Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Tony@MotorDyne .. need your input - gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Rhoads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
The gasket you have is the new Iso Thermal Plenum gasket.

So now the Iso Thermal kit has three levels of thermal isolation built in.
1) The Aramid gasket that goes between the manifold and the lower plenum.
2) The new Iso Thermal plenum gasket that is applied directly to the plenum spacer.
3) The Copper throttle body heater which isolates your plenum from hot engine coolant flowing through it.

End result will be even lower plenum temperatures!
Sweet Thanks again for all your help and patience and with my numerous questions.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mc350z
my 2003 Z OEM strut bar bolts are 12mm. is that what they all are?

my car was built in july of 2002 so i guess i need to run to the harware store and pickup some M8 30 mm bolts?
12mm at the head is OK, but it is the threaded shaft that counts. I suggest waiting for your kit to come in and try one of the bolts to check it first.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:41 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

oh ive got the kit. im gonna try the bolt right now

How did it go ? Well, I hope !
Old 02-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Rhoads

Tony,
Just so you know my strut bar was contacting my hood as well when using your spacers... I used in there place 2 of the washers you sent for the strut bar bolts under each strut bar bolt on the drivers side, and 2 washers from Home Depo under each bolt on the passenger side... The hood is sealing much better now, but I think it may still be contacting a tiny bit... also the washer I used from Home Depo on the passenger side strut bar are a little shorter than the ones you sent me (maybe a 16th to a 32nd of an Inch when combined) do you think that matters? Its also kinda wierd because I think the passenger side (side with the shorter washers) might still be contacting a little...

I wonder if Im having this clearance problem because I have a 2002 build?

Last edited by Rhoads; 02-05-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Some contact with the rubber padding under the hood is normal. And using the different washers is OK.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Leo14

So if I wanna buy the Motordyne 5/16" Plenum Spacer...do I need to buy extra gaskets. Because on the performance nissan parts website it says...

"NOTE: Extra upper plenum gaskets are recomended, (a total of two). One upper plenum gasket will need to have the center cut out, to match the spacer. Please select below for extra gaskets."

Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Leo14

Ok....thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

ok mine is installed

the M10 strut bolts dont fit. so i had to use the stock ones with the spacers (for now) i didnt use the washers so ive got about half the bolt threaded through.

TONY a few quick questions. do i need to rush out and get longer bolts? or will the OEM ones still be ok? im not trying to sheer a bolt off.

what are they M8 30 mm? whats the thread?

also clearence wise i can fit the packet of instructions under the strut, thats about it! i would add the washers but my hood is so borderline

but i ran it up to redline a few times and didnt hear anything. but its too close to the plenum to see if there is any scratches or rubbing marks.

by the way i can tell an instant difference. the sound is alot deeper. but somehow the "chirp" intake sound of my nismo CAI is gone! its masked by a deeper sound. so with the nismo Exaust my car really has a more unique sound.

so thank you. you make a quality product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you!

As for the stock bolts, you will be fine assuming you have 3/16" or more thread to screw it into. And for the bolt specs, you could do me a big favor by taking one of your stock bolts and taking it to a hardware store and matching it up against another bolt of known dimensions and let me know what they are.

I have tried to get this information for a long time, but its rare to find this bolt in domestic Z's. There were a few Canadian and Australian Z's that had the different bolt, but they werent able to say what the bolt specs were.

Please let me know if you find out.
Tony
Old 02-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

OK. It sounds like you have the M8 bolts. And yes, that is consistant with the 2002 year.

And your clearance is fine as long as the plenum and STB dont touch. If they did, you would notice it as a buzzing sound. If you don't have that, then you are perfectly good to go.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

ok tony here are the specs.

the bolts that come on the 2002 Z's are M8 20mm 1.25 thread. they need to be replaced with a M8 30mm.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've been looking for that thread pitch number for a while.

Tony
Old 02-12-2006, 04:19 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Tony .. In a different thread, you stated .. regarding the new plenum gasket -vs- the one supplied by you in your kit:

"The Motordyne gasket material will be different from the Nissan gasket material."

1/ Will there be any replacement for those who just purchased your kit with the the standard Nissan gasket ?

2/ Approximately when will this new gasket be coming out ?

thanks
Bill
Old 02-12-2006, 05:20 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Hi Bill,

1) Yes a replacement could be done.
2) I have limited quantities for now but they are available direct from Motordyne. The distributors will have them soon too.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Ztampa

Hey Tony, would a plenum leak cause a 1273 code (lean O2 sensor on bank 1)? I have the basic NA mods (popcharger, TP's, exhaust, and MD plenum spacer). Just installed the spacer 2 weeks ago and started blowing the 1273 on friday. I didn't use the torque wrench on the plenum, so a leak seems like the first place to start. Then maybe replace the sensor.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Exhaust leak upstream of the sensors would be the most likely cause.

Even a slight exhaust leak will pull in air during the scavange phase of the exhaust pulse and this will easily set off your sensor code.

I see you have TP's. I would check the TP flange interface seal very carefully.

Quick Reply: Tony@MotorDyne .. need your input - gaskets