Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Sound Clip. Hks exhaust and Strup Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 AM
kumdolife88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Clip. Hks exhaust and Strup Test Pipe

On tuesday i received my test pipes from Strup performance. That afternoon got the pipes installed.

heres a pic of the test pipes:

Pic of the tool box, *missing one toolbox* We needed a total of 5 tool boxes so we can link all the extensions together to get to the top bolts.

heres a pic of the stock cats ( so fugly looking) :

here is a clip of how it sounded before: (hks exhaust + jwt pop charger)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...=meexhaust.flv

STOGE BREAK:

haha

here is the after clip: (hks exhaust + jwt pop charger + strup test pipes)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Metestpipe.flv

here is a clip during installation (open headers!)http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...openheader.flv

sound clip of low rpm(sorry its kind of hard to hear)http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...urrent=me2.flv

sound clip of high rpm (yes luckily i did not scrape the tire made that sound haha)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...current=me.flv

overall performance:
the gains were noticeable but it felt like i lost some low end torque.
AND IT SMELLS LIKE CRAP!

overall sound:
right when i started the car i was sort of dissapointed..the sound wasnt very pleasing, but after 2 days of driving it i think the sounds growing on me. i like it more and more. from 0-3500rpm sort of sounds like a wrx. after 3.5k rpm it is pretty raspy.

Hope you guys enjoyed this!

Last edited by kumdolife88; 08-11-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:38 AM
silver nismo

Well it sounds nice and yes you r right you did lose some low end torque coz i felt it too when I installed mine as well. and there is 1 other thing maybe you didnt notice yet i think if you have and air filter in addition to thins you r running ritch in fule
Old 08-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Slick 6MT

Originally Posted by silver nismo
there is 1 other thing maybe you didnt notice yet i think if you have and air filter in addition to thins you r running ritch in fule
Old 08-10-2006, 06:15 AM
yoichi

should have gotten resonated test pipes
Old 08-10-2006, 06:16 AM
silver nismo

HMMMM i'm trying to get the joke or understand it but it seems too fogy try to use words it workd better than pics *winks
Old 08-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Slick 6MT

Originally Posted by silver nismo
HMMMM i'm trying to get the joke or understand it but it seems too fogy try to use words it workd better than pics *winks
I don't mean to be harsh but you are not very good at english and I don't think anyone has any idea what you're talking about ...

Anyways, back on topic!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:33 AM
silver nismo

I took it in a funy way coz i know that i might write and have some spelling mistakes but atleast i speak your language and 5 other more so lets not go there. and i know you are not being harsh but its still disturbing.
Anyway i promiss to be more acurate in spelling words back to the subject if u r still intersted in listening to my theory i was saying ur car sounds nice but i think after installing the parts ur car will get rich in fule so in other words you will have bad low end torque and good high end. Thanks for your understanding.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:06 AM
masterj26

i have strup test pipes, headers and the HKS exhaust and i def have rasp around the same rpm's
Old 08-10-2006, 01:03 PM
kumdolife88

i have a quick question, to take out my stock cats i took out a metal brace that was supporting the cats. is that brace supposed to go back on?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
plumpzz

You dont have to put it back on since nothing will be attached to it. Some test pipes still use the stock brace. Preproduction Strup test pipes used to have it, but not anymore. Idk why. It prevents cracking.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
kumdolife88

Originally Posted by plumpzz
You dont have to put it back on since nothing will be attached to it. Some test pipes still use the stock brace. Preproduction Strup test pipes used to have it, but not anymore. Idk why. It prevents cracking.
icic..Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 PM
rotaryrocket7

Don't crack on the guy for his english, he may well not be a native speaker, in which case I would challenge you to go onto a site with Native French, Spanish etc. speakers and converse with them...

Plus, you cannot be "good at English (I capped it for you)" English isn't a verb or an action. You could be good at speaking or writing English, but not just good at English.

As for the suggestion that he's running rich, I would disagree. I would think that he may be running a bit lean if anything for the increased airflow, however many of forum members have found that the ECU does strange things...
At any case, thanks for posting the sond clips, it's helpful to hear different setups especially since I've been considering the Strup TP's for a while.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:37 PM
AWDBall20

hahahah lol sorry to get off topic but that i has a crayon thing is hilarious...and I like the sound.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:01 PM
m1james@bellsou

....so many posts on TPs and how they:
Stink
Sound like over cooked rice
Crack
Throw CEL
Kill low end

.....and people still install them. I guess they flunked the "test?"
Old 08-10-2006, 07:36 PM
dank311

Doesnt sound too bad IMO. I would like to hear some outside car drive by's to get what it really sounds like with load.

Is there anyway you can get some more vids of some drive by's at partial/full throttle?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 PM
kumdolife88

sure ill try to get some clips this weekend and as far as the smell sound and loss of low end torque, its because smell and sound can suck but you get high end hp.

if your going at fast speeds, you wont be needing those low end torque anyways, i was just stating that i felt the loss of low end torque just to inform people.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 PM
kumdolife88

and also like i stated before, at low rpm the car sounds awesome imo, sounds very mean and agressive just like the wrx, stis, at high rpms the sound does remind me of tin cans. and that does not bother be because when im trying to get at those high rpms, im not really caring about the sound, itll be the performance.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:50 PM
hwood

I'm not very good at english either, so here it goes.

Seriously, thank you for taking the time to do the project yourself in addition to posting the sound clips. It definately sounds louder. Would cat deletes still be your first choice if you had to do it over again?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 PM
kumdolife88

um..honestly im not sure, because ive never heard a z with resonated test pipes or hfc. but seriously i think its the best bang for the buck because test pipes are the cheapest and gets the best gains. if your really worried about the smell and sound i would not recommend. if your just worries about passing smog that isnt that hard because the whole install took about 2 hours. the whole install was easy just the top bolts and they are not THAT hard, so when the time comes when u have to get smog check just slap those stock cats back on. DONT EVER THROW YOURS AWAY!!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:55 PM
plumpzz

test pipes rock, you just need the right setup AFTER the test pipe to get no rasp. I dont get rasp, but the X pipe changes the note to make it sound buzzy or more like an engine going at 8000rpm lol. Its hard to describe, but it can sound good if tamed.

Quick Reply: Sound Clip. Hks exhaust and Strup Test Pipe