Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Header Install and where to find Injen SES

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
u know j, if ur so worried about the price, do it yourself. 400 is a very reasonable price for a shop to do the headers on this. just bc david payed 200 does not mean anyone else can get that deal. guess what? i payed 150 to get mine done, but i had a friend do it at my house and i helped him, he is a mechanic...networking pays off.

keep in mind mrc has bills to pay, dont expect them to negotiate a lower rate just cuz u think its not fair. some shops will negotiate lower rates but usually only for big ticket jobs like engine rebuilds or turbo installs where the bill is in the thousands of dollars.

I dont think you thought i was 100% dead money serious...
Even though I got my headers for like what... 2 months now?
I still havent gotten them on... just I need time, money, and planning...
Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by jvanquish
you reply fast
for a working man
Im not the mechanic, Im the sales guy..Now please stop insulting me and my shop..

One thing you need to keep in mind is that we have installed every type of header on the 350Z/G35 and we know none of them except for the Borla headers have been a direct fit..Some headers such as the XERDS required the elonating of holes or grinding of flange materials to fit..We know before we even get under your car what needs to be done and where.Now if you dont have the money to mod your car, then do not..It is that simple, but stop insulting me on a forum in which I pay to advertise my services..
This is the second time you have insulted my company or one of our cars.I recall you flaming our Silver show car that attended you meet in Valley Forge PA in November..If I recall correctly you called it a "powder puff girls" car...

Please, if you do not like what I qouted you, then go elsewhere..
Old 01-04-2006, 06:33 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Im not the mechanic, Im the sales guy..Now please stop insulting me and my shop..

One thing you need to keep in mind is that we have installed every type of header on the 350Z/G35 and we know none of them except for the Borla headers have been a direct fit..Some headers such as the XERDS required the elonating of holes or grinding of flange materials to fit..We know before we even get under your car what needs to be done and where.Now if you dont have the money to mod your car, then do not..It is that simple, but stop insulting me on a forum in which I pay to advertise my services..
This is the second time you have insulted my company or one of our cars.I recall you flaming our Silver show car that attended you meet in Valley Forge PA in November..If I recall correctly you called it a "powder puff girls" car...

Please, if you do not like what I qouted you, then go elsewhere..

Please this is an open forum I did not mean or intend to insult your shop
My true to heart apologies if I offended you and your shop
If its too much to take a joke across the electronic wires then I will stop doing so within your advertising threads...
Again I am deeply sorry for crossing your lines of business
Old 01-04-2006, 06:44 AM
InsaneChink

i just got my NISMO headers and Cat-back installed at the NISSAN dealer for 300.00. I thought that it was a pretty good deal.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by InsaneChink
i just got my NISMO headers and Cat-back installed at the NISSAN dealer for 300.00. I thought that it was a pretty good deal.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:35 PM
RedBird

Unfortunately headers are one mod that falls into that exact category,thus the lack of popularity in the last 2 years..Plus the minimal gain they produce on 80% of the cars that install them. Headers are one of those things that unless your willing to go ***** deep, they are a waste of time..And money.
Can you explain exactly how deep you need to go to make the headers worth the money?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by RedBird
Can you explain exactly how deep you need to go to make the headers worth the money?
Like I said, ***** deep..
IMO based on what we have seen at our facility and on the forums, simply bolting on headers yeilds littel if any gain, which negates their cost effectiveness in most peoples eyes..When your paying $600+ for a QUALITY header and $400 for install, and yeild 5-8 peak HP and loose alot of low end HP, this is not a good selling point. In fact, we have seen a slowdown in headers being sold in the past 2 years.
Now, Im not saying that they are not worth the money, however you have to be willing to go, like I said, ***** deep..You will see nice gains from a plenum,intake,headers,and full exhaust, but not what everyone expects..Now tunning has played a big part in sucess with headers..Over a year and a half ago we experimented with tuning on the same set up, using Xerd full length headers, and realized alomos 290 whp.
The recent addition of affordable and safe F/I has made setups like I mentioned a rare request from our customers, due to cost outweighing the gain compared to F/I gains..
I hope this clarifies my statement..
Old 01-04-2006, 02:42 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll tell you the most interesting thing about this thread. Dershum. 7 days after the initial post, not a peep from Dershum. I searched sites for prices, posted photos and scanned sales receipts. And for that do you think that Dershum could drop by a say “thanks.” No. Very rude.

Another waste-of-time member added to my “ignore” list
Old 01-05-2006, 05:34 AM
partshipperdave

MRC Motorsports - just thought I'd answer your request for a dyno chart of an independent dyno test. This is from a fellow my350z forum member who purchased the headers from us and did his own dyno tests. We had nothing to do with it, and he even paid for the tests out of his own pocket. He has an NA '05 Z with nothing more than a popcharger on it. He did his own dyno tests at a reputable shop in his area, and took the advice of many list members on how to get the most non-biased accurate dyno test possible. There is a thread here somewhere that documents everything. Can't locate it right now, but it's in this forum.

