Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

More Air to Popcharger mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:00 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More Air to Popcharger mod

I think I've seen one or two people do this mod, where they used air duct to channel more (cool) air from the grill up to the JWT popcharger.

I don't think I've seen it done this way, where the front bumper does not have to be removed to install it, so here goes...

In the bumper there are 2 plastic squares on each end of the grill that can be removed. Super simple to remove, just pop the 3 plastic 'rivets' with a screwdriver and the square comes off. Just reach in from the hood latch area and pull it up.

You might want to remove the hood latch for easier access. Just unscrew 3 bolts and latch comes off.

Ok, once out you can either 1) Drill a 4" hole to fit the duct or 2) Make a duplicate so you can save it.

I choose to make a duplicate out of sheet aluminum. Yeah, you could mold one out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, but I didn't want to bother with the mess. Plus aluminum is WAY cheaper, easier to work with (just cut with sharp scissors) and I already had plenty in stock.

Ok, here are my supplies:

I use paper to trace the plastic box, vertically and horizontally and transfered it to aluminum. (as you see in pic). Drill a 4" hole in middle, holes for the rivets on top and holes for bolts to secure Draft Blocker to aluminum
The plastic box that I removed is next to it on the right.
I use 4" Dryer Duct to channel the air in. (tip, try not to use an aluminum duct like I have, the aluminum chips off )
A mesh to keep out bugs and a 4" Dryer Vent Draft Blocker to connect the duct to the box. Also a 4" ring clamp to hold the Duct to the Draft Blocker.

To assemble, just stack the aluminum sheets together and screw the Draft Blocker to the back. I used #6 3/8" machine bolts.
Spray paint it black and let it dry over night. I also applied FatMat to the back for stability and possible noise vibration.

To install, you just have to slide the box in from the hood latch area, then the air duct. It's a good idea to tape/glue the wire mesh to the Draft blocker first.
Set it face down and slide the air duct on the Draft Blocker, over the wire mesh and secure it with the ring clamp.

Then comes the Hard part. Popping the rivets back in.
Suggest putting in the right one in first (the one next to the tire, not next to the center) Stick one hand down the hood latch area to hold the box (and find the hole) while the other hand holds the rivet thru the grill. A long needle nose plier is handy if you have short, chubby fingers.
Once that's in, put the other 2 in (the middle is gonna be the hardest due to the Draft Blocker being in the way)

Finally, Pull the Duct up to the 'snorkel' and you're done!
Since I used a 4" duct, it is big enough where the hood 'support' when down will hold it in place.

Oh, I just used some left over aluminum to make a extra heat shield

Pretty much invisible/stock looking.

Everything can be purchased at home depot.
air duct is like $9
Draft blocker $5
Aluminum Sheet $3-6 (already had)
4" Ring Clamp $1
#6 bolts $1 (already had)
Ultra Flat Black Paint $3

So, I just spent like $20 bux for this mod and like 2-3 hours total to do it.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:10 PM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good...but since the temperatures are in the 75'sish here now...my popcharger runs cold (woot). My plenum though...is hot as hell.. feels like 150-180 degrees via my nerves..
Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Landbarger

So you're kinda making a CAI out of a popcharger, right? Looks like a good DIY job, btw. I have the SFR CAI (popcharger) and might not want to do the ducting, but am trying to come up with a good jerry-rigged heatshield.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:13 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It functions similar to the K&N Typhoon.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Roger V

Notice anything?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:19 PM
undrgnd

I bought a 6"X9" brake duct from a race wholesale place with some 3" silicone hose to accomplish the same thing. The only other difference is I left out both plastic thingies from each end of the grille, and hung the duct underneath the aluminum bumper on the driver side - totally stealth.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:11 PM
alphared

Originally Posted by Landbarger
So you're kinda making a CAI out of a popcharger, right? Looks like a good DIY job, btw. I have the SFR CAI (popcharger) and might not want to do the ducting, but am trying to come up with a good jerry-rigged heatshield.
yeah, similar.
Think the heatshield is one of the hardest to isolate the popcharger. With the extra top piece, I notice that it still gets warm. Not as warm as the popcharger shield, but still warm.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:23 PM
alphared

Originally Posted by Roger V
Notice anything?
Just test drove it and yes, I did notice a difference.
It's ALOT louder. A little gas and it sounds like full throttle, just sucking in air.
acceleration seems a bit higher. Before even at full throttle, it felt bit sluggish.
also Idle is slightly higher. Used to be around 750 rpm, now it's like 850-900 rpm . Not that if fluctuate 50 rmp, it's just hard to tell from the dial Idle is very stable and consistent.

The cooler air might contribute to the difference, but I've never seen or heard the Z like it is now. So, very satisfied with this mod

gonna see if a better heat shielding will provide more gains
Old 09-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Roger V

Originally Posted by alphared
Just test drove it and yes, I did notice a difference.
It's ALOT louder. A little gas and it sounds like full throttle, just sucking in air.
acceleration seems a bit higher. Before even at full throttle, it felt bit sluggish.
also Idle is slightly higher. Used to be around 750 rpm, now it's like 850-900 rpm . Not that if fluctuate 50 rmp, it's just hard to tell from the dial Idle is very stable and consistent.

The cooler air might contribute to the difference, but I've never seen or heard the Z like it is now. So, very satisfied with this mod

gonna see if a better heat shielding will provide more gains

So the car started feeling sluggish when you got close to redline? I am not sure I read that right.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 PM
plumpzz

All that from just rerouting? damn.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 PM
kosmic

For the fabrication challenged, is there an aftermarket mod that does the same thing aside from the Varis nostril...er...air duct? Not talking CAI, just the concept of routing more air to popcharger / stock air box.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Roger V

Where are the little rivets for the plastic pieces on each side of the grill? I was going to pull them out tonight, but I couldn't find them.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:59 PM
usmanasif

Nice work! Quite impressed by the cleanliness of the mod. Props!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Landbarger

this may help... i figured the ducting for what it was worth wasn't going to bring me much colder temps than what was already in the grill cavity. so i just sealled off the hole around the hood latch and made the OEM intake cowl larger. the sheild has been on the car since spring, it works great IMO.

later,
Zquicksilver
Old 09-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Landbarger

Zquicksilver- looks great, and even the RS*R sticker doesn't hurt anything, looks very well done.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, i didn't know where to put that sticker that came with the springs? i figured i get another 10whp by slapping it on there... mmmmwhwhahhaa, jk!

Zquicksilver
Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 PM
kosmic

That looks pretty damn good, Zquicksilver. The sticker surely helps increase the air velocity.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:31 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Nice, ive been thinking of making some type of contraption like this, but never had any initiative. I'll definately be using this tutorial as a starting point. Thanks, and great work!

Last edited by USMC-Z; 09-29-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM
BOOFER7
Banned

Seems like you could have just bought the full CAI and saved alot of your time.

I'll bet you had fun doing it though..
Old 09-30-2005, 12:30 PM
alphared

Originally Posted by Roger V
So the car started feeling sluggish when you got close to redline? I am not sure I read that right.
No it was sluggish before the mod.

Quick Reply: More Air to Popcharger mod