Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen CAI or Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert_K
This information is incorrect. CAI or PopCharger or Short Ram intake will produce gains.
No it won't......not on this motor. The stock intake is a CAI. The air source is outside the engine bay. The tube is straight and of the same diameter as the throttle body. it is constructed of a dense plastic that won't conduct heat like a metal tube will. The cross-sectional area of the air filter, likewise, is set up completely perpendicular to the airflow to allow for the greatest cross-sectional area, and therefore, the least resistance to air flow.

Aftermarket CAI's work in some applications to produce even up to 10-12hp gains, but not on a Z. If you claim that they are better, please indicate to me how their design is superior to stock, explain the physics, and I'll listen. Also, "ram air" in a street vehicle is a joke. Tell me how much of an increase in intake air pressure you will get at 100mph? How about 200mph? These are all marketing gimmicks. Do it as a mod for the sake of a mod, but don't kid yourself into thinking you are getting any more power. As I also said, with a combination of ALL other breathing mods, an aftermarket filter may get you an extra 1-2hp.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:45 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by james840a
How do you avoid gettin the filter wet when washing your car?
There is a special water proof bag sold to cover the filter.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Zhane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Intake alone will gain you no horsepower whatsoever over the already great stock intake design. With a full complement of breathing mods, headers & hi flow cats in particular, the intake may get you about 2hp. Injen, Nismo....doesn't make a lick of difference. Infact, a metal flow tube will draw more heat than a plastic one. If you want to do this as a mod for the sake of a mod, that's fine, but don't do it thinking it is really going to give you more performance.
So I take it this is another Marketing Gimmick?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Or this for the PopCharger:
Old 04-26-2006, 10:26 AM
pecora55

It's the aliens!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:46 PM
REDROADSTER350Z

Originally Posted by clipso 01
buy three popchargers instead
this is so true, I was going to buy the Nismo CAI but it was too much money and too much of a hastle to clean (bumper)

I have the JWT and its great - whistle sound and roar of the engine
Old 04-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by Zhane
So I take it this is another Marketing Gimmick?

Did you read what was written at the top of the dyno graph? Let's see......a dyno plot to promote the Injen intake by Injen. Has any independent testing consistently reproduced this data. My questions:

What other engine mods were on the car?

Same car or different cars?

Air temp between tests?

Humidity between tests?

Why a 7 hour difference in time on the dyno?

Tire width on the test cars-same or different if rolling dyno.

Tire brand on the test cars-same or different if rolling dyno.

How many other dyno runs did they do showing no gain before they posted this one showing some gain.

Believe me, I have a strong science and research background and to prove this kind of data consistently, you would have to test about 40-50 otherwise identical cars, stock vs. intake alone, in exactly similar test conditions.
The normal variation in stock engines alone will be on the magnitude of 10hp. Try to convince yourself all you want, but the independent, objective, randomized, statistically significant data just isn't there.

Also, what about the torque? Horsepower is just a calculated number from torque and rpm. Lower overall torque, but at a higher rpm will yield higher hp, but that doesn't mean you'll have a faster car.

Last edited by Speedracer; 04-26-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Speedracer

Or this for the PopCharger:
Yet another dyno plot from, guess who, the manufacturer!!!!! You guys really want to believe that gaining power is so easy. Sorry. All of the power listed in your sig comes from your test pipes. Guaranteed.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Well than look at my dyno graph doofus! Granted there are other mods I asure you the Popcharger helped.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:38 PM
dkmaxitus

check my sig
Old 04-26-2006, 03:59 PM
NIZZMO

I have the Injen sp 1986 and will say I did it as a mod more so for bling factor, and sound .I had the Nismo exhaust with the stock airbox and K&N drop in filter then went with the Injen and noticed some improvement over stock. Im sure it's not going to win any dollar for HP award but I like it.

my 2 cents
Attached Thumbnails Injen CAI or Nismo-100_0042.jpg   Injen CAI or Nismo-picture-026.jpg  
Old 04-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Zhane

Yet another dyno plot from, guess who, the manufacturer!!!!! You guys really want to believe that gaining power is so easy. Sorry. All of the power listed in your sig comes from your test pipes. Guaranteed.
I agree that the manufacturer is going to find anyway they can to modify/change whatever they can to produce better #'s and yes every car is different etc etc.... and I definitely don't think your gaining 10-15hp (Injen) with Just a CAI however to say you get no gains at all IMO is rediculous.... but hey i'm no rocket scientist so what do i know.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:27 PM
JS04

I have the Nismo CAI. I love it. The car defintley felt like it had more pick up, up top. I couldn't really feel a difference until I got around 4500 rpm.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Speedracer

Well than look at my dyno graph doofus! Granted there are other mods I asure you the Popcharger helped.
Your dyno numbers don't show an independent test of the Pop Charger unless I missed something. Also......watch it with the "doofus". You have no clue who you are talking to, do you. Your pulley is getting you a few hp, but it's your plenum mod and test pipes that are gaining you everything else.

Once again, you fail to address the issue of proper testing.

Run your car 10 times with all your other mods and a stock intake. Then run it ten times with the Pop filter and all your other mods under IDENTICAL test conditions. Then look at the data. You present your dyno data but fail to account for any of the huge number of variables that go into the numbers.

Last edited by Speedracer; 04-27-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Your dyno numbers don't show an independent test of the Pop Charger unless I missed something. Also......watch it with the "doofus". You have no clue who you are talking to, do you. Your pulley is getting you a few hp, but it your plenum mod and test pipes that are gaining you everything else.

Once again, you fail to address the issue of proper testing.

Run your car 10 times with all your other mods and a stock intake. Then run it ten times with the Pop filter and all your other mods under IDENTICAL test conditions. Then look at the data.
How but you prove that it doesn't produce gains? And as far as the
Also......watch it with the "doofus". You have no clue who you are talking to, do you.
Stop being an internet thug. Once you prove that it doesn't produce gains than I might think you have some type of automovtive knowledge.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:03 AM
pecora55

Internet thug...love it...
Old 04-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Speedracer

How but you prove that it doesn't produce gains? And as far as the Stop being an internet thug. Once you prove that it doesn't produce gains than I might think you have some type of automovtive knowledge.
Automotive knowledge?! I'm trying to give you objective information, and all you can do is make crack comments. So....how's this:

I've owned and modded 5 cars with up to 600hp. I have two degrees from Harvard in Medicine and Physics. I know more about cars than you do about life.

Sorry for the arrogance, but you were asking for it. Game over as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Speedracer; 04-27-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

:yawn:
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 AM
LATEZ

Talking

Thug life
Old 04-28-2006, 10:34 AM
jeeper78

Are you sure you're going to GAIN at all with CAI?

Quick Reply: Injen CAI or Nismo