Here is the before and after runs overlayed for your reference:

Not too bad for "economy headers" huh?!

In our experience and having seen and inspected just about every header available when we were deciding on which manufacturer to represent, we believe the the quality of the Strup headers is some of the best on the market. That's why we chose to work with them exclusively and proudly promote and sell their products.

We have many very happy customers who have nothing but great things to say about the quality and performance of these headers.

As to the install questions, it is something that can be done by someone who has some knowledge and experience turning wrenches on a car. Yes, they are a bit challenging, and there are some tight spaces to work with. The right tools help, and so does patience and a friend to help. Figure, if you plan to do this install yourself, you can expect it to take you around 6-8 hours realistically, if you take your time. Yes, a shop can install these for you in about 4 hours, which is a much better install time than some other long tube headers, or "non-economic" headers on the market that requires you to lift the engine, or in some cases, even drop the trans. These installs have taken some shops around 8-10 hours to install. So take your calculator out for that bill!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

PartshipperDave,

There is something off on that Dyno,way off..The stock or basline dyno is 228, we normally see a stock z dyno more like 240whp on a dynojet.On a stock 350z with 287 CHP there is a 15% drivetrain loss whic would equate to 243 whp on the average, higer if we are reffering to a 300hp "rev-up" motor,
So I would have to say the baseline was off or tampered with..We have been modding 350Z's since they were released and specialize in 350Z's and G35's and have never seen any on mod product those gains claimed by your customer.Not to mention a power curve that is not consistant with a typical header, with a low end loss and lots of gain up top.. Not that I am rasing the BS flag, but I am stating something was not right, as simply putting on a header will not yeild over 25 whp, it simply does not happen.Now if there were more mods between runs like intake,plenum,exhaust and test pipes in conjunction with the headers,this would be a bit more believable...
As far as economy headers, I use that term for the lower retail priced headers on the market,but do not mean it in a negative way..There are some headers on the market that are absolute crap from what we have seen and installed...Not directed towards any one product in particular.
Bu what I am saying is headers alone do not make that much power,regardless what the manufacturers claims are or the sles pitch used.We are 100% honest with our customers and we know what works and what does not..
I will step up even further to defend my words and I will offer Jvanquish a deal of a lifetime...If he brings us the headers to install at our shop and the before and after dyno looks like the one you posted with over 25whp gains, I will not charge him a penny..If he does not make the same or similar power as your dyno, he pays our $400 installation fee..Now lets see someone put their money where their mouth is for a change..
I am really tired of bogus manufacturer and salesman dynos and claims, this hurts the industry as a whole and takes advantage of the believing consumers that purhcase this stuff..
Old 01-05-2006, 06:49 AM
partshipperdave

hey MRC Motorsports,

fair enough. and I completely understand your skepticism as I believe that you have seen and turned wrenches on numerous Z's. I'm not trying to sales pitch or BS you or the list here. I'm just passing along what one of our customers experienced with these headers. As mentioned, the only mod done to his car before the headers were even installed was a pop charger. nothing else before or after. Neither we, nor Strup, had anything to do with this test. It was an independent effort. I agree that the baseline seems lower than others, and the test, if you check the numbers, is only showing gains of 19hp and 19 ft./lbs. of torque, not 25. I agree that 25hp would be a hard pill to swallow for just a set of headers. I'm not aware of any NA mod that could produce those kind of gains single-handedly. Another thing to consider is everyone's dyno is different and setups are different, even if they are the same manufacturer - so certain variances must be accounted for. True also, your drivetrain estimates are accurate.

For your reference, here's the original thread on this forum where the person who submitted the dyno test to us posted his findings - including info on the baseline run.

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/136084-will-a-set-of-headers-actually-make-a-noticeable-difference.html

We are 100% honest with our customers too, and I do not believe that we are bogus salesmen nor do I believe that Strup is a bogus manufacturer. And I am not trying to deceive anyone here. All I am doing is answering your request for an independent dyno test, since we all know that, typically, dyno tests submitted by manufcturers tend to be a hard pill to swallow sometimes. I'm sorry that by this one post, you feel that way about us.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:56 AM
steela2110

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt that partshipperdave would lie or tamper with the dyno sheet as some have claimed. All he simply did was post an example of what his shop experienced with the strup headers. I dont understand why some people have to get so worked up on posts by other members. I do not know partshipperdave, but I am sure that he would not waste his time by posting some bugus post. Maybe the headers did produce those numbers that were stated. Take it for what it is worth for gods sake!
Old 01-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by steela2110
I highly doubt that partshipperdave would lie or tamper with the dyno sheet as some have claimed. All he simply did was post an example of what his shop experienced with the strup headers. I dont understand why some people have to get so worked up on posts by other members. I do not know partshipperdave, but I am sure that he would not waste his time by posting some bugus post. Maybe the headers did produce those numbers that were stated. Take it for what it is worth for gods sake!
No one was saying the "HE"tampered with the dyno, I was saying that the DYNO itself was inconsistant with industry results that we have seen..And convieiently in favor of the manufacturer of the part.If you believe it then fine, go out and buy the magical headers.My opinion is that the dyno was not accurate and we have yet to see a simple bolt on mod make 25hp on a N/A car..Thats all.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:24 PM
steela2110

