Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stock Exhaust sound on steroids...Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:23 AM
summerofsam44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what blows man, Well when you get it fixed post pics of it up forsure. I want to see how the install looks as well plus it sounds like a decent upgrade.

Last edited by summerofsam44; 07-31-2006 at 08:41 AM. Reason: im dumb
Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 AM
alnfong

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zodiac
It's a universal mganaflow. I'll get the Part number and post it.
Yeah...I'll get a TON of flaming on this, but unless the "flamers" wanna pay the "flamees" bills, then they can deal with it. I know of a LOT of Z owners that don't have money just layin' around. Again, I understand...and appreciate...people's advice/opinions, but I think that there's WAY too much whining about what other people do to their OWN vehicles. If you wanna paint it pink and put lime green wheels on it...then do it. I'm not the one who has to drive it. That's my stance.
Totally agree with you on that one,dude!!Hopefully you'll get that problem fix soon,good luck!!!Can't wait to see the pic...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 AM
dTor

Yeah sorry guys. The pics became the LEAST of my worries after I started changing my plugs. The front passenger plug location became a BIG issue. My lil sister's boyfriend was putting the coilpack bolt back in after changing the plug, and it snapped the head off. SO, I now have a bolt that I cannot get out of the head. We tried an easy out and it friggin snapped into the bolt. I gotta call some of my pro mechanic friends today. What a friggin nightmare. Sorry again guys. I can drive it, but I'm worried about that coilpack poppin off.
I'll get back asap.

w/o pics

Good luck with that. We'll be waiting patiently.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:20 PM
zodiac

Pics...No sounds...yet.
Attached Thumbnails Stock Exhaust sound on steroids...Magnaflow-img_1364sm.jpg   Stock Exhaust sound on steroids...Magnaflow-img_1365sm.jpg   Stock Exhaust sound on steroids...Magnaflow-img_1366sm.jpg  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
summerofsam44

Not the best camera angle. Cant see where and how the pipes are ran I still can tell what is going on with pipes. You should try and get an under angle so we can see how the pipes are ran. But it looks good from what I can see
Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
alnfong

Talking

Pics...No sounds...yet.
It looks pretty good.......can't wait to hear the sound clip!!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM
bofa

Not bad at all...
Old 08-01-2006, 09:31 AM
fairlady350z33

yup looks good, retains the stock look
Old 08-01-2006, 12:42 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by dTor
I assume, using the stock photo as reference, that you used the "upper" OUTLET in the photo as the inlet, and the INLET on the photo as the outlet to the right side tip. I don't know how the baffling is arranged inside the muffler, so if somebody with knowledge of the inner workings can chime in, please enlighten me on this: are the exhaust pulses going into the outlet and going out the inlet going to get FUBAR and adversely affect the overall flow of gases? Is one pipe (the real outlet, I would think) going to get considerably more flow that the inlet pipe being used as the outlet? Are there any other considerations that I'm missing?
I'm still not sure how he connected the muffler since the OEM muffler has two inlets & two outlets, whereas the new muffler has one inlet & two outlets. A picture from underneath showing the piping will help.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:51 PM
summerofsam44

Originally Posted by z-u-later
I'm still not sure how he connected the muffler since the OEM muffler has two inlets & two outlets, whereas the new muffler has one inlet & two outlets. A picture from underneath showing the piping will help.

Yeah I asked him the same thing. I was questioning using the outlet as an inlet - if he did then I was also wondering if this still works this way and is it safe.
Anyways he is going to post pics up later when he gets out of work so we can see what they did.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 PM
dTor

Originally Posted by summerofsam44
Yeah I asked him the same thing. I was questioning using the outlet as an inlet - if he did then I was also wondering if this still works this way and is it safe.
Anyways he is going to post pics up later when he gets out of work so we can see what they did.

See post #16.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
summerofsam44

Yeah I was quoting his quote after he quoted you basicly just agreeing that I was wondering the same thing hahaha
Old 08-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Hybrid90

fear of vomiting
Do you have a photo
Old 08-01-2006, 03:11 PM
zodiac

Talking

No Photo of the Coilpack "retention" bolt.
BUT, as requested... Pics of the muffler...better angles etc.

It is installed with properly. Inlet is inlet and so on.
I have put pointers in just to be a smart a$$ LOL.

Hope this clears up the questions...you guys had me doubting the install while I was at work. Hehehe

HELL I don't know if it's INLET as INLET or OUTLET as INLET! ****, it sounds and runs fine... I'll have to call them tomorrow...they're closed already today. I wonder if it's wrong or if they wrote the wrong part number down on the receipt.
Attached Thumbnails Stock Exhaust sound on steroids...Magnaflow-img_1369sm.jpg   Stock Exhaust sound on steroids...Magnaflow-img_1370sm.jpg  

Last edited by zodiac; 08-01-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:19 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey man kudos on the original setup. The tips look great and the positioning is pretty good. The only thing I can't get comfortable with is the way the pipe hangs down before it goes into the muffler. It looks like there is plenty of room between the pipe and the suspension...was there some other constraint that I am not seeing that caused the mid pipe to be positioned the way it is?

I am anxious to hear the sound clips too. Please take some with the car accelerating under load!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:32 PM
summerofsam44

yeah the outlet is definitely being used as the inlet. I mean does anyone really know how this exhaust is set up? Is there a possibility that you have the option to set it up like this if you wanted to.?

I would call or go back forsure and get all the info on this and if everything is good or if its a different muffler let us no forsure. This could be a fun mod to play around with.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:52 PM
summerofsam44

ok i did some homework and your exhaust should be right. Im pretty sure the website is wrong and they even say on alot of sites to call because images are not right. Here is the exact same muffler you have but with a 3" inlet but marked INCORRECTLY on the site as a OUTLET:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=478

So you have the same exhaust but with a 2.5" INLET insted of a 3 but is still set up the same. So you should be good man.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:13 PM
summerofsam44

Old 08-02-2006, 04:34 AM
zodiac

Thanks for researchin' Sam. I would think that if the muffler were installed incorrectly, that there would be sound and flow issues. I also wonder if they make these mufflers with different in/out layouts...like a left-handed golf club or somethin. LOL I DO wanna get some sound clips up...I know I've been saying this for a week or so...I've just been SLAMMED at work....budget time. I'll have to have my wife try and help me with some drive by shots and some still clips. I'll email her at work and try to setup some time this evening. Yeah, we're so busy that I have to schedule time with my wife in the evenings lately.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:20 PM
z-u-later

Bump . . . we want the sound clips!

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust sound on steroids...Magnaflow