Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Borla TD + Helix Cats = :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:24 AM
ZinMiami

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla TD + Helix Cats = :(

I installed a new Borla TD exhaust this past Friday. Well from all the reviews and comments here I was expecting a sweet sounding exhaust. It's definitely not that!

I don't know if it could be the combo I have with the Helix cats but it does not sound anywhere as good as my old Fujitsubo/Gruppe-S y-pipe setup. On idle it's similar and at low RPM, around 2000, but as I accelerate it has an almost "farty" sound.

My Helix cats have been a disappointment from a fitment perspective among other things so am contemplating getting some Kinetix cats as replacements. Many here seem to have that combo and say it sounds great.

As for performance the butt dyno says yes, even given the fact that I already had a free-flo exhaust. The Borla seems to make the car a little more lively.

No if I can only remedy the sound, I'll be in business.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:10 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

This is why I go and find members close by to hear their set-up.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:45 AM
Zilvia

lol.............
Old 03-13-2006, 09:33 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by Robert_K
This is why I go and find members close by to hear their set-up.
I couldn't find anyone who had it in my area. Obviously that would have been the way to go.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Zilvia

i really dont have a clue to why it would do it. But that Fart Sound is prolly rasp.

check all the clamps and make sure they are tight. Check for any metal on contact. all else fails put the stock cats back on
Old 03-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Beeker

I have the Borla TD with stock cats and Strup headers. I think it sounds great. I would reinstall the stock cats to see if you like that better. If you still don't like it than you know the Borla isn't for you.

Now, if only I can get the passenger side pipe to stop hitting the sway bar. Then I would be happy!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:55 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately no fart kinda noise here. It's like a low rumble. But I did notice that after I installed my Kinetix HFC, some of the low rumbles went away replaced with a roar/growl noise which sounds much more mean(IMO).
Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by Beeker
I have the Borla TD with stock cats and Strup headers. I think it sounds great. I would reinstall the stock cats to see if you like that better. If you still don't like it than you know the Borla isn't for you.

Now, if only I can get the passenger side pipe to stop hitting the sway bar. Then I would be happy!

I have the same issue with the sway bar. Mostly when it is cold and the engine is not as smooth. Once warmed up it is less likely in my case.

Do you have the stock sway? Mine is the Hotchkis so it is thicker I believe.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zinmiami,

Sorry to hear about your dilema...

So your Borla TD sounds like a fart can??? I do notice a difference in sound between true dual setups and setups similar to stock, like the Nismo. IMO, it's a different tone overall and throughout the power band. I guess that's one reason I decided to go with the Nismo... still waiting to install it myself.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your HFCs too...
Did you ever re-install the U-brace and anchor the cats? Mine were fine after slightly modifying the floor board with a rubber mallet, LOL, I had plenty of clearance. I've had my HELIX HFCs on the car for almost a year now and couldn't be happier. I don't get rasp under normal driving conditions, but do get a slight bit of rasp under WOT, but it last about a second so no biggy.

This is what my Z sounds like with headers, Helix HFCs, and the stock exhaust. It's a lame video, but it will give you an idea of what mine sounds like. You only have to watch it half way thru, the rest is fluff...
Click here to see Video

Let me know if you think your old setup sounded similar?

Thanks,
Zquicksilver
Old 03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
Zinmiami,

Sorry to hear about your dilema...

So your Borla TD sounds like a fart can??? I do notice a difference in sound between true dual setups and setups similar to stock, like the Nismo. IMO, it's a different tone overall and throughout the power band. I guess that's one reason I decided to go with the Nismo... still waiting to install it myself.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your HFCs too...
Did you ever re-install the U-brace and anchor the cats? Mine were fine after slightly modifying the floor board with a rubber mallet, LOL, I had plenty of clearance. I've had my HELIX HFCs on the car for almost a year now and couldn't be happier. I don't get rasp under normal driving conditions, but do get a slight bit of rasp under WOT, but it last about a second so no biggy.

This is what my Z sounds like with headers, Helix HFCs, and the stock exhaust. It's a lame video, but it will give you an idea of what mine sounds like. You only have to watch it half way thru, the rest is fluff...
Click here to see Video

Let me know if you think your old setup sounded similar?

Thanks,
Zquicksilver
sounds pretty nice. i'm also thinking of going the route of stock exhaust+headers+hfc
Old 03-19-2006, 10:59 AM
ZinMiami

I am reviving this thread because I have found that the Borla is starting to sound better with time. I never believed in an exhaust needing time to "break in" but it seems this is the case.

I am still going to trade out my troublesome Helix cats for Kinetix cats soon. Everyone seems to remark on that being a great combo for sound and performance.

we'll see.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Hmmm. Odd. My Borla/Crawford cat combo sounds great. Not raspy at all, just nice and aggressive. Over 4k it is awesome.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:32 AM
ZinMiami

ZQuicksilver,

I listened to the video and my Fuji sounded a little deeper/lower/bassy. I guess maybe part of my problem is I already had another aftermarket exhaust, so I keep comparing to the Borla and the Borla is different.

Anyway as I mentioned 2 posts up, the exhaust note seems to be improving with time, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:19 PM
pln2311

Mine sounds great
Old 03-21-2006, 06:42 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
Same here. I just clearanced the floor and the cat body on the driver side and had plenty of clearance on the passenger side. I don't feel I have any rasp and I still love my exhaust sound with the Helix cats and Injen true dual exhaust setup. I just removed my passenger cat to have a bung welded on for my wideband and it is still in great condition and had perfect manifold gasket seal.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:14 PM
ZinMiami

Well I just picked up a pair of Kinetix cats off Ebay for $355 delivered to my door. I guess I'll see how they will sound with the Borla. So many on here have this combo and swear by it.

Hopefully the rattling will be gone. I have adjusted the clearance on the Helix cats a few times and the rattles come back. They are just too big for the space. Helix did not do a good job at all. Maybe they are good internals but they blew the engineering/packaging on these big time.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:25 PM
ZlleH

I just took out my car from it's winter sleep today and oh man did I ever forget how the Borla TD + Kinetix Cats sounded. It is such a beast. There is a permanent smile on my face the whole day today and my co-workers knew from the smile that I took out the car.

I love how the car sounds mean and roars instead of those fart can aftermarket exhausts that you see out there on Hondas. Actually, today I saw and heard a BMW with one of those fart can exhausts, I had to do a double take because I couldn't believe someone wanted to make their BMW sound like an aftermarket exhaust on a Honda.

PS: The cold air does help your exhaust sound more mean. It was -1 C today.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
I was expecting a sweet sounding exhaust.
Members often describe the sound of an exhaust system as..

exotic
OEM like
deep
bosomy
growl
bad ***.

I think its all nonsensical. Two members will listen to the same exhaust: one will say fart can and the other hot. Listen before buying.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:35 PM
KwanZito

Yeah I have to agree with the odd sound of the Borla with certain cat setups. I have the test pipes with my Borla TD, and I really don't care for the sound. It feels nice though so that makes up for it at least. I think I'm also going to try the kinetix high flow cats, I hear they make a big difference.