Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

5/16 Iso Thermal Motordyne Spacer review

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:33 AM
cvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 5/16 Iso Thermal Motordyne Spacer review

Well let me start off that Tony of Motordyne is a great guy that makes a great product. Testamonies from many who have delt with him and the genreal consenus from all Z/G communities all support this. I decided to go to performance nissan of duarte to purchase the spacer. before i left i did an inventory count with Brian of performance and it SEEMED everything was okay. some washers and spacers did not match what was listed but thought nothing of it since he brought a couple of motordyne washer/bolt/spacer pakages out to suggest that the amount of parts i had was 'normal'.

The Install: Went to street image again after a great install price on the hotchkis sways. Went there at 9:30am to have both the iso thermal spacer and oem spark plugs installed. The spark plugs went in without a hitch (although 'Bucky' had stated that the driver's side middle plug has a little oil on it...gasket problem?). Any way after putting the final touches on the spacer Erik came up to me and stated that I don't have all the specific hardware to complete the installation for the strut bar. Apparently, the strut bar bolts provided by Motordyne were thicker than the ones on my oem bar. Erick let me head up to performance nissan where i purchsed the spacer kit to get some answers (he basically trusted me to come back after doing the whole install without paying). He figured since I already paid for the kit that I should get the right bolts, spacers, and washers. I talked to Justin of Performance and basically told me that he didn't know why the kit provided didn't have the bolts / washers and that 'my car was weird' because of it. Strange, because my car came from Performance Nissan lol. I asked if he had any longer type bolts from my car. He said 'nope come back on monday and we'll resolve this'. um, okay. Feeling like I was just dismissed, i headed back down to Street Image and just asked them to make it 'work'...and they did. whatever washers, spacers, and bolts not provided..Street Image supplied and did a great install. I finally got a hold of Tony of Motordyme and told him about the situation. apparently the kit was to be supplied with 8 strut bolt spacers....I only counted 6...and the thicker strut bar bolts were due to the fact that an early 03' Z had thinner bolts. My fault I guess for not doing enough research.

Enough of the rant...for the impressions and results: This. Thing. Is. F*****G awesome! I was expecting a deeper growl from the engine...and I did notice that the engine was more auduble but it's not the 'oh snapz V8 growlzerz!!11' type that many have descibed. chaulk one up to internet hype I guess. throttle response has definatley been improved. The pedal is more touchy and the needle just jumps. I took her out on the freeway and WOW! She's a different car past 4K rpms and seriously pulls waaay better than before. saying the spacer gives great mid-range and hi range performance is an understatment.The needle speeds up to redline faster and passng cars has never been easier. all this from a spacer. it's so weird how a 5/16" thick piece of metal can change the car. so yes, another satisfied customer and another confirmation that the spacer hype is for real. i took her for some spirited driving last weekend and she pulled hard down low but seemed to die at the upper rpms...now it seems she keeping pulling all the way to the red. i touched the plenum afterward after hearing that it was 'oh so cool to the touch' because of the iso thermal-ness....i dunno but it seemed damned hot to me lol! Street Image decided to not place the cooland shut off valve experssing that since we live in a hot region that it would be better to just re-route the coolant lines to the TB....oookay. I told him it gets icy where i live during winter and may have to ask him to install it if it's getting freezing...'no problem'.

things learned:
-my early 03' Z is 'weird'
-the spacer is the best mod i have done next to my sways
-Tony of Motordyne is a good guy to do business with
-I'll be taking my car back again to street image. they have had some negative press but after speaking personally with quite a few G owners and expressing such glowing reviews with them i took a chance and found another outlet to have parts and installs done.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Gary King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motordyne = Great Product. Enjoy.

Gary
Old 08-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great un-bias review!