Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

This might be a NEW JWT Popcharger question... I Think. :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:37 AM
southern_info

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a link of a gentlemen that actually dyno 11+hp to the wheels and has a dyno to prove it. I hope this will make your day. ~>>> https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....light=jwt+dyno
Old 09-09-2005, 09:31 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one guy out of a whole bunch. Even JWT doesnt post numbers like that. Those gains are ridiculous lol. He even says he dinoed when teh car was brand new and then 5000 miles later. Ofcourse the car has a few more ponies after everything has been broken in.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:37 AM
Z BOY

i actually lost 5hp with the popcharger, and i have the dyno to prove it. either way, i found the benefit to be negligible and reinstalled the stock air box with hf filter. since the jwt sits in the engine bay, i figured the loss was due to hot air.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:02 PM
gatti-man

ok extended reviews. My ECU has adjusted i guess bc my car has picked up more power above 4k rpms for sure. I mean without a doubt. This could be that the TS hood basicly promotes a flow of fresh air across the pop charger. Ive driven about 150 miles on it so far and I can repeat the feel over and over. It feels like im driving a vtec. Above 4k it just clicks on where normaly it feels kindof dead. Still kind of odd, startup is smoother too.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:06 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by gatti-man
ok extended reviews. My ECU has adjusted i guess bc my car has picked up more power above 4k rpms for sure. I mean without a doubt. This could be that the TS hood basicly promotes a flow of fresh air across the pop charger. Ive driven about 150 miles on it so far and I can repeat the feel over and over. It feels like im driving a vtec. Above 4k it just clicks on where normaly it feels kindof dead. Still kind of odd, startup is smoother too.

wow....so i guess the ecu does take a while to adjust...
Old 09-10-2005, 10:49 PM
tulene

Default poopcharger

i am a broken record but i was a believer in the popchoo but that turned to poop when it stranded me in the middle of a bus lane in rush hour traffic. everyone gave me the finger and it was a total complete hassle. having read abotu other people stalling out at freeway speeds is downright scary. i mean, no powere brakes, no power steering suddenly. nope.
K&N and punched holes in the stock airbox. not as wicked, but 85% is good enuff for the reliability.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:08 AM
ZlleH

Popcharger here with Borla TD cat back. Installed it and love it. I'm getting a varis air duct, this will put cold air (denser air) directly towards the popcharger so the popcharger was the way to go instead of other CAI.

I also reset(not reflashed) my ECU everytime I put a new mod on or every week as well.

Anyhoo, no complaints here. As for a TQ dyno, I haven't seen one. but ususally, doesn't HP make TQ? They depend on one another, don't they?

Like my friend always try to explain to people who aren't that car savey:

"HP is how much power you have to turn a windmill. TQ is how fast you can turn that windmill."

So doesn't that mean if you get more HP, the TQ will go up a bit?
Old 09-11-2005, 04:38 PM
diwun67

HP sells cars, TQ wins races. TQ affects HP, not the other way around

And what's this I here about being stranded on the highway because of the popcharger???
Old 09-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by diwun67
And what's this I here about being stranded on the highway because of the popcharger???
my god man, you ARE a noob.
should i?
would i?
no i wouldn't.
i shouldn't.
i just couldn't!
i'm gonna do it.
just for giggles.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
gatti-man

well dont go flooring your car with a new mod. DUH! Man people are so ridiculous sometimes with their expectations. Also the ecu reset thing is a bad idea bc each time your ecu adjusts itself from stock so that means if you have 3 breathing mods the ecu has to adjust X3 of stock not just to the new mod. I took it easy on my car for about 100 miles before i really got on it above 4k. Just common sense.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:23 PM
ZlleH

Maybe I didn't understand your grammar on this one, but what are you talking about?

The ECU reset is also done because you want a clean start instead of an ECU that has adjusted to a slow cruising week that you had, or a long road trip that you had.

It only makes sense to reset the ECU after any mods just in case your ECU has put you on a driving setting that is slower then you want.

But even after the above points... I still don't understand where you are going with your below statement... Where is the negative points in what you said below? So what if the ECU has to adjust to 3 breathing mods instead of one?

Also the ecu reset thing is a bad idea bc each time your ecu adjusts itself from stock so that means if you have 3 breathing mods the ecu has to adjust X3 of stock not just to the new mod.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Z BOY

my understanding of the ecu reset thing is that each time you do it, it sends your ecu back to pre-set, stock maps, and it has to go thru the adapting process all over again, whereas if you don't reset it after adding a mod, it doesn't take as long to adapt to your new mod. this is my understanding. i could be wrong. there's lots of ecu info on this site...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:54 AM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Maybe I didn't understand your grammar on this one, but what are you talking about?

The ECU reset is also done because you want a clean start instead of an ECU that has adjusted to a slow cruising week that you had, or a long road trip that you had.

