Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^Very true.

Unless you get tickets.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:35 PM
jcpeyton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got nismo exhaust and kinetix cats and my car sounds loud to me after about 3K rpm. At first, it was annoying. Then I got used to it and now have really come to like it. Intake mods such as cai and plenum spacers and/or aftermarket plenums add to cabin noise, especially under throttle.
I agree w/ the advice above--live w/ it for a few thousand miles--after that, if you find it intolerable, loose it. Don't be precipitous.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Z350Lover

I would say... Nismo exhaust with any other exhaust bits (besides stock or nismo branded exhaust bits) will be loud... don't really know why.... I reckon my car is damn loud around 2500 to 3500rpm too...

cheers,

richie
Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 PM
gymrat609

After having it installed for a couple of days...I do notice the HP difference....really.

Originally Posted by GMZ
Im super happy with just my Nismo cat-back and Popcharger.Sounds perfect for me. Was the HP bump really noticable? Was thinking of doing the Crawford HFC when I leave Cali.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:57 PM
gymrat609

I'm 50/50 and I appreciate the advice. Maybe I'll give it a few weeks and not give up without giving it a chance first.

Does the sound change with time at all?

Originally Posted by jcpeyton
I've got nismo exhaust and kinetix cats and my car sounds loud to me after about 3K rpm. At first, it was annoying. Then I got used to it and now have really come to like it. Intake mods such as cai and plenum spacers and/or aftermarket plenums add to cabin noise, especially under throttle.
I agree w/ the advice above--live w/ it for a few thousand miles--after that, if you find it intolerable, loose it. Don't be precipitous.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:38 AM
jovasi

Originally Posted by gymrat609
I'm 50/50 and I appreciate the advice. Maybe I'll give it a few weeks and not give up without giving it a chance first.

Does the sound change with time at all?
It will definitely mellow out a bit with some miles on it. I have this set up as well & thought it was loud at first, but you will get used to it. I have had mine for about a year now & it is not quite as loud. It still sounds mean as hell though.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:04 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jovasi
It will definitely mellow out a bit with some miles on it. I have this set up as well & thought it was loud at first, but you will get used to it. I have had mine for about a year now & it is not quite as loud. It still sounds mean as hell though.
Haha, maybe you're just going deff! Or got used to it; I doubt it got quieter. My Nismo exhaust was pretty quiet when new, but loosened up and got a bit louder with some miles. It drones a bit on the highway, but anly a little; not bad at all. I certainly wouldn't want it any louder.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Art Vandaleigh

I put on the same setup (crawford HFC's and nismo) a few weeks ago. I must say it has its ups and downs. First this combo of parts had a few annoying fitment issues when i installed them. The drivers side catalytic ended up being only a few mm away from the heat shield, so it made contact during turns or hard accel. This was somewhat fixed by grinding away part of the heat shield on the actual catalytic, it still is a very close fit. Also the nismo will make contact with the rear V brace under the mid-pipe. You will need to put at least 3-4 washers on each bolt of the V brace to lower the clearance.

Power wise the combo has a nice punch over stock, which can especially be felt in 3rd gear and up on the highway... it explodes after 4k rpm Sound is louder than i wanted though, because these cats are almost like test pipes. WOT it sounds amazing, but between 2-3.5k rpm it is rather loud and almost raspy. This is unfortunate because this range of rpm's is the cruising range for most gears, and on the highway it drones rather loudly. I may be going back to my stock cats sometime soon because of the excessive highway noise.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 AM
gymrat609

I just made a deal to sell mine over the weekend. I wholeheartedly agree with you in regards to the sound in certain RPM ranges. WOT it screams and sounds great, but between 2,500-3,500 RPM it drives me nuts. I think I'll really like the Nismo exhaust by itself. It's too bad there aren't any other Cats that will be a little more tame, but then again, if they're not loud, they're probably not doing their job.

Originally Posted by Art Vandaleigh
I put on the same setup (crawford HFC's and nismo) a few weeks ago. I must say it has its ups and downs. First this combo of parts had a few annoying fitment issues when i installed them. The drivers side catalytic ended up being only a few mm away from the heat shield, so it made contact during turns or hard accel. This was somewhat fixed by grinding away part of the heat shield on the actual catalytic, it still is a very close fit. Also the nismo will make contact with the rear V brace under the mid-pipe. You will need to put at least 3-4 washers on each bolt of the V brace to lower the clearance.

