Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

ITB Technical Question???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MI 35th, got any pics of your old set up?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was my good buddies Travis' car, I should have some pics of it sitting around, and maybe a vid of it running super rich and blowing fire *****.

Countless hours have been spent in and around that car!
They were eventually sold and replaced with a type r manifold and cybernation turbo kit!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the MR2? plan on doing something like that with it?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
what about the MR2? plan on doing something like that with it?
The MR2 project is finished! No more work with that guy, its just fine boosted! Unless I decide to sell all the turbo stuff and go back to NA there is not a real need to mess with it! It already has great throttle responce and a good grunt~

It is still for sale or trade!

Do you have anything or car you want to trade for the car?

The MR2 is worth and for sale ~ 10K
Old 09-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be the first to tell you that the ITB's out there are quite expensive in comparison to the actual manufacturing cost obviously.

I am planning on having everything CNC'd and EDM'd so that it is percise as can be. Now I have been PMing some other members on the board and we think we may have a way to run it on the UTEC.

I have a way in which I can use the DBW. However, for simplicity reasons, I would like to use a cable setup. Tricking the stock ECU into thinking it is controlling everything will not be super hard to do. As long as I can get a TPS signal from the the cable setup into the ECU we think we could possibly tune it with the UTEC and it's MAP capabilities.

The other main problem that I see right now is that using the UTEC I will still have to have a MAF to make it somewhat driveable otherwise. Or if I can figure out a way to eliminate the MAF that would be perfect.

As for the bodies and velocity stacks, they will be fully one-off units by me. They will be designed and CNC'd for the most part. The only exception will be that the bore diameter will be EDM'd to insure perfect tolerances.

Please note that by no means am I trying to pioneer anything or make huge numbers. Honestly, I will prolly make it and if someone can get it to work that can have it for cost. This is just something I am doing for fun to hopefully push my career forward as an engineer and hopefully benefit the Z community in the end. Sooo if I fail nothing is really lost.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by Quamen
I will be the first to tell you that the ITB's out there are quite expensive in comparison to the actual manufacturing cost obviously.

I am planning on having everything CNC'd and EDM'd so that it is percise as can be. Now I have been PMing some other members on the board and we think we may have a way to run it on the UTEC.

I have a way in which I can use the DBW. However, for simplicity reasons, I would like to use a cable setup. Tricking the stock ECU into thinking it is controlling everything will not be super hard to do. As long as I can get a TPS signal from the the cable setup into the ECU we think we could possibly tune it with the UTEC and it's MAP capabilities.

The other main problem that I see right now is that using the UTEC I will still have to have a MAF to make it somewhat driveable otherwise. Or if I can figure out a way to eliminate the MAF that would be perfect.

As for the bodies and velocity stacks, they will be fully one-off units by me. They will be designed and CNC'd for the most part. The only exception will be that the bore diameter will be EDM'd to insure perfect tolerances.

Please note that by no means am I trying to pioneer anything or make huge numbers. Honestly, I will prolly make it and if someone can get it to work that can have it for cost. This is just something I am doing for fun to hopefully push my career forward as an engineer and hopefully benefit the Z community in the end. Sooo if I fail nothing is really lost.

Check the DSM world! they eliminate the MAF with DSM Link and MAF replicators all the time! I am not sure how they work but its worth looking into, its a MAF to MAP conversion including a small box! Allows just about anything with DSMs so Im assuming it should work just as well!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Quamen Thats a great service, Hopefully all goes well! We will see how my first and only attempt into the FI VQ world! If I blow I will not be returning back to boost! It's has been a blast on the MR2 and a blast on my 86 300ZX but I will try it since I am young a frivolous but It gets only one chance!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Quamen

I was boosted on my Z and my tuner ended up blowing the engine up on me. I will be going back to boost but I have some time on my hands and the spare parts to still enjoy my Z and do some designing that will hopefully turn out real nice.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Quamen

So assuming that I get this setup with a cable throttle that sends a TPS signal to the stock ECU, take car of the issues regarding the ECU thinking that it is still controlling the throttle via drive-by-wire what else would I have to consider?

