Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix ssv VS MD Spacer shoot out

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:52 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be nice to see a level and unbiased test of these plenum mods.

Just from my own observation, it is interesting WHY the SSV causes rich conditions on an untuned car. Here are just two theories of mine, (which may be totally false or stupid) :::

1) The manifold simply doesn't flow as well as the stock or altered stock lower plenum. From the view of the internal "velocity stacks" on the manifold, I'm not too enthusiastic about the design. They are knife edged and would only seem to cause turbulence at a 90 degree entry. In this case, you will actually lose power.

OR

2) Because of the longer intake runners and knife edged velocity stacks, the air is travelling through the intake tract/manifold takes longer to reach the combustion chamber. Thus, the engine on the old tune is still adding fuel with expectation of added airflow at earlier RPMs, causing a rich condition. Of course, if this were the case then you'd be making power slightly later, and could still theoretically gain power on the top end.

I'm not sure of the actual VOLUME of the manifold in comparison to a stock, stock/spacer, or upper aftermarket plenum setup. Has anyone actually noticed a change in boost pressure when installing one of these on an FI setup?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:56 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by John@Victory
i would like to see where it was shown to not gain power and even lose power.... my trap speeds on my street went up 4mph verses the v+

my street is 1/2 mile long in the straight (2 mile long country road) and the best i could get on the factory intake was 119 before braking. with the v+ was 128 before braking and with the ssv 132 before braking

this is n/a with no spray....

show me proof that it loses power or does nothing...as i have all the proof i need that it does make great gains.

dynos can be made to show anything one way or the other...but trap speeds dont lie

That may be proof enough for you... But, perhaps if you noticed an increase in trap speeds at an actual 1/4mi or 1/8mi compulink timed track it would mean a bit more to the rest of us. Besides, there are many factors that are involved in a trap speed. Running down a country road on different days, at different times of the year, is hardly going to give us a good indication as to the gains you've experienced.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:01 PM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by taurran

That may be proof enough for you... But, perhaps if you noticed an increase in trap speeds at an actual 1/4mi or 1/8mi compulink timed track it would mean a bit more to the rest of us. Besides, there are many factors that are involved in a trap speed. Running down a country road on different days, at different times of the year, is hardly going to give us a good indication as to the gains you've experienced.

but you will believe a dyno that means absolutely nothing? i can put the exact car on 2 different dynos and get as high as a 30 hp difference between the two....

hell you can mak 3 passes on the same dyno with nothing changed except the time it takes the car to cool down. and you will have a 20 hp variation... would you like to see one of those dynos?

only thing the dyno is good for is tuning to get the a/f ratio throughout the run optimal

you guys with your "dyno proof" are hilarious
Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM
John@Victory

Running down a country road on different days, at different times of the year, is hardly going to give us a good indication as to the gains you've experienced.

seems being i run down that same road over 1000 times a year for the past 7 years i think i know a little about variance i speed with conditions...

yall read your dynos and use those as your proof... i know for a fact other wise with a n/a car..... now f/i, well i couldnt tell you
Old 07-25-2006, 06:24 PM
taurran

but you will believe a dyno that means absolutely nothing? i can put the exact car on 2 different dynos and get as high as a 30 hp difference between the two....

hell you can mak 3 passes on the same dyno with nothing changed except the time it takes the car to cool down. and you will have a 20 hp variation... would you like to see one of those dynos?

only thing the dyno is good for is tuning to get the a/f ratio throughout the run optimal

you guys with your "dyno proof" are hilarious

So you're saying that 3 dyno runs, a few hours cooldown for an install, and 3 more on the same dyno is less accurate than running down some country road with months inbetween?

Wow... please do us all a favor and step back into reality.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:30 PM
John@Victory

So you're saying that 3 dyno runs, a few hours cooldown for an install, and 3 more on the same dyno is less accurate than running down some country road with months inbetween?

why dont you quit trying to manipulate my words... when i add mods i travel up and down the road several times... not to mention i travel the same road several times a day *******...

take your 90 degree velocity and high boost presures and knife edging and stick it up your ***... hows that for reality?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 PM
taurran

why dont you quit trying to manipulate my words... when i add mods i travel up and down the road several times... not to mention i travel the same road several times a day *******...

take your 90 degree velocity and high boost presures and knife edging and stick it up your ***... hows that for reality?
Well, that IS how you were attempting to rationalize your train of thought.

but you will believe a dyno that means absolutely nothing?
my street is 1/2 mile long in the straight (2 mile long country road) and the best i could get on the factory intake was 119 before braking. with the v+ was 128 before braking and with the ssv 132 before braking
You aren't even talking about "trap speed" here, just timing yourself driving down a local road and timing yourself. Maybe it'll hold weight if you were at an organized track with a compulink system installed with a timeslip.

But anyway, I think this is hardly evolving into a discussion behooving a sponsor of this site. Perhaps you should consider that.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:51 PM
John@Victory

and what im saying is the dyno can be manipulated to say anything....but you guys keep saying its been proven this and its been proven that.....

WHERES THE PROOF?

you want my freaking dynos? they show 6 runs 224 239 and 242.... and then 3 more with the ssv showing 237 248 and 264

but i know your next arguement... different dyno and different days.... well actually it was on the same dymo and same time of the season but a 1 year gap.... thats why i never posted mine

ive also run at the track you want those times? im trapping 3 mph higher than i was... if you do a search you will see my times i have posted.... but again you will use the excuse of different days... so its a no win arguement with you guys...

the ones of us that have the plenum know different

Last edited by John@Victory; 07-25-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:56 PM
John@Victory

Well, that IS how you were attempting to rationalize your train of thought.

