Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Cusom exhaust project FAILED

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cusom exhaust project FAILED

Ok, here it is. I spent about 460 bucks total on a custom exhaust system and still dont have the sound I want. I am pissed. Not wanting to spend any more money, I am opting for a aftermarket system.

I now have two magnaflow mufflers and two glasspacks running true dual out. The car sounds like a freakin fartcat was put on it. Its embarassing. I feel like I should have 3 gold teeth, a huge gold chain, a sideways hat with the annoying starch straight bill, pants to my ankles, and say "ho" and "know what im sayin" every other word. So here are my choices of exhausts:

Keep in mind I have NO idea what these sound like. I only have heard soundclips of a few.

http://intensepower.com/hksduhititex.html
http://intensepower.com/ing2titipcae.html
http://intensepower.com/stduwatiptrd.html
http://intensepower.com/tasumehyexsy.html
http://intensepower.com/powenex35.html

I know everyone's opinion is different, and If I lived somewhere where I could hear them all in action, I would. But I need some help here. I am leaning towards the stillen because out of all the soundclips I have heard, I like it the most. The nismo is out because my buddy is getting one, and I want my car to sound a little different than his.

thanks ahead of time all.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:15 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What sound are you looking for?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HKS, just something about having a REAL dual exhaust.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
002-M-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are N/A correct? Did you put an X-Pipe in the system at all?

If they are dual and never mix with each other a little bit like in an X-Pipe you will sound like two 3-cylinder engines battling.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Sup, know what I'm saying! to your Motha!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Tackett

Yes I am N/A

I have no X-pipe, I know it would sound better with one, but I probably would be better off putting that money toward a aftermarket than putting more money into my poopey exhaust project.

I am looking for a highpitched smooth sound, almost like a porche carrera gt. I have half a mind to put a freakin crotch rocket muffler on there. hehe just kidding. I hate rasp, I hate the sound of tuner honda civics. I want to be as far away from those as possible. If a blind man heard the car, I would want him to say "that has to be a ferrari or lamborghini" not "oh, another fast and the furious fanboy." I know there are numourous posts about this EXACT same subject, but reading them does no good. I just need to hear them, but I cant. I am going to a Z meet this friday, so maybe I will hear something then.

I heard a soundclip of the stillen SS and in the clip it sounds AWSOME. not exactly what I want, but awsome none-the-less. I am just not sure if the other exhausts will be closer to that high pitched "crotch-rockety" porche carrerra gt sound.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:59 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m sorry that the custom exhaust didn't work out. Trying to build a specific “sound” has got to be tough. Do you go to Z-meets and hear exhaust set-ups?. Several Zs race regularly at Summit Point, and there should be at least 10 Zs at Skyline Drive this weekend. I’d listen to the exhaust (on a real Z) before i bought it.

Last edited by davidv; 10-05-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:01 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
You are N/A correct? Did you put an X-Pipe in the system at all?

If they are dual and never mix with each other a little bit like in an X-Pipe you will sound like two 3-cylinder engines battling.
I resent that remark.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Tackett

Originally Posted by davidv
I’m sorry that the custom exhaust didn't work out. Trying to build a specific “sound” has got to be tough. Do you go to Z-meets and hear exhaust set-ups?. Several Zs race regularly at Summit Point, and there should be at least 10 Zs at Skyline Drive this weekend. I’d listen to the exhaust (on a real Z) before i bought it.

