Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

X pipe or H pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
flipmoder7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The magnaflow muffler is 2.25 in and out. Isn't the injen piping 2"? I didn't see any 2" muffler from magnaflow of the same type.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
lowrider

If you don't want to spend the cash for the Magnaflow "X". Use an "H". I put one on my Invidia G200. More on the low end, and it smoothed out the idle a lot. Outside it sounded like two three cylinder engines, now it sounds like an exotic. Also, at idle in the car, the idle was kind of lumpy, the "H" smoothed that right out.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails X pipe or H pipe?-h-pipe0.jpg  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Jackhammer1979

Originally Posted by lowrider
If you don't want to spend the cash for the Magnaflow "X". Use an "H". I put one on my Invidia G200. More on the low end, and it smoothed out the idle a lot. Outside it sounded like two three cylinder engines, now it sounds like an exotic. Also, at idle in the car, the idle was kind of lumpy, the "H" smoothed that right out.

Lou
The X-pipe could be welded in custom just as well, just that Magnaflow has one pre-fab'd in a nice little muffler. The benefits of an H or X pipe are very similar but the X pipe set up gives a smoother transition over the H based on the test for the Vette. The size of the engine isnt going to matter so the comparison for the Z to the Vette should be pretty right on. An H pipe is definately better than nothing at all and an X pipe it seems gives a little more added benefit over the H set up due to the flow factor with the X design.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 PM
plumpzz

the Z would benafit more cuz of the firing order. from one bank to the other, while the vette only fires twice one bank to the other.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Jackhammer1979

Originally Posted by plumpzz
the Z would benafit more cuz of the firing order. from one bank to the other, while the vette only fires twice one bank to the other.
+1 X
Old 05-12-2006, 06:38 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once i get this X pipe from Magnaflow installed i will do a dyno to see what if anything it adds to my INJEN exhaust. I assume it will help with performance some. But mostly i want to get rid of the rasp that is related to haveing no cats on the car. The performance will be a added bonus

Later
Aceman
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Another link i found with good ole Google

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/xpipes.html

Also a link to some dynos

http://pypesexhaust.com/dynotests.html

Looking forward to having it installed.

Later
Aceman
Old 05-12-2006, 07:32 PM
ZinMiami

I think this may work for a Borla setup by replacing the h-pipe. What do you guys think?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02xypipes.asp
Old 05-13-2006, 06:31 AM
lowrider

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
I think this may work for a Borla setup by replacing the h-pipe. What do you guys think?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02xypipes.asp
The Borla is an anomaly. While it is advertised as a True Dual, it really isn't. It was one of the first 3rd party exhausts released for the "Z" and the "G", and is still extremely popular. When first announced however, Borla touted that it had an "X" type muffler. So each bank is mixed at the "H" and again in the muffler. I don't know if an "X" close to the engine would help an exhaust like that at all. All the other dual systems, that I am aware of, are in fact real duals. HKS, Invidia, Injen, Stillen and etc. The Borla is not.

Lou
Old 05-13-2006, 11:03 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by lowrider
The Borla is an anomaly. While it is advertised as a True Dual, it really isn't. It was one of the first 3rd party exhausts released for the "Z" and the "G", and is still extremely popular. When first announced however, Borla touted that it had an "X" type muffler. So each bank is mixed at the "H" and again in the muffler. I don't know if an "X" close to the engine would help an exhaust like that at all. All the other dual systems, that I am aware of, are in fact real duals. HKS, Invidia, Injen, Stillen and etc. The Borla is not.

Lou
Good info. I didn't know the X-muffler part.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Zincognito

learn something new. I want to hear what the SRV exhaust sounds like. i think i want to get one....we will see.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 AM
plumpzz

I should be getting it soon. Scott has been busy but has promised it to me soon. When it gets here i'll install it, post some pics, definatley some video and sound clips and maybe a dyno.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:55 AM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by Strife350z
Yes, that's exactly what i did, and exactly the muffler i went with.

I got the polished one though for bling

It fits like a glove if you simply slot it into the original location of the injen resonators
As asked earlier, would doing something like this cut down on the raspy sound that many experience with the Injen SES and test pipes? I want to go with test pipes again, but I just can not stand the raspy sound. its too loud for me and it sounds too much like a riced out Civic. Do you have any before and after sounds clips of this?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:08 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
As asked earlier, would doing something like this cut down on the raspy sound that many experience with the Injen SES and test pipes? I want to go with test pipes again, but I just can not stand the raspy sound. its too loud for me and it sounds too much like a riced out Civic. Do you have any before and after sounds clips of this?
I will let you know, i should have it installed with in the next two weeks. Getting rid of the rasp is the main reason why i want to add the x pipe.

Later
Aceman
Old 05-15-2006, 09:15 AM
plumpzz

From what i understand, an X pipe will eliminate rasp. It would also help to have resonated test pipes. But my friend w/ a V8 had rasp until he put his X pipe on (he has long tube headers). AFter that it was a very nice sound. Bigg difference.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:39 PM
zachcrosen

Thanks Aceman. I definitely want the added power of test pipes or HFCs, but not at the expense of sounding like a ricer!! I am also looking at adding a wastegate to my supercharged setup and would also like to see more power and I think the test pipes would greatly help. Just keep us all informed!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Well the X-pipe was installed today, and the dyno should follow later this week ( I hope ).

First impression, louder and deeper, not for everyone. Performance wise, feels stronger up top, i would say from 4500rpm up. And i did a before and after set of my MPG guage. I was getting around 18mpg and now after the X-pipe its up to 20mpg, keep in mind this is me driving like a nut

I will let you know the dyno numbers later this week. This dyno compared to last, the only thing that has changed is this X-pipe. SO if it makes gains i will know.

I got my pipes crossed, wish me luck

Later
Aceman
Old 05-23-2006, 12:08 PM
plumpzz

Noice. Did you have any rasp before? I want to know if it went away after you put the X pipe in. What kind of X pipe did you end up using? Magnaflow ro custom? Whats the diameter of the X pipe at the center?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:10 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aceman
Well the X-pipe was installed today, and the dyno should follow later this week ( I hope ).

First impression, louder and deeper, not for everyone. Performance wise, feels stronger up top, i would say from 4500rpm up. And i did a before and after set of my MPG guage. I was getting around 18mpg and now after the X-pipe its up to 20mpg, keep in mind this is me driving like a nut

I will let you know the dyno numbers later this week. This dyno compared to last, the only thing that has changed is this X-pipe. SO if it makes gains i will know.

I got my pipes crossed, wish me luck

Later
Aceman
Thanks for the follow-up. More loud? Jeez my exhaust is loud enough as is.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:30 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Noice. Did you have any rasp before? I want to know if it went away after you put the X pipe in. What kind of X pipe did you end up using? Magnaflow ro custom? Whats the diameter of the X pipe at the center?
I did have rasp before and thats due to having no Cats. There is still some rasp, but its not as bad. Its a deeper rasp lol. I had a custom X-pipe made out of 2 inch pipe. I will have to take pics of it. Forgot my camera this morning.

But if you picture two pipes connected like this

)( and welded together with holes connecting them at the welds.

Later
Aceman

Quick Reply: X pipe or H pipe?