Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne 5/16 Plenum Spacer: Dyno Before and After

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:11 PM
OCG35Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gsazabi, i took a look at your post history and it looks like you do ineed have a 300HP motor. What that means is that the Spacer alone is no good for you, you have to also buy the MREV. That basically just replaces your 300HP lower plenum with a lower plenum from a 287HP motor.

You can even go a step further and get the MREV+ instead of the MREV. It kinda sucks that Performance Nissan did not let you know the spacer was no good by itself with your motor.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:24 PM
TheLastSpartan

i need to call performance nissan tomorrow...i ordered a spacer last monday but then their server went down? (which concerns me) so they didnt get my order. I called yesterday and they said theyd send it and send me a confirmation e-mail...i figured it would have been shipped today?

and whats this about them taking the gaskets out? this makes me nervous...
Old 04-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

H Kevin,

Looking at your A/F curves says your car is running extremely lean. Even the baseline dyno.

What ever the cause is, its not because of a plenum leak. Any leak big enough to shift your A/F ratio that much (at WOT and near redline) would have to be so large the engine literally couldn't idle.

There must be some other cause driving it up. What was the period of time between your dyno runs? Are there any other variables you know of that could cause a lean condition? Any other changes?

Possible exhaust leak, dirty or refomulated gasoline, other mods?
A spacer alone certaintly can't push it up that much.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:23 PM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by OCG35Coupe
Are you serious?

I was going to buy the spacer from Performance Nissan and have Street Image install it.

I guess i should not even buy it from Performance Nissan then huh.
it turned out that they were removing the gasket MD provided although they claimed they didn't know it was important

but then again, what do you expect them to say - Yea guys, we were trying to drive up our profit margins so we removed gaskets from items in the box. Our bad

Lmao
Old 04-11-2006, 07:27 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCG35Coupe
Hey Gsazabi, i took a look at your post history and it looks like you do ineed have a 300HP motor. What that means is that the Spacer alone is no good for you, you have to also buy the MREV. That basically just replaces your 300HP lower plenum with a lower plenum from a 287HP motor.

You can even go a step further and get the MREV+ instead of the MREV. It kinda sucks that Performance Nissan did not let you know the spacer was no good by itself with your motor.
I have a 05 Z with 287hp motor.
Well I talked to Hydrazine and he will be checking out my car tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:35 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
H Kevin,

Looking at your A/F curves says your car is running extremely lean. Even the baseline dyno.

What ever the cause is, its not because of a plenum leak. Any leak big enough to shift your A/F ratio that much (at WOT and near redline) would have to be so large the engine literally couldn't idle.

There must be some other cause driving it up. What was the period of time between your dyno runs? Are there any other variables you know of that could cause a lean condition? Any other changes?

Possible exhaust leak, dirty or refomulated gasoline, other mods?
A spacer alone certaintly can't push it up that much.
Hydrazine,
There was 5 minute cooling periods between the dyno pulls.
All three pulls showed pretty much the same A/F ratio
The Before dyno is not baseline. It was done with JWT Pop Charger and Nismo Exhaust.
Exhaust leak could be possible..
I'll see you tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:52 AM
gsazabi

Just got back from Tony's pad, and I think we found out just what was
the cause of all this.

First of all, coolant valve was open, causing the the plenum to run hotter.

But the biggest problem we found was that my Pop Charger filter was
WAY over-oiled, and the MAF got a bit dirty/oily.
Tony thought that this could've thrown off my A/F ratio.

Tony quick-cleaned the MAF and I am now cleaning & re-oiling my filter.
The car seemed to run better on the way back home.
I will dyno the car again once everything is cleaned.

Does anyone know how to clean the MAF thoroughly?