You aren't even talking about "trap speed" here, just timing yourself driving down a local road and timing yourself. .

you want me to take pics of the paint from the start finish the 1/8 the 1/4 and the 1/2 mile marks? all the local guys run that section of my street on the weekend street racing...

its how i test all my mods...
Old 07-25-2006, 07:04 PM
taurran

and what im saying is the dyno can be manipulated to say anything....but you guys keep saying its been proven this and its been proven that.....
Tell me something I don't know. (rhetorical) You think I don't know this?

WHERES THE PROOF? you want my freaking dynos? they show 6 runs 224 239 and 242.... and then 3 more with the ssv showing 237 248 and 264
Well, those gains tell me that its no better investment (performance wise) than a plenum spacer. I'm still interested in the OP's findings, however.

but i know your next arguement... different dyno and different days.... well actually it was on the same dymo and same time of the season but a 1 year gap.... thats why i never posted mine
I never asked you for proof. I came here to see the results of the OP's test. Your response about "trap speeds" on your backwoods road was, well, comical at best.

ive also run at the track you want those times? im trapping 3 mph higher than i was... if you do a search you will see my times i have posted.... but again you will use the excuse of different days... so its a no win arguement with you guys...
Well, being that you are so in the know, you should understand that there are far more factors that may cause variances in trap speed. Not only does the environment change possible trap speed, but also things as simple as traction, and the overall diameter of your rear wheels/tires...

the ones of us that have the plenum know different
Thats fine. As long as you don't percieve that you have anything to prove to me then there is no problem. I want to see the OP's findings based on his test.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:07 PM
John@Victory

Well, those gains tell me that its no better investment (performance wise) than a plenum spacer. I'm still interested in the OP's findings, however.

that was as compared to the kinetix v+

not stock
Old 07-25-2006, 07:22 PM
taurran

that was as compared to the kinetix v+

not stock
Well, that's great and all, but I'm still interested in seeing a test in a controlled, unbiased environment. That was the purpose of this thread, perhaps we should get back to it and stop arguing about the details...
Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, being that you are so in the know, you should understand that there are far more factors that may cause variances in trap speed. Not only does the environment change possible trap speed, but also things as simple as traction, and the overall diameter of your rear wheels/tires...
What does the overall diameter of the rear wheels + tires result in, in terms of trap speed? I recently bought Nitto 555 NT, because my Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S blew on the highway. My Nittos seem to be larger in diameter relative to my Pirellis. So does that mean I'll have lower or higher trap speeds on the 1/4 mile? Also, could you explain why it would affect my trap speeds? And don't say traction because we'll leave that variable out for now since I already have my results. I just want an explanation first.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:59 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
What does the overall diameter of the rear wheels + tires result in, in terms of trap speed? I recently bought Nitto 555 NT, because my Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S blew on the highway. My Nittos seem to be larger in diameter relative to my Pirellis. So does that mean I'll have lower or higher trap speeds on the 1/4 mile? Also, could you explain why it would affect my trap speeds? And don't say traction because we'll leave that variable out for now since I already have my results. I just want an explanation first.

alters the gearing in the car... i dont have a calculater program on this computer but basicly what you did was go from a 3.55 gear to like a 3.35 gear if you went to a taller tire.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:15 AM
taurran

alters the gearing in the car... i dont have a calculater program on this computer but basicly what you did was go from a 3.55 gear to like a 3.35 gear if you went to a taller tire.
Right, which could ultimately be the difference between crossing the 1/4mi marker in 4th or 5th gear.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:35 AM
SBT

just let the guy do the goddamn test...this whole thread needs 1 post and it's the original one
Old 07-26-2006, 04:56 AM
John@Victory

Right, which could ultimately be the difference between crossing the 1/4mi marker in 4th or 5th gear.

very true... atleast we agree on one thing out of this thread!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:56 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by SBT
just let the guy do the goddamn test...this whole thread needs 1 post and it's the original one

so we get one more meaningless post...
Old 07-26-2006, 05:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

John your country road test is ridiculous, very scientific Seriously though, why dont you just go to the track and see what kind of traps you can pull, I dont even care about ET. Id trust track #'s given the 60ft's were close on 2 runs over dyno numbers.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:00 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by Alberto
John your country road test is ridiculous, very scientific Seriously though, why dont you just go to the track and see what kind of traps you can pull, I dont even care about ET. Id trust track #'s given the 60ft's were close on 2 runs over dyno numbers.

you posted in a post of mine a while back with the traps. 100.6 i think it was bone stock with a bone stock car and 103.8 with the ssv and exhaust. the 60's were 1.9 with the stock motor. i want to say 1.84 with the ssv and exhaust, but i would have to check when i get home. i dont have the slips here. hell i might not even have them at home. i never hold them. i dont do alot at the strip nowadays. i usually hang out in fredericksburg and manassas and take honda and mustang money on the street . so the street tests work best for me. i dont care how it does at the track with vht and everything else to help it leave. i worry about real world gains on the street because thats where it matters most to me....so the passes on my street and the mph i cross the line is all i need to prove to myself.

im not really worried about what anyone else believes. but when someone posts up its been proven to not gain or even lose power when i have only seen ONE dyno since it was developed i would hardly say that qualifies as "PROVING ANYTHING"

now like i said i do go to the track periodicly, but that is usually with my other car that i cant get a pass on the street with.... now if you want to know what it does at the track i can give you all that info. but since its a stroked 434ci camaro it doesnt do much for this discussion

Quick Reply: Kinetix ssv VS MD Spacer shoot out