Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

What HFC's or test pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
bacalhau16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not sure why everyone rags on megans welds? I bought a used megan downpipe for my evo, drove an additional 16k on it in only 6 punishing months, and it was perfectly fine. I thought it was actually a really well manufactured piece!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
im not sure why everyone rags on megans welds? I bought a used megan downpipe for my evo, drove an additional 16k on it in only 6 punishing months, and it was perfectly fine. I thought it was actually a really well manufactured piece!
"brand name" symtom. Anything that is not Crawford, Kinetix or Nismo are suck.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:58 PM
bacalhau16

Absolutly happens all the time. Im not all that concerned, its not my money thats being wasted!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:45 AM
billly

Dude I dont want ot waste my money either but considering that 150 would be the cheapets thing i've done to the car so far it takes the burden off the mind.

hooah! Just ordered my plenum spacer!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:49 AM
billly

Crap didn't read the post saying that the t pros are megans on the other page. Aww man why is this so damn difficult. SO I guess Labrees it is. Whats the cheapest I can get them? Gred you have a link cuz im finding them for 399 everywhere
Old 02-10-2006, 07:24 AM
mgl

Originally Posted by billly
SO I guess Labrees it is. Whats the cheapest I can get them?

you can get a set of used labrees. there are a few for sale on the private classifieds. otherwise they are around $400 new.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:34 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly megan test pipes suck ****! I bought them for a really good price, put em on 3 days later the resonator is rattling like beans in a pepsi can. This is the gayest product I have ever purchased. You definently get what you pay for, as you can see I was desperate for some whp!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:50 PM
billly

what about the aps resonated test pipes any one know about them they are about 220 and aps has a pretty good name
Old 02-10-2006, 03:53 PM
GReddySetGO
Banned

Seriously, Megan Racing test pipes suck. No, I'm not a name brand *****. I had Megan Racing headers, test pipes and exhaust on my car. I still have the exhaust on. That's not really a high-stress, high-heat area like the headers and test pipes are. The headers cracked, and I've had 2 custoemrs come back with cracked test pipes. So I took those parts off my car aswell. I'm going to be getting LaBree's soon.

And exactly what 97supratt said, they make this rattling noise. All the Megan Racing/T-Pros test pipes, broken or not, make this rattle sound.

Billy, if you wanna get some LaBree's, let me know. I know a local shop that sells them for $350 new. I'm going to be getting some next week for myself.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:14 PM
bacalhau16

see this doesnt make much sense to me though. All you have to do is weld a pipe to two flanges and go. I dont see this as very difficult. Maybe the resonators suck, so thats what gets messed up, but honestly, why dont people just go to a muffler shop and have them make a couple of pipes. After reading this all, im pretty sure that is what im gonna try.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by billly
what about the aps resonated test pipes any one know about them they are about 220 and aps has a pretty good name
if you willing to go into $200 range, get APS.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:07 PM
GReddySetGO
Banned

Theres much more involved that just welding some flanges on a pipe.

The flanges themselves can either be laser cut or CNC milled. The thickness of the flange and the type of metal used must also be taken into consideration.

The the pipe itself, how it is bend, the quality and preciseness of the bend. The type of metal the pipe is made out of, and the sidewall thickness of the pipe.

Then there are the welds, the type of filler used to weld the two pieces together, the preciseness and quality of the welds. Whether or not the welds were sanded and are smooth. Hand welded vs machine weld. There are so many factors involved.

I have come no notice Megan Racing uses very THIN pipes. The welds are not smooth and the inside is poorly put together. Also another thing I just remembered about what I hate about my MR test pipes. Is the O2 bung. The O2 sensor bung is not on the upper inside of the pipe, but rather the lower end. This causes the back of the O2 sensor to point downward. This causes a lot of stress on the wires when they come out of the O2 sensor, and also it makes the O2 sensor sit very low, a few inches lower the the test pipes themself. This means when you go over a speed bump, up a driveway, anything. If you scrape, you're going to be scraping the O2 sensors before you scrape anything else. I would rather scrape my exhaust pipe, where it won't do anything except cosmetic damage, rather than damage my O2 sesnors which are expensive parts.

I am telling everyone all of this not cuz I hate Megan Racing or cuz I get kick backs from any other company. But cuz I went cheap on some parts for my car, and it ended up biting me in the ***. I was unsatisfied with the product I paid money for and I am ended up spending more money on getting something else later. And many people have spent more money from damaging O2 sensors or other things.

Basically, if I could do it all over again, I would get some LaBree's from the start. I'm just passing along this information so people can learn from my mistakes, rather than make them on their own. But some people don't care and some just don't want to listen. So go ahead and do what you want with your car and your money.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
bacalhau16

Thanks, that was a very imformative post. You seem to mention the LaBree's in your posts a lot. I take it you have a set of your own, so do the have less odor then the megan's do and is there a performance difference?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Dubai

Crawford HFC, hands down
Old 02-11-2006, 07:18 AM
billly

anyone have experienc with the aps ones? also what kind of gains will i see form the test pipes any how. I have a borla injen cai, spacer on its way (arriving the 16th according to the fed ex tracking number!).
I'm tending to believe Greddysetgo on this one as I've read on other forums and sies that the quality on the labrees is top notch and has no raspy noise. Greddy thansk for taking the time to give the info appreciate it
Still anyone know anything abouththe APS ones. They usually make a quality product any one try them out? reviews?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

"search is your friend" Type in APS test pipe.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 AM
plumpzz

I have the APS test pipes. Good stuff. I used to have megans but they weren't too good quality. I also think they leaked at the flange. The APS ones are superb. All test pipes will give ub eten 8-15whp.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 AM
GReddySetGO
Banned

Smell is the same, power feels similar too. Don't have any real dyno comparisons so can't really say how much of a diffrence there is between the two.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Axelerate

I can also verify how crappy the T-Pro test pipes are. I had 2 sets and both of them started to rattle inside and sounded horrible.

I ended up getting Ultimate Racing HFC's and I love my car all over again. Great product.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:30 AM
bacalhau16

good to hear. Perhaps the megan product in this case IS that crappy! Not sure if im willing to take the chance anymore!

Quick Reply: What HFC's or test pipes?