKS costs a steep $20 a filter, but you do get a variety of colors to choose from. This is where the oiled filters shine. I have a K&N air filter in my daily driver, a '93 Toyota 4wd pickup. I didn't buy the K&N for performance, I bought it to save money. A regular air filter costs about $16. I paid $38 plus $10 for the recharge kit. I'd say I've cleaned that filter about five or six times, so I've saved over $50. Heck, I even found K&N recharge kit for $2.66!!
Old 05-27-2005, 01:15 PM
pacfwu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not a discussion on models of z's, correct. the dude wanted to find out some information on a product and you have to flame not only the product, but the people that bought it. I'm not gonna say that it gives some preposterously large gains. I didn't buy it just 'cuz it was HKS. If I did it for name, I would probably have gone with nismo. I bought the intake I did based on what I like and my opinions about things. I got no beef w/ the pop charger, I just didn't want a blue filter w/ an adapter hooked up to the factory intake tube. It's not my thing. I just hate it when people show up w/ the attitude that I know what I'm talking about and you don't. you could have just said that in your opinion, you felt that the intake you chose was better b/c you get about the same performance gains for $200 less than I spent and that you like that particular kind of filter better. but you don't have to be ****-b@g about it.

p.s. you are a last word freak.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the only reason the EVO guys run them is because they dont have room for a large cone filter, so they run the HKS which is shaped differently and smaller

- nothing could be further from the truth.....we use it because it works....there are lots of cone filters that work too, and some make very good power as well; the HKS just delivers very consistent results

If there was a $600 intake with proven gains like the Pop-charger Id have it on my car now

- there is, the Gruppe-M - I'll see if I can dig my dyno up

And I will agree pacfwu - there is a thing called tact, and some have it, others don't. Don't confuse ones opinion with fact...the two are mutually exclusive. We all want what we want, and buy what we buy...none of us here needs to justify it to another, for any reason. Some people out there just dont want to buy a JWT product, period...some people swear by them. Who is right? What's that they say about **** on a bull?