Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Strup Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 01:46 AM
the7ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strup Headers...

I was curious about these Strup headers as I have only recently seen then on the market. They show moderate gains of approx 15 HP and VERY nice TQ gains of approx 30ft-Lbs. Alphawerks adds 21HP/15 ft-lbs, Nismo 13hp/13ft-lbs, Borla insignificant hp/ 15ft-lbs ( I think), Crawford 20-40hp/ 20ft-lbs.

Anyways, I noticed that this guy’s office is located locally to me so I decided to pay him a visit and take a look at these headers.

If you don’t know Charlie Wenstrup was a GM for DC sports since it started and left to start his own company.

They are very nice headers, as Charlie described to be its very similar to the DC sports design except for the flange and curves. He said the flange was a few MM thicker to help prevent warpage when he noted occurred on a few DC sports models. Also the curves were moved to allow for easier install, the install doesn't require the motor to be lifted and he said that a mechanically inclined person would do it in approx 4-6hrs. He includes new bolts in the box in case you strip out the OEM as he noted that could happen. I was also impress that everything except the flange (CNCed and shipped from china) is made in the USA up in Pomona.

As soon as I save up some $$ I will pick me up a pair and get them installed.
And hope to post up a second dyno here for yall to see.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:52 PM
dan-14

there's a little bit of info(opinion) in this thread.
first page,scroll done a little.

https://my350z.com/forum/southern-california/124655-parts-fire-sale-from-my-personal-car.html
Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 PM
rgreene

Any chance they'll try to get them CARB approved? Right now the only game in town for those of us that want to stay legal are the DCs
Old 06-13-2005, 07:32 AM
partshipperdave

I spoke with Charlie Wenstrup about the CARB deal.. these headers are still pending but approval should be soon..
I think other parts like high flow cats or no cats would affect your emissions more so than would these headers. You shouldn't see much output difference in your emissions #'s with just these headers on a stock setup...
Old 06-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Landbarger

How do these stack up against the XERD Long-tube headers? I know there's quite a difference since they remove the cats, but does anyone have numbers just for the comparison?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:17 AM
partshipperdave

There is a thread about "best headers" that has some numbers posted... take any dyno chart with a grain of salt though. lot's of factors involved when comparing one run of one car with a specific header against another run of a completely different car on a different dyno on a different day with a different header with a ..... you get the idea! ;o)

Regarding the differences between long tube and shortys, well they perform differently as expected because they are completely different designs. Long tubes, IMO, are designed more for higher performance or racing applications, where they are meant to deliver the gains (hp and torque) at high rpms - where a race car spends most of it's day. For real world driving and street performance, the shorty's are a better choice. The gains are experienced in the mid range of the rpm band - where street cars spend most of their time.

The numbers the Strup headers produce is in line with the major players and it can deliver the performance you'd expect from them. This IS a performance aftermarket part that is not masked with smoke and mirrors or claimed gains. The gains are proven, and the performance and quality it top notch.

Strup also offers a 2 year warranty on their parts, so if anything were to go wrong, simply return them directly to Strup, and they'll replace them immediately. That's 2 years of insurance for nothing! ;o)
Old 06-24-2005, 10:22 AM
partshipperdave

some recent orders on these headers. Hope to have some independent feedback up soon.. maybe some dyno charts eventually too.

Thanks for the orders guys!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:46 AM
partshipperdave

The sponsorship deal ends today! Don't miss out if you've been on the fence. Great deal and great product!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125621
Old 07-05-2005, 11:28 AM
partshipperdave

Back by popular demand! Get this set of headers now for only $399.95 after rebate!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130794

More detailed pics are included in the post above, including a pic of the inside of the collector.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 01:54 AM
the7ferret

I got me a set and installed them..

After the 8hr PITA install not the headers fault just that our engine bay is soooooo tight.

WOW!
Best $$ I spent so far.. THe Z pulls hard continously with these and I like it. Sometime later this week I will get a dyno to show what the increase is but these so far are great. No regrets.

Tips on install:
1. Loosen serpintine belt and loosen AC compressor to help get access to some bolts when removeing the stock headers and replaceing them.

2. Unplug some of the coolant lies comming out of the coolant pipe on the underside to help manuver tools. Be prepared to spends 20 min getting the air out of the system.

3. unplug O2 sensors and remove and replace after taking header out of vehicle...

4. new gaskets are always better. The old ones looked beatup after 15K miles.

5. A Ratchet Wrench 14 mm will make life much easier. As well as those ratchets with odd angles and rotating heads.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ferret
Nice to hear that they seams to make a noticable performance improvement! I have been concidering these headers beacuse of the great price and quality, this month im going with a new exhaust and intake, but next month i'll most likely get some HF cats and headers!

- Have you noticed any difference to the engine sound after the install?

/Roger
Old 07-17-2005, 08:51 AM
the7ferret

I have the stock exaust but it does have a meaner growl to it.
I liked it

I plan on getting a greddy evo 2 so I hope it sounds even better then.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:27 AM
partshipperdave

nice! glad to hear things went well for the install. I have passed along your comments above to Strup. They are going to revise their installation instructions to include some of these suggestions!

Please let us know as soon as you get a chance to dyno it. Post results when you have a chance.

Nice to know that you can notice immediate performance results on the butt dyno too!

Enjoy 'em!