Power wise the combo has a nice punch over stock, which can especially be felt in 3rd gear and up on the highway... it explodes after 4k rpm Sound is louder than i wanted though, because these cats are almost like test pipes. WOT it sounds amazing, but between 2-3.5k rpm it is rather loud and almost raspy. This is unfortunate because this range of rpm's is the cruising range for most gears, and on the highway it drones rather loudly. I may be going back to my stock cats sometime soon because of the excessive highway noise.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:58 AM
super_fla

read this thread plz

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/109444-exhaust-sound-tests-oem-vs-high-flow-cats.html
Old 05-09-2006, 01:37 AM
350Z_LMS

great thread...I started this one not too long ago on this very same topic.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=drone

The noise level is definitely down to THIS combo, ie it's the HFCs doing the noise (and the HP... and the install issues)
Old 05-09-2006, 04:09 AM
cox

This combo is loud on highway speed (about 130-140 km/h).... but i can live with it....
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 AM
gymrat609

Super_fla:

Thanks for reinsuring my decision. My mechanice was a little skeptical that removing the cats would make that much difference. After reading so much feedback on this issue (thanks everyone) I knew it had to be the combination and that the cats werer responsible for so much vibrating and intrusive highway noise.

Originally Posted by super_fla
Old 05-09-2006, 06:08 AM
jovasi

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Haha, maybe you're just going deff! Or got used to it; I doubt it got quieter. My Nismo exhaust was pretty quiet when new, but loosened up and got a bit louder with some miles. It drones a bit on the highway, but anly a little; not bad at all. I certainly wouldn't want it any louder.
Maybe I am going deaf . I really do believe it got a little quiter from when I put it on, but who knows, that was over a year ago so it's hard to remember. I used to get a lot of droan around 2500-3000 rpm's, but it is almost completely gone now. I also had the issue w/ the exhaust hitting the cross member. I also fixed that problem with a few washers. I never had the problem with the cats hitting the heat shield though.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
gymrat609

Well, they cam off today and I am very happy with the sound of the Nismo exhaust with the stock cats. I will miss the oomph at high rpm, but the sound is exactly what I was looking to hear. Now, I wish I could find a way to get that power back while keeping the Nismo exhaust note and dB level.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Anybody in the Los Angeles area is more than welcome to come by and hear my car. I also have the Nismo exhaust with Crawford cats. I definitely like the sound of the cats, it gives the conservative Nismo exhaust note a more aggressive one, especially with headers. My Nismo exhaust does not sound like a normal Nismo exhaust, trust me. We also have both items in stock!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 AM
Art Vandaleigh

I always wondered how the Nismo catalytics would perform and sound, its too bad they arent sold here and cost upwards of a grand. I'm willing to bet they have perfect fitment though, and arent overly loud. Andy, can you get these from japan?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:03 AM
cox

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Anybody in the Los Angeles area is more than welcome to come by and hear my car. I also have the Nismo exhaust with Crawford cats. I definitely like the sound of the cats, it gives the conservative Nismo exhaust note a more aggressive one, especially with headers. My Nismo exhaust does not sound like a normal Nismo exhaust, trust me. We also have both items in stock!

Hi Andy... i have a Z rev up and i installed strup headers, crawford cats and Nismoi exhaust... but i have a problem .... a strange vibration around 1.300/1.400 rpm... Do you have it?
Can you tell me something about the origin of this vibration?
Thanx in advance..
P.s. i love the sound of my set up
Old 05-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have coated Nismo headers, stock cats, and Nismo cat-back. Sound is no louder whatsoever than with the cat-back alone. In fact, I feel it is a little deeper, but a little quieter overall with the headers than without. Power from the headers is very readily apparent. Not a cheap mod, but if you are staying NA, and are concerned about sound, headers with stock cats is a good way to go.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Art Vandaleigh - Yes we can get the Nismo cats but it will take about 90 days and the cost of them dont justify the wait, if you are ready to spend more than a grand on cats then shoot me a PM and I can work a pricing out for you. I had the same issues as you did, the drive side cat was rubbing against the heat shield during heavy load but this was easily fixed with a few bends in the cat as well as the heat shield. I also had the same problem with the mid pipe making contact with the M brace, obviously this was an easy fix.

*** - Check out my reply to Art above, this may be what you are experiencing. More than likely it is with the midpipe. You can alleviate this problem by putting shims or spacers in the M brace.

I think for guys like myself who plan to stay NA, modifying the stock catalyzer would be a must to gain every pony you can. The stock cats are a huge bottle neck in the stock exhaust system and modifying it with higher flowing cats or test pipes will definitely help exhaust flow and allow the engine to breathe better.

Quick Reply: Installed Crawford Cats and Nismo Exhaust