How about we do what we want with our cars... Perhaps that means purchasing the so called, "magical headers," and you do what you want with yours. Thanks for your input but I frankly don't care for what you have to say. Just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

How about we do what we want with our cars... Perhaps that means purchasing the so called, "magical headers," and you do what you want with yours. Thanks for your input but I frankly don't care for what you have to say. Just my opinion.
Oh, I see, now I am a bad guy cause Im HONEST with my customers and dont show them fake DYNO's to sell products..Do what you want with your car, when your ready to do what "WORKS" let me know..
Old 01-07-2006, 01:05 AM
steela2110

It seems as if you are a little over confident in what, "WORKS." I dont think you honestly have any clue what works. Your just here to bash on other peoples post because you are so damn full of yourself. I dont think you are the bad guy in any way but it seems as if you think that your sh*t don't stink! "Now I am a bad guy cause Im HONEST with my customers and dont show them fake DYNO's to sell products." Your trying to make yourself out like the most honest salesperson in the world. Hopefully your clients dont see this post because you seem very un-professional.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

It seems as if you are a little over confident in what, "WORKS." I dont think you honestly have any clue what works. Your just here to bash on other peoples post because you are so damn full of yourself. I dont think you are the bad guy in any way but it seems as if you think that your sh*t don't stink! "Now I am a bad guy cause Im HONEST with my customers and dont show them fake DYNO's to sell products." Your trying to make yourself out like the most honest salesperson in the world. Hopefully your clients dont see this post because you seem very un-professional.
How do I sound unprofessional,please expound? I know that headers alone have not made that much HP on any car we have installed them on, and we have installed over 2 dozen sets on 350z/G35's with gains no where near 25hp from just the headers.
You are correct about one thing, I am confident.So confident in fact I offered Jvanquish FREE install if he makes the 25 whp like the Dyno posted above.What other shop would put their money where their mouth was like that? You pass quick judgment and are swift to flame me for no reason.This thread has gone way off topic and started off as someone asking where to get headers installed and what price should he expect to pay.I answered his questions to the best I could, and what happened? I get flamed for my prices, I get flamed for my personal knowledge and experiences...That is simply too funny.
I have just realized no matter what you say on these forums, someone can twist it around into a witch hunt if they so choose.I am sorry if I offended anyone in my opinions and postings, and I will no longer reply to this thread..
FWIW, my offer still stands, anyone who comes to my shop and can produce 25whp after installing only headers on a N/A car, will have a $0 charge for the install, this is my word..

Later..
"unprofessional" MRC
Old 01-07-2006, 06:02 AM
EM-EFER

How do I sound unprofessional,please expound? I know that headers alone have not made that much HP on any car we have installed them on, and we have installed over 2 dozen sets on 350z/G35's with gains no where near 25hp from just the headers.
You are correct about one thing, I am confident.So confident in fact I offered Jvanquish FREE install if he makes the 25 whp like the Dyno posted above.What other shop would put their money where their mouth was like that? You pass quick judgment and are swift to flame me for no reason.This thread has gone way off topic and started off as someone asking where to get headers installed and what price should he expect to pay.I answered his questions to the best I could, and what happened? I get flamed for my prices, I get flamed for my personal knowledge and experiences...That is simply too funny.
I have just realized no matter what you say on these forums, someone can twist it around into a witch hunt if they so choose.I am sorry if I offended anyone in my opinions and postings, and I will no longer reply to this thread..
FWIW, my offer still stands, anyone who comes to my shop and can produce 25whp after installing only headers on a N/A car, will have a $0 charge for the install, this is my word..

Later..
"unprofessional" MRC
Anyone with half a brain on this website knows headers dont make Shiet without big cams. Even then it wouldnt pull 25rwhp. My DC's only yielded 2whp PEAK but 12whp from 2400rpm - 4900rpm.

NOTE-DC are almost 100% identical to the strups... but I would say the collectors on the DC are a much better finish.

Last edited by EM-EFER; 01-07-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:05 AM
EM-EFER

MRC Keep replying to this thread... you havnt been unprofessional what-so ever.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 PM
steela2110

Thanks for you help buddy but I think that MRC can speak for himself

Originally Posted by lukesnyder
MRC Keep replying to this thread... you havnt been unprofessional what-so ever.

Quick Reply: Header Install and where to find Injen SES