I am going to the skyline drive this weekend. You can all hear my fartcan, Ill light up the McDonalds with its crapness. I am definatley going to have to hear them, or just accept the fact that Ill never get the exact sound I want and have to settle with something. But for 1-2Gs you would think I could find something.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:50 PM
booger

I would try the X pipe first . The Stillen uses an X pipe and 2 resonators and 2 mufflers . If you put in the X , you may end up witha simular sound
Old 10-05-2005, 03:54 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Tackett
I am going to the skyline drive this weekend. You can all hear my fartcan, Ill light up the McDonalds with its crapness. I am definatley going to have to hear them, or just accept the fact that Ill never get the exact sound I want and have to settle with something. But for 1-2Gs you would think I could find something.
Look forward to seeing you.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:18 PM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by davidv
I resent that remark.
Haha, yeah. I love saying it though
Old 10-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put an x-pipe in. If you run true duals out to 2 seperate mufflers you will lose the Z's awesome tone. And yes it will be raspy and loud. I know I have the Injen with test-pipes. Try the x-pipe and if that doesnt work, and you still want a true dual get a dual exhaust with only 1 muffler, like the Invidia, or HKS, or Stillen. Trust me-td's and seperate mufflers on a Z just doesnt sounds like a Z, and will never be high pitched, although it will be loud. Post some pics or a quick clip of your exhaust Id like to hear it.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:20 PM
booger

The Stillen uses 2 mufflers not 1...on mine anyway
Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
kosmic

I'm with the guys who recommend an x or h pipe to let the exhaust pulses mix. That should help deepen the tone and get rid of that fart can sound, and it wouldn't cost you much to try it. Also, talk to the shop who did your exhaust and see if they can recommend quieter mufflers that still flow well and ask if they will take the magnaflows back and you just pay the difference between those and a replacement muffler. Can't hurt to ask...worst thing they can do is say no. Even after a bit of tweaking on the exhaust, you'll still be OTD for a good price.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
baileyrx

x-pipe 1st,
then try removing the glass packs & putting in resonators(different sound)

i read an article where mazda went through 50-60 mufflers before it chose 1 for the miata.
I'm sure nissan/infiniti went through a similar process to get the sound just right
Old 10-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Exhaust Depot

x-pipe WILL deepen the tone.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Acree

i know i've said it before, but i'll say it again. PRO-1!!
I know it's not true dual, but the sound is amazing.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by Tackett
Ok, here it is. I spent about 460 bucks total on a custom exhaust system and still dont have the sound I want. I am pissed. Not wanting to spend any more money, I am opting for a aftermarket system.

I now have two magnaflow mufflers and two glasspacks running true dual out. The car sounds like a freakin fartcat was put on it. Its embarassing. I feel like I should have 3 gold teeth, a huge gold chain, a sideways hat with the annoying starch straight bill, pants to my ankles, and say "ho" and "know what im sayin" every other word. So here are my choices of exhausts:

Keep in mind I have NO idea what these sound like. I only have heard soundclips of a few.

http://intensepower.com/hksduhititex.html
http://intensepower.com/ing2titipcae.html
http://intensepower.com/stduwatiptrd.html
http://intensepower.com/tasumehyexsy.html
http://intensepower.com/powenex35.html

I know everyone's opinion is different, and If I lived somewhere where I could hear them all in action, I would. But I need some help here. I am leaning towards the stillen because out of all the soundclips I have heard, I like it the most. The nismo is out because my buddy is getting one, and I want my car to sound a little different than his.

thanks ahead of time all.

My custom true-dual catback cost me $500 at the local custom exhaust shop. Sounds amazing.....check the pics and vid in my sig.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:48 AM
Tackett

I hate living where I do, everyone here is so apathetic and lazy. I took the car back up to have an X-pipe put on, and he says there is no room.....well I am standing under the car looking up at the bottom of it and I say "how do you get that?" I have seen tons of pics of x-pipes under Z's. I argued for a while and then just left. Bottom line is I think they are tired of screwing with me. That sucks becuase it is the only place within decent distance of me that will do custom exhaust work. I should have known better to try something like this around here, everytime I try to get people around here to try something out of the box and different, I get stonewalled with the same ole "You can't do it" phrase, and wind up doing it myself. My center console was the same way, I took it to fifty body shops and always got the same answer. "you cant do it." So I wound up just doing it myself. I have tons of other experiences like that also. So like every other project I want to do, I will probably be doing it myself.

Don't ever move to West Virginia, stay away, far away. It is the lazy capitol of the universe.

Quick Reply: Cusom exhaust project FAILED