Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Plenum Melted Wtf!!!! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 03:35 PM
vantage350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Kinetix Plenum Melted Wtf!!!! Pics

Today while washing my car, I had the car running for a good hour or so. My friend came over to wash his with me, so it was on for another hour longer, so in total it was running idle for 2 horus. After we were done, I decided to take a ride to the store and noticed and felt a weird sound coming from the engine. The car felt a bit sluggish too. I only drove it around for 15 minutes or so, then went home to check out what was wrong. To my surprise after opening up the hood I noticed in amazement that the Kinetix v4 Plenum that I paid ALOT of money for was TOTALLY MELTED AND COMPLETELY DESTROYED!!!!! WTF!!!!#&#$&# The thing is totally warped from the throttle body to the center, and it was touching the strut bar too.

I have searched this forum up and down, and can't seem to find anyone with remotely the same issue as this. I had heard of this particular plenum cracking on previous versions, but nothing in reference to this version. I will be contacting Kinetix Tuesday to see if they have an explanation for this happening. I honestly cannot see why or how this could happen from the car running idle for 2 hours, and then driving it. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me. I have attached pics below so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:52 PM
jcpeyton

Do you REALLY think letting the car run idle for 2 hours didn't have anything to do with the meltdown?
Old 05-28-2005, 03:57 PM
GMADD

WOW !

I've heard of it cracking but MELTING, that's a first.

I was thinking of getting one but now I'm going with the Crawford cast plenum.

To think what would've happened if you had a turbo setup, with all that extra heat !

Tasso-
Old 05-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Barzten1

Thats banana's!
Old 05-28-2005, 03:59 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you should't let your car idle for so long. without the air rushing into front it's gonna get hot as sheet and thus your plenum melted (which is still fuked up regardless of the fact that you left your car idling for so long).
Old 05-28-2005, 04:01 PM
GQ 350z

Why not turn the car off? What a waste of gas.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:05 PM
vantage350z

Originally Posted by jcpeyton
Do you REALLY think letting the car run idle for 2 hours didn't have anything to do with the meltdown?
Granted, letting the car run idle that long was not that smart, BUT that should not lead to an expensive plenum MELTING. I don't think this should happen under ANY circumstances. All I am doing is letting people know is to beware that this could potentially happen to them.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:10 PM
ReavTek

Ouch... My guess is the car was sitting there with no where for the heat to go (no ambient air rushing over the plenum). And since it is made of plastic it is more susceptible to warpage. The guys at Kinetix should be able to help you out (replacement perhaps) but you really shouldn't let your car idle for so long.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:17 PM
liquidsilver350

Question Thanks

LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE 2 PROBLEMS HERE. 1ST WE HAVE A GUY WHO LETS HIS CAR SIT RUNNING FOR 2 HOURS! cOULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN IN DETAIL THE REASON FOR THAT? 2ND I AGREE THAT THE PLENUM MELT DOWN SHOULD NEVER EVER HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT, BUT THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE TO THE WHOLE THING, YOU JUST MADE UP MY MIND AS TOO WHICH PLENUM TO BUY! THANKS
Old 05-28-2005, 04:19 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by liquidsilver350
LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE 2 PROBLEMS HERE. 1ST WE HAVE A GUY WHO LETS HIS CAR SIT RUNNING FOR 2 HOURS! cOULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN IN DETAIL THE REASON FOR THAT? 2ND I AGREE THAT THE PLENUM MELT DOWN SHOULD NEVER EVER HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT, BUT THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE TO THE WHOLE THING, YOU JUST MADE UP MY MIND AS TOO WHICH PLENUM TO BUY! THANKS
COULD you stop with the CAPITAL LETTERS!

Folks this is why we have a gas crisis on our hands,
Old 05-28-2005, 04:24 PM
vantage350z

Originally Posted by liquidsilver350

I stated that running the car idle for 2 hours was somewhat overboard, and I explained why I was doing it in the first place. I am also glad that you are deciding to go with another plenum over this one, because I wouldn't want anyone else experiencing this same problem, it's not very pleasant. I also am now in the market for a replacement, and am leaning towards APS or Crawford, either or I doubt I would have these problems with.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:49 PM
doodeitstom

idling 15 minutes can cause damage. 2 hrs!!!
Old 05-28-2005, 04:54 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, I feel bad for you, but I can't help but think this is sorta funny in some strange sick way.

This thing is just a flat out POS. It cracks, it melts, it's plastic, it looks cheap, etc

what will it do next? explode bits of toxic acidic melting plastic on people when they pop the hood?
Old 05-28-2005, 04:58 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

On the postive side, that is one krazy kewl looking manifold, perhaps you can ebay it as a "special edition" Kinetix and someone like the "twins" will pay big bux for it.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:02 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe if someone can sell a "satan possesed hot pocket" for $1400 then you can sell this as some crazy surreal plenum

say it's a custom design that you've worked on yourself to force the air harder into the engine for more hp
Old 05-28-2005, 05:08 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

How about an Anniversy Z plenum to remember the drug crazed pschidelic days of the first Z!
Old 05-28-2005, 05:09 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I feel bad it melted but I can't stop laughing at the fact that you left the car running for two hours and still do not understand why, you were washing the car?!

Also just think of what you are doing to the rest of the plastic stuff in you engine bay like plastic connectors you are aging them prematurely so please Kinetix or no Kinetix never leave your car idling for two hours not sense in more than a few minutes unless your battery is dead and you can't restart the car.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:10 PM
vantage350z

Originally Posted by sentry65
lol, I feel bad for you, but I can't help but think this is sorta funny in some strange sick way.

This thing is just a flat out POS. It cracks, it melts, it's plastic, it looks cheap, etc

what will it do next? explode bits of toxic acidic melting plastic on people when they pop the hood?
I didn't think when first buying it that it would have been a complete POS.

Luckily I didn't experience any of the exploding toxic acid.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:16 PM
jdm3fiddyZ

Originally Posted by Barzten1
Thats banana's!
B-A-N-A-N-A-S! its bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!......

sorry....i had to do it...lol
Old 05-28-2005, 05:27 PM
JisNis

I had the Kinetix as well and I wasnt to impressed with it. It seemed so fragile. I wonder what Kinetix's explanation is going to be...good luck

Quick Reply: Kinetix Plenum Melted Wtf!!!! Pics