Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Is Nismo exhaust street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:44 PM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the deal is most cops dont know jack about mod laws. Once i got a ticket for my exhaust on my civic and this is what the cop told me. Every aftermarket exhaust is illegal, i asked if he wanted to hear the exhaust cause its not that loud he told me he doens't need to hear it - all aftermarket exhausts are illegal. Then i asked him so if your stock exhaust breaks you HAVE to get one at the dealer? He said yes. I asked so if I go to a muffler shop and get a muffler there it is illegal? He said yes. I took that crap to court and literally owned that cop in front of the judge. WTF an exhaust does not effect your emissions in any way it just regulates the sound.

Second story - i get pulled over for my exhaust again, cop tells me to pop my hood. Gives me a ticket for illegal exhaust and intake and now i have to go to the state ref. Obviously state ref owns me bad. The exhaust is perfectly within the sound limit (they used a decibel meter) but everything else from my JDM motor to my intake to my fuel computer is illegal. Now my civic is no longer "street legal" I can't drive it anymore and ended up buying the Z. GD these cops dont they have anything better to do??
Old 06-30-2005, 02:49 PM
ANXIOUZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uplz4588
the nismo looks just like stock how the hell did he even know it was aftermarket!
Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Not really. The NISMO is polished stainless whereas the stock muffler is black. The NISMO tips are larger and angle cut so they appear to be oval.
Unless someone tells you it's a Nismo or you're specifically looking at it, it's nearly indistinguishable from stock IMO. Sure, if you look at it you can notice the differences but for a cop to pick that up? Wow.

I have a coworker who just got a Z and even though I gave the car a once over, I didn't catch that he had the Nismo exhaust until he told me later.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NISMO Cat Back exhaust is 50 State Legal.

This is in the USA.

In Canada, you have to check your laws. Some places do not allow any exhuast modification what so ever.

Some places do not alow wheels wider then a certain amount or further out then the factory wheels etc...

But in the States where they are originally offered (No NISMO Program in Canada) the NISMO Exhaust is fully 50 state legal.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 AM
r.c.y.k.

No, Nismo parts is offered in Canada also, i found a dealer in my edmonton that even has nismo parts in stock. Talked to them, they said Nismo parts is avaible to any dealer in Canada!
Old 07-03-2005, 05:46 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn the Nismo exhaust looks stock. It doesnt really sound to different or louder than stock. The cops there must really have nothing to do. My injen is louder and looks completely different from stock. It draws attention but cops dont give me problems here.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
gqnamja83

are the hks hi-power exhaust illegal? and if so..how much is the ticket for whomever that has been caught with it? sorry bout the stupid question.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:09 PM
gqnamja83

Default hmmm

are the hks hi-power exhaust illegal? and if so..how much is the ticket for whomever that has been caught with it? sorry bout the stupid question.