Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

KInetix High Flow Cats on Sedan Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:35 AM
SouthernG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KInetix High Flow Cats on Sedan Question

I just purchased the Kinetix highflow cats last week. I left my car at the muffler shop on Saturday. They gave a call and said that they would not fit. They told me that the cats are shorter than my stock cats, and that the bracket that is bolted to them will not bolt back up to Kinetix cats. Has anyone else had this problem? What is that bracket for? I spoke to Kinetix and they said that the muffler shop is wrong and that they would fit. Should I go ahead and have them installed?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 AM
ZinMiami

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They may be speaking about the OEM cat brace/bracket. Most aftermarket cats don't use it. The thinking is that the new cats are much lighter and do not stress the rest of the exhaust as much as the stock cats would.

I am not 100% sold on that philosophy, but my Helix cats don't have them and welding some custom made tabs to use the bracket actually cracked the casing, so I had them removed and had the cats repaired.

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2006, 07:42 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
They may be speaking about the OEM cat brace/bracket. Most aftermarket cats don't use it. The thinking is that the new cats are much lighter and do not stress the rest of the exhaust as much as the stock cats would.

I am not 100% sold on that philosophy, but my Helix cats don't have them and welding some custom made tabs to use the bracket actually cracked the casing, so I had them removed and had the cats repaired.

Good Luck
+1. Look under the car. There is a retainer bracket for each catalytic converter. Leave it off. The high-flow cats are a different length that the OEM cat? I say bologna.