Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Would I need a tune after I/H/E and plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thawk408
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...38370850lJWBTB

Bottom of the graph is the A/F numbers. This is all according to the blue line.
looks safe to me, not too rich, not too lean.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
gotagetmyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one for you guys.

The last time I dyno'd, I was running lean very lean.

15.5 @ 3400rpm gradually dropping down to about 14.0 @ 6500 rpm. (sorry no chart)

I took everyones advice and decided to call TC. The guy on the line told me that my numbers were unusual and that I should check for leaks and dyno again just to be on the safe side. Also I only checked A/F on one side and not both.

Checked for leaks. Fixed one side but the other side (drivers side) still has a leak.
I reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for a week. Drove the car for about a week, then got it dyno'd again at the same shop.

Worse!!!!!

Passenger side
A/F was at 16.0 @ 3500 rpm jumped up and down from 16 to 17 then finally drop down below 16 @ 5500 rpm to 15 @ 6600rpm (sorry no chart)

Driver side
A/F started at 17 @ 3500rpm jumps to 18 @ 4000rpm then gradually drops down to 16 @ 6500rpm (ditto)

This can't be right, can it?

I want to get it tested else where but I would have to drive 5-6 hrs to Houston, San Antonio, or Austin.

Dyno is a Winpep 7 Dynojet

CAI,Test Pipes,Dual Exhaust,Plenum,pully

What should I do!

Thanks,

D
Old 11-23-2005, 06:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thawk408
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...38370850lJWBTB

Bottom of the graph is the A/F numbers. This is all according to the blue line.
I like it. As the rpm increases, the Air:fuel ratio decreases just as it should: I’d rather be rich at redline than lean. Great numbers by the way!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gotagetmyZ
I have one for you guys.

The last time I dyno'd, I was running lean very lean.

15.5 @ 3400rpm gradually dropping down to about 14.0 @ 6500 rpm. (sorry no chart)

I took everyones advice and decided to call TC. The guy on the line told me that my numbers were unusual and that I should check for leaks and dyno again just to be on the safe side. Also I only checked A/F on one side and not both.

Checked for leaks. Fixed one side but the other side (drivers side) still has a leak.
I reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for a week. Drove the car for about a week, then got it dyno'd again at the same shop.

Worse!!!!!

Passenger side
A/F was at 16.0 @ 3500 rpm jumped up and down from 16 to 17 then finally drop down below 16 @ 5500 rpm to 15 @ 6600rpm (sorry no chart)

Driver side
A/F started at 17 @ 3500rpm jumps to 18 @ 4000rpm then gradually drops down to 16 @ 6500rpm (ditto)

This can't be right, can it?

I want to get it tested else where but I would have to drive 5-6 hrs to Houston, San Antonio, or Austin.

Dyno is a Winpep 7 Dynojet

CAI,Test Pipes,Dual Exhaust,Plenum,pully

What should I do!

Thanks,

D
You have the same mods as me before I got a reflash. I was also VERY lean. I could feel my car lagging at high rpm's on hot days-most likely the ECU pulling timing to compensate. I think this is happening in your case. Everyday your car will run differently, colder days will run better, hot days will struggle-you can prolly feel it. I was barely running faster than stock at the track with all the mods you listed on a warm 75 degree day. I would send your latest dyno/mods list with A/F to Technosquare and have them tune it. Or you can get a piggyback like a Greddy emanage and have it tuned. All those mods are worthless at this point, your ECU is fighting to keep your car from detonating, especially on hot days Im sure. At best your car will be marginally quicker than a stock Z. I went from trapping 104mph with your exact mods to 106-107mph with the ECU, it really completed the mods nicely.

thawk408-your A/F is safe. If you plan on moddign more I would continue, you are rich at redline. If you have no plans for future moddin then I would try to get the A/F in the high 12's low 13's across the board for more power.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:34 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by davidv
I like it. As the rpm increases, the Air:fuel ratio decreases just as it should: I’d rather be rich at redline than lean. Great numbers by the way!
I looks pretty safe how it is now, just kinda odd that with all my mods it is still running that rich up top. I really want to get a tune and see how much power I can get.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:41 AM
gotagetmyZ

Thanks alberto,

Your exact impression of what your car was doing before the ECU programing is what mine is doing. Some days it feels good some days as the rpms rise the power drops enough for me to feel the difference. That was my impression too that the ECU was pulling timing and stuff..... Your comment just put it in concrete. I will look into the Emanage Ut. or the TC reflash. Your advice is most appreciated.

D
Old 11-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gotagetmyZ
Thanks alberto,

Your exact impression of what your car was doing before the ECU programing is what mine is doing. Some days it feels good some days as the rpms rise the power drops enough for me to feel the difference. That was my impression too that the ECU was pulling timing and stuff..... Your comment just put it in concrete. I will look into the Emanage Ut. or the TC reflash. Your advice is most appreciated.

D
Your welcome glad I could help. Your gonna have one nice NA set-up when you get it tuned