It only makes sense to reset the ECU after any mods just in case your ECU has put you on a driving setting that is slower then you want.

But even after the above points... I still don't understand where you are going with your below statement... Where is the negative points in what you said below? So what if the ECU has to adjust to 3 breathing mods instead of one?
Well the biggest reason would be incase youv really leaned out the engine it would need to pull alot of timing right away as opposed to a small change. Basicly instead of a small adaptation the ECU needs to make a large one. Meaning there will be some time of operation (50 miles maybe) where your car could run dangerously lean. Also the ECU doesnt cut power bc you go on a road trip or some thing like that. Atleast on the MT bc it doesnt need to learn shift patterns. All the ECU does is compensate for differences in a/f by pulling timing etc. The ECU reset is something that boggles my mind. Your ecu has learned to adapt to your mods why would you want to go back to stock?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 AM
InsaneChink

i just installed my Popcharger yesterday. You do feel more pull, but moslty after 5rpm's. BUT, do you guys get a whistling sound when you gas?? Cuz, if you guys dont, then i royally screwed up cuz i installed it myself...
Old 09-12-2005, 10:25 AM
ZlleH

This goes against all the things I have read about the ECU on this board. The ECU "learns" how you drive. If you shift at 2,000 rpm or do you shift at redline. It gathers information on how you are driving and it tunes itself on the driver.

I've read threads where the owner leaves and his brother drives the car for 2 weeks at a slow crusing speed and not aggressive as the owner. And when the owner comes back. he found the car slower.

I've done a search on ECU threads and they have stated that the ECU learns your driving habits. So either they are wrong, you are wrong, or I can't comprehend their statements.

Well the biggest reason would be incase youv really leaned out the engine it would need to pull alot of timing right away as opposed to a small change. Basicly instead of a small adaptation the ECU needs to make a large one. Meaning there will be some time of operation (50 miles maybe) where your car could run dangerously lean. Also the ECU doesnt cut power bc you go on a road trip or some thing like that. Atleast on the MT bc it doesnt need to learn shift patterns. All the ECU does is compensate for differences in a/f by pulling timing etc. The ECU reset is something that boggles my mind. Your ecu has learned to adapt to your mods why would you want to go back to stock?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:48 PM
diwun67

Originally Posted by Z BOY
my god man, you ARE a noob.
should i?
would i?
no i wouldn't.
i shouldn't.
i just couldn't!
i'm gonna do it.
just for giggles.
Calling me a noob, hmmmm....did that make you feel better about yourself?? If it did, by all means keep on doing it *shrug*
Old 09-12-2005, 02:54 PM
diwun67

there will be some time of operation (50 miles maybe) where your car could run dangerously lean.
The only time that a/f ratios really matter are at WOT, and I doubt you'll be driving *****-to-the-wall WOT for 50 miles
Old 09-12-2005, 03:31 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by ZlleH
This goes against all the things I have read about the ECU on this board. The ECU "learns" how you drive. If you shift at 2,000 rpm or do you shift at redline. It gathers information on how you are driving and it tunes itself on the driver.

I've read threads where the owner leaves and his brother drives the car for 2 weeks at a slow crusing speed and not aggressive as the owner. And when the owner comes back. he found the car slower.

I've done a search on ECU threads and they have stated that the ECU learns your driving habits. So either they are wrong, you are wrong, or I can't comprehend their statements.
Look FEELING slower is subjective first of all and second of all if that owner had a 5AT as opposed to the 6MT then that could be true. The car shifts based on your driving habits. Your theory that the car somehow cuts power bc it is freeway driving is complete BS for 6MT and i can tell you why based on my own experience. I used to drive 45 minutes freeway everyday to work 5 times a week. I have since moved to where my drive is a few short stops and my spirited driving has become the majority of driving in the Z. Has the Z changed in any way? No. My gas mileage has dropped by about 1.5mpg but thats it. The mileage can be chalked up to shorter trips and lower avg mph. This ECU isnt anything more complicated than a few chips and a flash rom. Like a bios for your computer. It certainly isnt meant to be a drawback like you make it out to be.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:32 PM
gatti-man

The only time that a/f ratios really matter are at WOT, and I doubt you'll be driving *****-to-the-wall WOT for 50 miles
I would say i drive ***** to the wall about 15-20 times in 50 miles. Would i risk even one time detonating at wot for 50 miles? NO
Old 09-12-2005, 05:42 PM
lzaffuto

HP sells cars, TQ wins races. TQ affects HP, not the other way around
I don't think it works that way. Take two completely identical cars, one which makes 130hp and 60ft-lbs of torque and another that makes 60hp and 130ft-lbs of torque. The 130hp car will win, although the driver of the one with more torque will SWEAR that his feels much faster. Many racecars make 1000s of horsepower but have very little torque to speak of. Horsepower, or more specifically horsepower to weight ratio, does win races.

Quick Reply: This might be a NEW JWT Popcharger question... I Think. :)