Right now from what I know you can tune NA with the UTEC and a MAP sensor but there may be some driveability issues regarding normal driving. Anyways to solve this?

The other issue that I have been thinking about regarding the MAF replicators is if they replicate a certain rising voltage with RPM or if they are just there as a resistor. If they are there just as a non-fluctuating resistor won't the stock ECU not adjust timing? This could be an issue since the UTEC recieves a signal from the stock ECU or does the UTEC fully take over once it gets a MAP reading?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Quamen

I also was going to mention that this will bolt directly to the heads and will include a complete fuel rail system.

I am designing the flange right now and I may start machining them as early as next week if I feel comfortable with the design.

The runners will be a work of art if I can get the program written correctly as they will be CNC'd in halves and welded together but will be contoured so that they taper to match the shape of the holes in the heads as close as possible.

As soon as I get more progress on this I will post a thread with some more details. Just have to get more research first.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:11 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

make it so stock injectors work! Also something to think about, put a flange on the runner so you can attach air horns but also leave enough gap between the fuel rail attachment and the runer flange so a air filter setup can be installed!

also dont forget with ITBs it was pretty important or so it seems, to have a return fuel system! so you can make it so stock fuel rails fit or custom rails or AAM return style system!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Quamen

Ok. Stock injectors will be usable along with larger RC injectors. Fuel rails will be custom rails (much cheaper to make then you think) made out of extruded rail barstock (already has the fuel hole, just add injector holes which will be CNC'd in). The plan is that all 6 horns will be in line with each other similar to the way that they are now on the lower y-manifold. However, it will be made so that it will meet up to a little airbox on the back side of the hood with a hood vent. I will make this so that I can put a filter of some type in it if need be.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:39 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

I like how things are going?
Seems like it is well underway, How much do you estimate this to cost? I may invest in a utec and take you up on trying this thing out!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Quamen

I have no plans to produce these to be honest. I would be willing to make a few if all goes well but as for costs I have no idea right now and I don't want to quote something then have it cost more (lol).

I think the hard part will be getting it to work with the stock ECU. Even that shouldn't be that hard to be honest. I have gotten the fuel injection to work when my car was turbo on a standalone fuel management system before and I learned a few trick on tricking the stock ECU. The only thing that was bad was the crank angle sensor and RPM's signal. That is why I will be trying to use the stock ECU and control via the UTEC.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Yea there is a local guy with a Z who has just blown his motor on a Vortec SC from bad tuning! I am sitting on the fence waiting between the TN rev-up stg 1 or just doin a basic NA buildup with some rare parts! Have ITBs is a logistical Nightmare for our climate changes you should know living in Wisconsin but it is even worse in cincinnati. The climate and humidity change so rapidly and drastically its hard to keep one tune!
Old 09-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Quamen

I hear you on that. Like I said, I don't know if I will even run them. I only drive my car in the summer anyways so maybe if I do decide to I shouldn't have any problems with the tune. Plus I think I am going to learn how to use the UTEC on a stock Z that way I get used to tuning somewhat so I can get some of the grunt work done and at least see if I can get them to work.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

I am a decent tuner on the UTEC, comes with the turf or WRX & STI owners as friends! I Wouldnt mind trying them out if we can get them to work with the throttle and it doesnt lose the Cruise Control! I love my C.C.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Quamen

I don't know if I will be able to get the cruise control to work. I posted a thread on tuning ITB's with the stock ECU in the tuning section so hopefully I get some input from some of the other members of this forum who are into tuning.

In the end I may try to incorporate a standalone such as megasquirt and see what I can do.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Quamen

I finished designing the part that is getting CNC'd for the flanges and tomarrow I just have to import it into FeatureCam and punch in some numbers and then I should be ready to machine it!

Now I just got to deside on my material. I chose aluminum but I have to decide which type.

Right now it seems like 6063-T6 or 7075-T6. I am almost thinking that the 6063-T6 will be better suited for this application and is easier to weld which is a plus but not a major deciding factor. I will talk it over with my engineers tomarrow and see what they think.

Quick Reply: ITB Technical Question???