Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

This might be a NEW JWT Popcharger question... I Think. :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This might be a NEW JWT Popcharger question... I Think. :)

Hello all, I'm pretty new to this forum so please don't chop my head off if this is a question you've already address please. I tried the search feature first... Honest.

Anywho. I just purchase my 2005 350z about a week ago, and I have to say that before I bought my Z I had a complete wish list of mods I had been thinking I was going to slap into this thing... That is... Until I really got to drive it. To be perfectly honest. I was so impressed with the performance of the car I decided to keep NA instead of getting the super charger right away and enjoy it for what nissan designed it to be.
The thing that I loved the most is the torque curve on this motor. It completely blew my mind how much pull was left in the middle of 6th just by giving it more gas. Now please bare in mind that this is not my first Z. I use to own a 1993 300zx TT back in the day. And yes, that car use to pull too but, it was to be expected from a TT.

Bottom line: I LOVE the Torque on this motor.

I decided to go ahead and purchase an intake system thinking that "more air couldn't hurt anything" and decided on the JWT Popcharger that everyone here seem to swear by. Ya know... With so many members here so pressed on Horse Power(Because HP sells parts), does anyone have any real dyno results showing Torque numbers on this intake system? My Butt-dyno seems to indicate a huge drop in torque over the stock air box. But it sounds really nasty at WOT! Any clues anyone?

Detailed answers please. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:03 AM
RyanAtAltered

The problem with the dyno would be that the air would be stagnant or at the most, blown by a fan. And that doesnt accurately represent the air moving thru the engine bay at say 45-65 mph. So the dyno numbers are always arguable with intakes.
I personally would recommend and cola-air intake over the JWT and an intake plenum spacer.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:58 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

“My Butt-dyno seems to indicate a huge drop in torque”

Then thousands of pop charger drivers made the wrong decision.

Most drivers are looking for peak torque gains: the pop charger does that. What may have happens is that the pop charger altered the torque curve. If you trust your “butt dyno,” this may have been what has happened.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by davidv
“My Butt-dyno seems to indicate a huge drop in torque”

Then thousands of pop charger drivers made the wrong decision.

Most drivers are looking for peak torque gains: the pop charger does that. What may have happens is that the pop charger altered the torque curve. If you trust your “butt dyno,” this may have been what has happened.
Thank you for your reply. It's just that I have yet to see or hear anyone claiming "peak torque gains" of any kind regarding an intake. I think we'vr all seem in the past that some "Bolt-on parts" can create Hp but cause a loss in torque. I'm just looking for some piece of mind.

I don't always trust my "butt-dyno" cuz sometimes it's full of ****. But it's all I got to work with until someone can show me something different.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Havok_RLS2

Wow. I can't believe how many members has stop in to take a look at the thread but only two member are brave enough to make a comment on the issue.

Comon guys... I'm just looking for answers.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Jetpilot718

I've heard that hp increases at peak with the item, but torque is a little less and comes in a little later now. Either way, we're talkin 5ft-lbs max, so no, you won't feel that. The difference with or without the pop charger is most likely negligable. Its a sound mod, not a performance one.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Jetpilot718
I've heard that hp increases at peak with the item, but torque is a little less and comes in a little later now. Either way, we're talkin 5ft-lbs max, so no, you won't feel that. The difference with or without the pop charger is most likely negligable. Its a sound mod, not a performance one.
Good Post. Thanks. So pretty much I should just go back to the stock airbox unless I have a real need to have a great sounding car at WOT? Would that be about right?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the K&N filtercharger replacement element. It sounds better, looks stock, runs great, and it was much cheaper than the popcharger. IMO a lot of people do mods just for the sake of doing mods, even though the benefits are questionable or unproven at best.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by undrgnd
I did the K&N filtercharger replacement element. It sounds better, looks stock, runs great, and it was much cheaper than the popcharger. IMO a lot of people do mods just for the sake of doing mods, even though the benefits are questionable or unproven at best.
In this case I think you might be right.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:42 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Good Post. Thanks. So pretty much I should just go back to the stock airbox unless I have a real need to have a great sounding car at WOT? Would that be about right?
No. Lets assume that you are correct, the pop charger lost peak torque. Adding another mod (such as a cat back exhaust) may restore peak torque - then some.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:06 PM
ASTIG_Z

I just installed the jwt, and completely love this ****. I can feel a little difference when stepping on the gas, the pedal feels lighter. But there is definately an awesome sound when WOT.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:11 PM
undrgnd