BTW, Tony was AWESOME in helping me out and devoting his time.
Can't ask for better customer service than that
Old 04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I want to clear the gasket issue with the spacer kit that was offered by us and Motordyne. Motordyne offered one lower plenum gasket(14033-AM600) to be in use for the spacer and upper plenum. Motordyne did not include a gasket that would replace the existing gasket for the spacer and lower plenum. Performance Nissan being a dealership and installing parts to dealership standards, always replace any type of gaskets during installs, I.E exhaust, headers, cats, etc. This is the reason why we always offered seperate gaskets for purchase on our website, we always recommend changing out gaskets during installs to avoid any possibility of leaks. The spacer kit we were selling included the same gasket as the Motordyne kit but gave an OPTION to the customer to purchase that second gasket as we recommend to do so. Because of the dispute and complaints, we actually went through all of our orders with customers that purchased the spacer kit from us and refunded them the difference of the second gasket due to the fact that people were complaining about the price differences even though it was an option for the customer to select on our website. We took that option off, and now the newer spacer kits have the gaskets intergrated with the spacers on the both sides so no gasket is required. We apologize if there was any confusion.

As far as the install, if there was a problem with the install, please, bring the car back. We stand by our work and if there was a problem with the install, we will take care of it. With this particular situation though, in my professional opinion, there was nothing wrong with the install if the customer did not experience any leaks. All VQ35DE engines will have different AFR readings, some leaner than the rest, they are all not the same. You can install the spacer kit on 2 different stock 350Z's, run them on the same exact dyno and they will both put down different numbers and AFR readings, thats just the way it is. As you all know, the car does need time to learn itself of the new part that was installed to the car, especially after a ECM resetting. Ive reset my ECM numerous times and after each reset, the car felt sluggish for the first 1 or 200 miles, but this is just from my own experience with my own Z. Ive had my car dynoed on a Dynapack as well at Church Automotive and my AFR readings were over 15.1 which I do not believe is accurate due to the fact that if it was, my car would have encountered serious problems by now and at the fact that my car was tuned by Mr.B@Technosquare BEFORE the dyno and set the AFR at 13.8. He did numerous runs with the set AFR and came out consistant. But like I said, if you believe your bad dyno was due to a faulty install, please bring the car back and we will be more than happy to look at it.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:17 PM
gsazabi

Andy@:

Tony double checked the bolts and there was nothing wrong with
the install.
I thought so too before because there wasn't any leak.
Problem might have been Over-oiled filter and dirty MAF.

By any chance do you know how to thoroughly clean the MAF?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by gsazabi
Andy@:

Tony double checked the bolts and there was nothing wrong with
the install.
I thought so too before because there wasn't any leak.
Problem might have been Over-oiled filter and dirty MAF.

By any chance do you know how to thoroughly clean the MAF?
Any chemical based product will be to abrasive for the MAF. I honestly wouldnt recommend cleaning it at all. If your numbers from your dyno really is due to a faulty MAF then, than the MAF itself is probably not operating properly and will need to get replaced.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
it turned out that they were removing the gasket MD provided although they claimed they didn't know it was important
It didn't quite work out that way. Performance Nissan and Motordyne have a mutual business relationship where we supply parts and components to eachother.

I purchased large volumes of gaskets from Performance Nissan for the plenum spacer kits. And a gasket was included in each kit sent out.

But when the plenum spacer kits were supplied to Performance Nissan, rather than Motordyne buying gaskets from Performance Nissan and in turn selling them right back to Performance Nissan, the kits were supplied (in bulk) without the gaskets so that Performance Nissan could include their own gaskets in each kit. The purpose of was to elimate an unnecessary set of transactions that would only complicate paperwork and taxes. (no need to buy something from them only to sell the same gasket right back)

I think the initial miscommunication occured in that they sold the gaskets as an add on instead of automatically including it in the kit. And it wasn't a gouge scheme either because the cost of the spacer kit (at a reduced price) plus a individual gasket added up to the same final price.

It was an effort in streamlining that created a temporary error in getting things set up correctly and uniformly. But its long since fixed now.

BTW this makes a good segway into the latest news!

