Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

hks racing suction kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:18 PM
whitev8killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hks racing suction kit?

does anyone know anything about the hks racing suction kit, does it make more gains than the popcharger, how often do you have to clean the filter, any information would be appreciated. thanks in advance ~jason
Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
seanlaw

see my thread... https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/123544-she-screams-after-3k-and-the-power-is-def-noticable.html

don't know how it compares to the popcharger though, filter is not oiled and needs to be replaced once dirty...replacement elements are 20 bucks.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:02 PM
whitev8killer

How Often Do You Need To Replace Them Since It Is Hidden In The Engine Bay?? Like A Guestimate?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 PM
pacfwu

yearly.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HKS is a pop-charger with a $hittier filter (no oil) and it costs 3X as much, $100 vs $300. IMO its a joke, and only newbs who think "hey its HKS" buy it. Why spend $300 on something when $100 will see the same gains, although not look as nice. And you cant re-use the HKS filter, you have to buy new ones, you can clean and resuse the much larger pop-charge filter, I clean mine every 6000 miles to keep it running good Id bet guys with the HKS will let their filters get disgusting before they order new ones....oh btw if you want that chrome intake look you can buy a pop-charger, SPL intake tube, and a recharge kit for cheaper than the HKS....
Old 05-26-2005, 07:32 AM
seanlaw

gees...don't make assumptions...("only newbs who think "hey its HKS" buy it" and "Id bet guys with the HKS will let their filters get disgusting before they order new ones") you don't have to be rude about it. it was a simple question

plus i think oiled filters are "$hittier"
Old 05-26-2005, 08:03 AM
pacfwu

What collects more dirt: an oiled surface or a dry one?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the HKS filters actually do a very nice job of both power and filtering. Their drawback is they need replacing every 6k-10k miles. 5 packs of the filters are around $100.00

The RS intake kit is not just a pop charger - it also includes the whole pipe that connects to the throttle body as well.

FWIW, while it is expensive, it is the intake of choice for the Evo guys....makes very consistent power when combine with a reflash

Bottom line is on a Z, it makes NO difference what intake you use by and large .....a K&N drop in will make as much in terms of gains than a pop charger...and its 50% the price of JWT......so pick your poison.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

Bottom line is on a Z, it makes NO difference what intake you use by and large .....a K&N drop in will make as much in terms of gains than a pop charger...and its 50% the price of JWT......so pick your poison.
Do you have proof of these claims? I picked up 10 whp by going from an AEM intake to a Pop-charger, so dont say a k&N will do as much a pop-charger.....of course the guy with the HKS inatke "seanlaw" thinks Im being rude, Im not going to candy coat my opinion cuz you cant handle it, oiled filters trap more dirt, I like oiled filters better, enjoy your HKS.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen it time and time again with every intake combo on the Z, so yes, for my money, it makes zero difference what intake you choose. The intake is as good as the person who tunes for it, bottom line
Old 05-26-2005, 09:15 AM
pacfwu

HKS - looks good. sounds good. is good.

I bought mine since I don't like oiled filters. replacement is cheap. not a fan of CAIs. HKS is great quality. Liked the looks. Had the money.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I've seen it time and time again with every intake combo on the Z, so yes, for my money, it makes zero difference what intake you choose. The intake is as good as the person who tunes for it, bottom line
Well I have seen it go the other way so Ill see you in my rearview
Old 05-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
HKS is a pop-charger with a $hittier filter (no oil) and it costs 3X as much, $100 vs $300. IMO its a joke, and only newbs who think "hey its HKS" buy it. Why spend $300 on something when $100 will see the same gains, although not look as nice. And you cant re-use the HKS filter, you have to buy new ones, you can clean and resuse the much larger pop-charge filter, I clean mine every 6000 miles to keep it running good Id bet guys with the HKS will let their filters get disgusting before they order new ones....oh btw if you want that chrome intake look you can buy a pop-charger, SPL intake tube, and a recharge kit for cheaper than the HKS....
The Pop charger is just an expensive APC filter. I could go to Pep Boys and buy a filter for one quarter the price of your overpriced JWT POS and the engine bay would look just as $hitty. Furthermore, I could buy an SRT-4 for 2/3 the price of a Z. Why did I get a Z then? Because, at the end of the day, a SRT-4 still looks like a &*$@ing Neon and your JWT Pop charger still looks like a $20 APC filter.

Whitev8killer - I change my filter when I change my oil, every 7500 miles.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:13 PM
seanlaw

sweet another intake debate...i love my hks
Old 05-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Lawn Dart
The Pop charger is just an expensive APC filter. I could go to Pep Boys and buy a filter for one quarter the price of your overpriced JWT POS and the engine bay would look just as $hitty. Furthermore, I could buy an SRT-4 for 2/3 the price of a Z. Why did I get a Z then? Because, at the end of the day, a SRT-4 still looks like a &*$@ing Neon and your JWT Pop charger still looks like a $20 APC filter.

Lol. You could buy an APC filter for $20 yes, but I guess you havent held an APC filter in person, or a JWT for that matter. The APC's are small, and are made $hitty. The top of the filter where it all comes together is crap, they fall apart. Also, the filter material is not the same quality. You ever see an APC filter after 6000 miles? -- it looks like death, they fall ALWAYS fall apart, I would never buy one, use one or def recharge one. None of this applies to the JWT, nice hearing your opinion though, made me chuckle.....and your last sentence sums it up, and states our positions nicely, your after a "nice looking" filter/intake combo, Im after the largest, best performing intake for my car. Enjoy your overpriced $40 chrome tube, and foam filter BTW last time I checked foam was used for sponges to wash dishes
Old 05-26-2005, 10:23 PM
illZ

The JWT is not a $hitty filter.

HKS filters have been proven time and time again to filter the WORST of all.

I've owned a lot. The JWT is pretty darn good. And unstoppable for $100.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
black350

+1 Jwt
Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
pacfwu

I soooo know that I'm gonna regret this:

given that your member since date is in 2003, I'll assume that's the year you have. and your profile says you have a track model. Using todays prices a track model is $34.6k an enthusiast is $28.75K. Thats almost $6k for a light weight set of wheels (I have as light of wheels w/ better tires than stock for $2500) a brake kit (that if actually used for the track needs to be tossed in favor of something better - $4k) and 2 types of traction control that need to be turned off when on a track. And both cars have the same hp and torque rating. So and enthusiast($28.75k) + tires and brakes ($6.5k) = $35.25K. So for an extra $650 dollars, I have a better car than yours was stock.

If I had the money for a track w/ the nismo stuff I wanted, I would buy one and don't think I'm not jealous of people who do have them. I would have one for the status of it. but that's it. you had the extra chedder and you got it. that's why I have my HKS intake.

You, however, have just lost your right to talk about bang for the buck.

"Hey it's a track, i'll buy it..."

Last edited by pacfwu; 05-27-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:08 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lol. Enjoy your overpriced $40 chrome tube, and foam filter BTW last time I checked foam was used for sponges to wash dishes
Our intake pipe is also made of aluminum. Aluminum is used to make soda cans, so I have taken these two ingredients and created the ultimate budget intake!
Old 05-27-2005, 05:25 AM
pacfwu

dude, everyone knows you get more gains from mountain dew.

Quick Reply: hks racing suction kit?