Originally Posted by davidv
No. Lets assume that you are correct, the pop charger lost peak torque. Adding another mod (such as a cat back exhaust) may restore peak torque - then some.
Since this is a theoretical discussion, lets add one more variable: What if you hadn't done the pop charger, then, after the next mod (cat-back) you would have even more torque. You can see where this is going. Not all of us have automotive engine design degrees, so unless you do some testing, you really can't predict what is going to happen for certain.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:18 PM
gatti-man

The pop charger as a first mod is relatively worthless imo. Your ramming more air into a clogged path. You need to losen up some backend pressure before you can have more breathing gains. Get an exhaust or hi-flow cats then with the pop charger combo that is where you will see more gains. Im installing my pop charger on tuesday so i will let you know how it goes. I have a nismo exhaust also.
The reason i purchased the charger now is that i have soot on my exhaust alot so i know im running rich. Hopefully the charger will eliminate the surplus richness and add more power but actually losing torque really doesnt make sense unless your already running lean to begin with.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by gatti-man
The pop charger as a first mod is relatively worthless imo. Your ramming more air into a clogged path. You need to losen up some backend pressure before you can have more breathing gains. Get an exhaust or hi-flow cats then with the pop charger combo that is where you will see more gains. Im installing my pop charger on tuesday so i will let you know how it goes. I have a nismo exhaust also.
The reason i purchased the charger now is that i have soot on my exhaust alot so i know im running rich. Hopefully the charger will eliminate the surplus richness and add more power but actually losing torque really doesnt make sense unless your already running lean to begin with.
Thank you... I look forward to your results.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:14 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by gatti-man
And that's my point. Its difficult to realize the full potential or “more air in and more air out” until you have replaced all the pieces of the puzzle (headers, high-flow cats...). Most 350Z drivers don't have the bucks to do it all a once, but gradually over time. Its all good.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:33 AM
diwun67

gatti-man, adding a pop charger won't lean out your a/f, simply because yes you're letting in more air, but the MAF is also reading more air and thus tells the ecu to dump more fuel to compensate
Old 09-03-2005, 09:29 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by diwun67
gatti-man, adding a pop charger won't lean out your a/f, simply because yes you're letting in more air, but the MAF is also reading more air and thus tells the ecu to dump more fuel to compensate
I expect that you are correct. But the ECU makes slight adjustents and i cant imagine it would richen it up that much. Im also doing other flow mods like a vented hood and a duct of some kind (maybe C-west or varis who knows). Since i drive an 05 i cant mess with the ECU yet so this is one of my options. Even if it doesnt solve my richness problem i do need more flow, so thats how i decided to buy it. Not to mentiont he pop charger is chump change compared to the other mods ive done so far. Rims tires exhaust hood seats short throw = 4-5k!.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:38 PM
aforst

ECU's do not make adjustments to air fuel ratios at WOT. That is why with "breathing mods" There is very little room for HP gains with out ecu remaps. In fact if you free the flow with breathing mods ie Intake plenums headers cats exhaust. You most likely will run lean. To lean and the engine will misfire or detonate causing a loss in HP. (The ecu will make adjustments to timing)
Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by aforst
ECU's do not make adjustments to air fuel ratios at WOT. That is why with "breathing mods" There is very little room for HP gains with out ecu remaps. In fact if you free the flow with breathing mods ie Intake plenums headers cats exhaust. You most likely will run lean. To lean and the engine will misfire or detonate causing a loss in HP. (The ecu will make adjustments to timing)
Yes but if you look at my previous posts im running rich not lean. Also i dont plan on buying a plenum just a pop charger. I think one or the other is sufficient since i havent seen flow tests with a pop charger and plenum. Just plenum or just pop charger but my car definitly needs more air. More than likely my ecu will change my a/f though for the worse who knows I need to get an emanage ultimate but my money is stuck in drive train mods right now. Buying a quaife lsd 3.9evo and jwt flywheel for a all at one time install.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:01 AM
gatti-man

Ok installed the pop charger and a seibon hood today. My first impressions were this "Ugh did i even do anything?" The sound is the same the power is the same. After driving it for about thirty minutes I noticed two things had changed. 1) My power band is smoother. Normally under WOT the power band would have dips that i could feel just for a slpit second. Those are now gone it pulls smooth but not stronger imo. 2) My nismo exhaust is louder, by about 15%. So a light drone now becomes a drone i actually can here over my stereo. In short this mod may not be a keeper. I will let it stay on for a month or so but im really not impressed. Seems like a $100 improvement (not much) to me unless this mod does better on an unmodified 350Z.

Quick Reply: This might be a NEW JWT Popcharger question... I Think. :)