The latest news is that the Iso Thermal plenum spacers have been improved to a new generation of Iso Thermal. The plenum spacers now come with Iso Thermal gaskets applied to the plenum spacer itself so now the plenum spacer has significantly reduced thermal conductivity. The gaskets are thicker and more compliant than the stock Nissan gaskets for better sealing and less heat transfer. And no more separate gaskets in a kit. The new Iso Thermal gaskets are bonded directly to the spacer.

The new Iso Thermal gaskets will seal even on top of surface irregularities and they can't be bent or folded over on itself like the stock metal gaskets. The new Iso Thermal gaskets also make installation easier because there is no more hassle in trying to get all the holes aligned. Just throw the self sealing spacer in and you're done.

The product line will soon be updated on our website:
1) The Basic plenum spacer is now semi Iso Thermal. (Stage I)
2) The Iso Thermal plenum spacer now runs cooler with the Iso Thermal Plenum gaskets. (Stage II)
3) And the Copper Iso Thermal now also comes with a CCV. (Stage III)

Although the website will soon be updated to show the new generation of spacers, All spacer kits (from Motordyne and its distributors) are now shipping with the latest generation of Iso Thermal!

I will start a new thread describing the new Iso Thermal spacers shortly.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 04-12-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:51 PM
NETSHARK

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
I sitll think it's a problem w/ the install possibly

and i would never trust performance nissan after their stunt with spacer (ooooh, we'll just remove the gasket from all our boxes because i'm certain MD just put it in their for fun )
Got my MD Spacer yesterday from Performance Nissan and i`m gonna install it today, it came with everything i need, it also came with ISO Gaskets they are already pre-cut and installed on the spacer (recived it like this), all i need to do is to install everything on the plenum and follow the instructions correctly, who the hell told you that they come without gaskets ?!!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 AM
NETSHARK

LOL it seems that i`m a little bit outdated :P didn't check page 2 :P, anyway Great work form both of you MotorDyne and Performance Nissan, the best mod i`v purchased so far from the best SHOP

P.S. am gonna installed today and listen to my VQ scream :P
Old 04-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Netshark FYI: When I had my popcharger, 5/16th ISO Spacer, it felt like VTEC. LOL It really opened up at the mid & top rpm range. Once I installed my cat-delete my torque came back.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
dcant2

I purchased HF Cats and the Motordyne 5/16 Plenum Spacer & Iso-Thermal Gasket Kit from Performance Nissan last week. The plenum mod is done and works great. Thanks for working through the website crash.

Just received the HF Cats today(backordered). No instructions (seems straight forward) and no gaskets. Any problem using the old gaskets? Also, no torque values for the new hardware?
Old 04-14-2006, 01:59 PM
NETSHARK

Yesterday i was at my friend`s house we were installing the MD Spacer, theres some bolts holding the lower plenum to the engine, this step is where you install the ISO Thermal Gasket, 2 Bolts broke at 60 lbs on Torque Wrench, we were tightening them at 40 lbs first they were fine but after using the torque wrench with 60 they broke :/ i left the car as its in my friends garage, tomorrow am gonna buy new bolts and i hope the shops opening tomorrow because of holiday

One Question to MotorDyne the instructions says tighten them to 30 then 60 then 90, at 60 they broke, what the hell is gonna happen at 90 !!?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:15 PM
dcant2

Divide by 12. I believe it said in-lbs.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I did the same thing Net... Have to read the fine print... It does say in-lbs LOL
Old 04-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

And its not really fine print.

I put in-lbs in heavy BOLD print because I didn't want people to miss that important point.

If I could make it flash in red lights on the paper, I would do it.

Everyone please read the instructions throughly before starting the installation. It will make installation very easy and pain free.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:51 PM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Everyone please read the instructions throughly before starting the installation. It will make installation very easy and pain free.
pffft, real men don't need instructions

Quick Reply: Motordyne 5/16 Plenum Spacer: Dyno Before and After