Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Lower Plenum Porting Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 AM
MurphysZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by key
Something else that I find interesting is that the runners on these intakes are right next to each other, with regards to the air horns. It seems that a runner could be taking air from the one next to it, and then visa-versa when the other runner begins to draw in air.

Do you have any pictures of the intake hat (upper plenum).
The inside of the upper plenum has just been sanded down but not to the point of getting ready to polish it or anything. There is to much backing up the fact that the inside of the upper and lower should not be polished because of the way it effects air flow. As for the runners being next to each other.....I don't have an answer for you but, I would think that with the opening in fron of the runners and the space the upper plenum gives it, it would take a lot for them to take air from one another. The runners are really thick as you can see in the pic from what I cut off. I don't know why but it wont matter once I port them.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:56 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good Murphy

I thought about doing the same thing. I have another plenum on order to try a few more things with.

Im just glad we are helping each other out in the learning process. I know i am having fun messing around with porting the plenum out

Looking forward to the results

Later
Aceman
Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not seeing the pics...

And +1 to what aceman said.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You going to try and head down to AAM to hit the dyno Murphy?

And how does the car feel?

Later
Aceman
Old 05-24-2006, 10:01 AM
MurphysZ

I'm going to JE Performance next Wednesday for a dyno tune. I ported the upper Plenum and throddle body last night. Here are a few pics. I need to port the lower plenum this weekend, I cought something in my eye and scratched my lens I'll be sitting in the dark for the next day or so.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0173.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0174.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0175.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0176.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0178.jpg  

Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
MurphysZ

A few more...
Attached Thumbnails Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0177.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0179.jpg  
Old 05-24-2006, 04:49 PM
aleok

looking good, what ru using to do that?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:51 PM
MurphysZ

Hacksaw for the cuts, file, dremel and a 3 inch flap wheel
Old 05-24-2006, 05:56 PM
aleok

damnit, i'm using a dremel too and i keep getting little divits and lines. how do u do it so smoothly?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:53 PM
MurphysZ

What part are you getting divits on? what are you using on the dremel?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:57 PM
MurphysZ

.....I hope you are not trying to use a dremel to do the top.. If you are, stop and go get a 3 inch sandpaper flap wheel. I think the one I used was 60 grit, and it was from Black and Decker. I only used a dremel to smooth the cuts down after I took a metal file to them if the flap wheel couldn't get it. They also have dremel flap wheels, get a few of those too.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Zincognito

looks freaking sweet!!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:40 AM
aleok

thanks murphy, whats a 3" in sandpaper flap wheel? link? i use the highspeed stainless steel cutter, 60 grit and 120 grit sanders with the dremel. i'm using that and going over it by hand (which takes forever and it kills my fingers).
Old 05-25-2006, 09:18 AM
MurphysZ

Here is a web site that sells them but I bought mine at Home Depot. It's just like a Dremel flap wheel but larger. I did not do any hand sanding on the lower plenum.

http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.co...-diameter.html
Old 05-25-2006, 04:34 PM
aleok

o i get it, so can this attach to the dremel? or what? and do they were down fast? so i need a lot?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:15 PM
MurphysZ

Actually, it attaches to a drill. You should only need one but, I would say getting 2 or 3 wouldn't be a bad idea. This will only help you with the top and the bowls. Start with the bowls, as the flap wheel wears down, it gets harder to get in there. The 3 inch flap wheels are also great to bore out the intake tube on the plenum. I wear glasses but, I wasn't wearing saftey goggles and something really cought me in the eye. I scratched the lens pretty badly and been dealing with a runny eye for the past 2 days....important lesson here guys. I'm getting goggles or a shield tomorrow, Friday afternoon and Saturday I will have it back off the car to take it down more and bore the runners out the best I can. Then on Wednesday it gets Dyno Tuned. I'll post more pics of what I do on Saturday night or Sunday.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:23 PM
aleok

thanks Murphy i got the flap wheel and it work well to smooth everything out (a lot better and faster then by hand). but its not super effective when it comes to gridding all the "OEM" divits. i also don't know how i would be able to use it to bore out each runner. unless they make small maybe 1" ones, which i couldn't find at Sears. any advice?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 AM
johnlotusboy

That stuff you got in your eye is aluminum shavings and they are almost invisible to an eye doctor, but they scrap them off your eye. The little chunks are bad. My Dad used a skilsaw to saw sheet aluminum and had this problem several times. And if they were steel slivers (which they are not) it's much less painful since they use a magnet to pull steel debris. Other stupid lesson I learned from my dad and didn't repeat myself in over 40yrs.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:28 AM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by aleok
thanks Murphy i got the flap wheel and it work well to smooth everything out (a lot better and faster then by hand). but its not super effective when it comes to gridding all the "OEM" divits. i also don't know how i would be able to use it to bore out each runner. unless they make small maybe 1" ones, which i couldn't find at Sears. any advice?
I'm going to be working on the runners today, they are really thick so I'll have to see what works best when I try it. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:34 AM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by johnlotusboy
That stuff you got in your eye is aluminum shavings and they are almost invisible to an eye doctor, but they scrap them off your eye. The little chunks are bad. My Dad used a skilsaw to saw sheet aluminum and had this problem several times. And if they were steel slivers (which they are not) it's much less painful since they use a magnet to pull steel debris. Other stupid lesson I learned from my dad and didn't repeat myself in over 40yrs.
I've always worn glasses so even in shop class in high school, I didn't wear saftey goggles. The glasses I have now are much smaller and something flew up from the bottom and cought me. I will never go without them again. I couldn't drive, wind or even slight breezes caused tears. 3 days of that hell was enough for me. Today it feels much better and it's time to get back to work on the plenum with a shield or goggles!

Quick Reply: Lower Plenum Porting Question?