Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Plenum Melted Wtf!!!! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regardless of how many hours you have your car idle, this shouldn't happen. What if you stuff in traffic for hours? a good product shouldn't melt down so stop kiss a.s.s to Kinetix and called other as moron.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Z BOY

i wouldn't be at all surprised if there was other damage unrelated to the plenum.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:37 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z BOY
i wouldn't be at all surprised if there was other damage unrelated to the plenum.

I agree, all flaming aside as I think he gets it now, did you pay attention to the engine temperature? you might have been on your way to overheating the car or at the very least having very high temps, the coolant can only do so much if air is not passing through the radiator to cool it off, how hot was it outside?

I think this is probably the extreme temperatures the engine bay would see plus the plenum rests on the lower plenum which will get the heat transfered to it from the block, you wont even see this in a traffic jam for a couple of reasons you at least move some air cooling a little bit plus you will see you temp gage in case it starts to climb which this was not the case since he wasn't in the car.

Also you do not want to be washing a hot car or let alone wax it.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:28 AM
ken350z

Let me beat this horse just a little more. (without the sarcasim)

Using very rough numbers an engine runs about 32% efficient. This means that 32% of the energy is used to move the parts and the rest is pissed off as heat.

I'd guess that it takes somewhere around 20hp to idle considering the cams.

One hp is about 746 watts.

20hp x 746 = 14,920 watts

14,920 x 0.32 = 4774 watts

It's could be 2-3 higher because I suspect that it's less efficent at idle.

Can you imagine placing a 5000 to 15,000 watt heater under that plenum in a metal box without any air flow and expecting it to not at least warp?

You could have caused a fire.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:03 AM
jcpeyton

I thought I was done w/ this thread, but something kept bothering me last night, and it came to me this morning: in the early 1950's 3 scientists did some important work on the effects of heat on petrolium-based products. The project came to be known as 3 Studying Types Of Oxgzenization Generated Effects/Soultions. The scientists' names, I think were Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard, and Dr. Fine.
It is obvious to me now that we have been too hard on the original poster,calling him a moron. In fact, it seems to me he has made an important contemporary contribution to the work of the original 3. So, instead of flaming him, I suggest we honor him by awarding him the title of the 4th S..T..O..O..G..E..........
Old 05-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Zexy

Why is your car idling for two hours in the first place???
Old 05-29-2005, 09:08 AM
vantage350z

Under NO circumstances should anythink melt under your hood, no mater how long the car idles for. For example. Try going through the lincoln tunnel leaving Manhatten in rush our like I do. Thats easy an hour and a half DEAD STOP TRAFFIC. This is my last post to this tread. To all that can benifit from this tread I hope it Helps. The rest of you can KISS MY ***!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 01:23 PM
jcpeyton

As one of "the rest of you", I decine. I do feel sorry for you, though, since you will always be remembered on these boards as the moron who left his Z idling for two hours and torched his plenum. I look forward to similarly informative threads from you in the future, if you have the huevos to post again. AMF.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:08 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I also decline, however, I will be watching ebay for the premiere of this Radical New Design Kinetixx Maniford. Talk about pushing the envelope!
Old 05-29-2005, 06:12 PM
03FIDDYZ

haha classic why wouldnt you shut your car off if you were in DEAD STOP traffic having your car idle for 30 seconds is equavelent to the amount of gas you use starting your car( or so i hear). Why wouldnt you just let your battery run the stereo? how much gas did you go through????
Old 05-29-2005, 06:22 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know how you feel. I left some ice cream sitting out for 2 hours and it melted.

Just kidding. I do wonder though if the same thing would have happened to the OEM engine cover.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:10 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally Posted by vantage350z
Under NO circumstances should anythink melt under your hood, no mater how long the car idles for. For example. Try going through the lincoln tunnel leaving Manhatten in rush our like I do. Thats easy an hour and a half DEAD STOP TRAFFIC. This is my last post to this tread. To all that can benifit from this tread I hope it Helps. The rest of you can KISS MY ***!!!!!!!
Have you called Kenetix yet?

I mean we can all whine back and forth here.. but the real question is are they going to backup the product.

Saying if its junk or not is pointless.. we obviously have a 'extreme' situation here that no one else would really be subject to.

The real point of this thread should be what to watch out for and what the company is going to do behind their product.

