Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Lower Plenum Porting Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 AM
aleok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphysZ
I'm going to be working on the runners today, they are really thick so I'll have to see what works best when I try it. I'll keep you posted.
thanks, good to hear that ur eyes better
Old 05-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the first pic where the tops of the runners were cut off... that is like the super taiku lower plenum (not available for sale)... you loose all your botom end but will scream power from 6000-8000 RPM...

it changes the power band like the 05-06 REV-UP lower plenum,

but, many people view this as a "Bad" thing because you loose low end power and move the power band to higher RPM's where most people do not get in city driving...

im for the high RPM power!
Old 05-27-2006, 06:34 PM
MurphysZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
the first pic where the tops of the runners were cut off... that is like the super taiku lower plenum (not available for sale)... you loose all your botom end but will scream power from 6000-8000 RPM...

it changes the power band like the 05-06 REV-UP lower plenum,

but, many people view this as a "Bad" thing because you loose low end power and move the power band to higher RPM's where most people do not get in city driving...

im for the high RPM power!
This is exactly what happened. Momo 350Z, another member sat in the car and rev'ed the engine, he has Nismo cam and said his doesn't jump the way this does after 4000 rpms.

My arms are shot, here are the latest photos. I think I'm done......until I get another idea. I'll tell you now, I shaved off enough metal to = a plenum spacer, easily. I bored out the ports a lot too, all the way down. I must have added 1/4 inch on each side. Inside where where the air turns to go down, I shaved a lot off. Look at the runners, I have them damn near flat. There is no restriction anymore!!! I had it out on a test run, it pulls like it never did before. Sun Hyper Force gets installed tomorrow and Dyno tuning on Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0180.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0181.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0182.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0183.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0184.jpg  

Old 05-27-2006, 06:36 PM
MurphysZ

Attached Thumbnails Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0185.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0186.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0187.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0188.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0190.jpg  

Old 05-27-2006, 06:46 PM
MurphysZ

Attached Thumbnails Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0191.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0192.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0193.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0194.jpg   Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0195.jpg  

Old 05-28-2006, 06:13 PM
aleok

wow that looks like a lot work, good job. what did u use to get inside the runners? my dremel isn't exactly the perfect tool for it.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:22 PM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by aleok
wow that looks like a lot work, good job. what did u use to get inside the runners? my dremel isn't exactly the perfect tool for it.
You mentioned you went to Sears to get your flapwheel, I went to Sears and they have more than Home Depot for this. Get those drum sanders you see in the pic and they also have a 6" extension bit for a drill. It will get you everywere you need to get in the runners. Make sure to buy a bag of the sanding pads.....you will need them, they don't last long but they remove stock quickly!

On another note, I have to say I am really impressed with this Dewalt Drill I have. I got it new and as you can see it has done some work. I thought I would have cooked that thing by now. Seriously, it's been through hours of full speed non stop spinning both to sand and polish the upper plenum, radiator shield, and lower plenum. Next time you are looking for a drill, by a Dewalt!
Attached Thumbnails Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0181.jpg  

Last edited by MurphysZ; 05-28-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:25 PM
MurphysZ

The drums are what I used to get inbetween the tops of the runners as shown here.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Plenum Porting Question?-dscn0186.jpg  
Old 05-29-2006, 12:24 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Looking good Murphy.

Just need to get it on a dyno and have it tuned. Also get that redline raised to 7100rpm.

Later
Aceman
Old 05-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

now you have it looking like a rev-up plenum (my personaly favorite)...

the above is the stock 287 plenum, and then the 300HP rev up plenum...

there are a few people on this forum who have done high rpm motor buildups and really made use of the Rev-UP plenum up to 7500 RPM or higher.. where it makes its power... once you are going all the way up there, you dont go much lower then 4500-5000 RPM when shifting... so Drag Racing and track driving, your in the higher RPM's more.. making use of that extra power up top... down low wont matter any more...
Old 05-29-2006, 01:51 PM
StarcraftBW

^^^most of the street races begin at 40-55mph rolling......which it's about 5-6k RPM (2nd gear)......
Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 AM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
now you have it looking like a rev-up plenum (my personaly favorite)...

the above is the stock 287 plenum, and then the 300HP rev up plenum...

there are a few people on this forum who have done high rpm motor buildups and really made use of the Rev-UP plenum up to 7500 RPM or higher.. where it makes its power... once you are going all the way up there, you dont go much lower then 4500-5000 RPM when shifting... so Drag Racing and track driving, your in the higher RPM's more.. making use of that extra power up top... down low wont matter any more...
I honestly didn't know that was what they looked like. That's the first one I've seen and mine does look very similar. Hopefully boring out the ports from top to bottom and smoothing out the turns in the runners helped out a little more. I can't see the openings on them but mine should be larger and not as blocky. There is a lot of metal on the tops of the runners that I shaved off. If I see positive enough results, I may send the lower plenum and intake manifold to a machine shop to be ported and matched.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:57 AM
MurphysZ

....looking at it again, the runners look shorter. It's hard to tell because of the lumps that nissan seems to do in the castings. Can you get a measurement from the center of the bowl wall to the front of the middle runner?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:22 PM
ATL_Red_G35

good work murphy. Now, are you going to Portmatch your IM as well?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
good work murphy. Now, are you going to Portmatch your IM as well?
That might be the next step as long as I see positive results from what I have done. I'm staying N/A and I believe these cars need more air.

As long as everything goes well on the dyno, the upcoming mods, in no certain order are, port matching the lower plenum and intake manifold, Crawford/Nismo/Strup headers, 85mm or 90mm MAF housing, UTEC or e-Manage Ultimate, boring out my throddle body.....and hood dampeners! Then it's on to the heads.

I just got a message from the performance shop, the Dyno tuning has been rescheduled for Friday
Old 05-30-2006, 02:53 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Im basically going to try the same thing Murphy

Right now i have the ported Throttle body and the Headers. Going to try and get a larger MAF housing and port and polish my heads with the addition of some cams.

Good stuff going on. Maybe one of these days you will see someone with a NA 350z with SAE corrected 300hp+ dyno numbers. I guess time will tell.

Later
Aceman

That might be the next step as long as I see positive results from what I have done. I'm staying N/A and I believe these cars need more air.

As long as everything goes well on the dyno, the upcoming mods, in no certain order are, port matching the lower plenum and intake manifold, Crawford/Nismo/Strup headers, 85mm or 90mm MAF housing, UTEC or e-Manage Ultimate, boring out my throddle body.....and hood dampeners! Then it's on to the heads.

I just got a message from the performance shop, the Dyno tuning has been rescheduled for Friday
Old 05-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

....looking at it again, the runners look shorter. It's hard to tell because of the lumps that nissan seems to do in the castings. Can you get a measurement from the center of the bowl wall to the front of the middle runner?
yes the runners are much shorter..

the 300HP Rev-UP plenum is $222 for the brand new part... Id try that before sending anything to a machine shop...

plus, you can find people selling them or willing to trade for your 287 lower plenum because some people want the low end torque the 287 plenum adds on the 300HP REV UP motors... they loose high end of course... but, oh well...
The following users liked this post:
JunierPhillips (07-22-2024)
Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 PM
chuckie311

any news on your dyno

Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
MurphysZ

242 hp and 224 torque, I'll get it scanned and posted tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2024, 07:25 AM
JunierPhillips

I am trying it in my Z because I am a track weekend warrior. I think is a great Idea and the cheapeast

Quick Reply: Lower Plenum Porting Question?