And BTW.. I've listened to the radio for hours w/o any battery issues so I suggest next time just use the acc. position. Oh and don''t leave it on ON if you want to keep your expensive coils
Old 05-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Bran_BranZ33

im sorry it had to be you... our little ginnie pig... but now i know crawford is the way to go

no more flaming the guy he was just posting to try and help all of us would be kenetix owners i thank him....
Old 05-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

and no respond from kinetix yet. Interesting.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:55 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

just because of one failure (due to abnormal use) I don't know why everyone would 'not buy' a kenetix.

I mean.. if I drove my Z off a cliff.. and it didn't work anymore.. would you not buy a Z?

This thread would be alot more interesting if it was 'after my weekend at Sebring...' but fact remains the same.. the source of the fault was borderline abuse on the car.

Next time you see a bunch of limos sitting around idling.. notice their hoods cracked open.. this is exactly why. Cars not not designed to idle for extended periods sitting still.

Same reason you see cars overheat while sitting in traffic...

Would we all be scolding Nissan if your car overheating sitting on I-95 in a traffic jam in July? No

Please need to get a grip on reality here.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:09 PM
jkoc

objectively, this is a freaking funny thread.

but i hope you get your money back from kinetix so that you can go buy a crawford.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:11 PM
james840a

I think we all should give him a break, it could have happend to any one of use. LA traffic can be a 2 hour idle, and then theres the LA traffic with an accedent witch then could be like 4 hours sitting idle.

as for the plastic Kenetix plenum, i hope they replace it for free. I mean they should, it shouldnt have melted like that. Products need to be tested and tested hard. A heat test would have helped, to find out what the melting point is, and if can only go up to 2hours then needs to be stated in manual under like a warning. Anyways, dont know much about this product but this is my 2cents.

As for me, something big and major part like that, i would rather have a metal one.

Im going to go with a plenum spacers i was reading about on here from motordyne.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:14 PM
MySunset350Z

you only see junky cars overheating in traffic. most are domestics. lol. low blow.

i dont care how long the car was idling, nothing should melt. it would be nice if nissan sent out warning labels saying "engine will explode if left to ildle more then 15minutes". exaggerating to prove a point.

if engines could get away with being plastic, they would all be this way now. they're not plastic for a reason. plastic is platic no matter what you do to it. it can be strong plastic or very strong plastic, but its still plastic.

i'd be very t-ed off if that happened to me. good luck with getting it taken care of.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:16 PM
G352NV

Originally Posted by james840a
I think we all should give him a break, it could have happend to any one of use. LA traffic can be a 2 hour idle, and then theres the LA traffic with an accedent witch then could be like 4 hours sitting idle.

as for the plastic Kenetix plenum, i hope they replace it for free. I mean they should, it shouldnt have melted like that. Products need to be tested and tested hard. A heat test would have helped, to find out what the melting point is, and if can only go up to 2hours then needs to be stated in manual under like a warning. Anyways, dont know much about this product but this is my 2cents.

As for me, something big and major part like that, i would rather have a metal one.

Im going to go with a plenum spacers i was reading about on here from motordyne.
Agree, thats why I never bought the plastic one.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:53 AM
zachcrosen

I have dealt with Kinetix many times and I feel that if you contact them, they will likely replace it for you for free. Think about it, its made from plastic so it can be melted back down and repoured to make a new plenum. I wouldnt think th integrity of it wouldnt be lost due to this, but I am not sure.

Also, I have run the V4 plenum for almost a year before upgrading to their new manifold. In that time, I had absolutely NO problems with this plenum. It is a wonderful product and it looks a ton better than the Crawford plenum. Plus you can place your hand on it without getting burnt. Whiel mine was on my car, I ran about 10 AutoX events, did probably 25 runs at the drag strip and took the car into the 140+ MPH range several times and STILL NO PROBLEMS. Everyone bashing Kinetix for this plenum needs to consider that there will always be defects in the mfg of any product. To my knowledge, there have been ONLY 2 or 3 failures of the new V4 plenum. And for the previous 3 versions, it takes time to perfect a product. In the end I am sure Kinetix will make everything good for you.

Zach

Last edited by zachcrosen; 05-30-2005 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Kinetix Plenum Melted Wtf!!!! Pics