Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo CAI Filter concern?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
cheesewedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo CAI Filter concern?

Hi. Just had the Nismo CAI installed two days ago and like what it does for me (mainly the sound it gives me in the higher RPM range). My concern is the location of the filter. Although the water bypass is in place and the fear of my ingesting water is pretty much ruled out. Bottom line... the filter is going to get wet wheather it be driving through a rain shower or just washing the front wheel. Getting the filter wet time and time again does not seem like a good thing. Isn't the water going to eventually wash the the oil out of the filter in a rather short time frame? Also, dirt and grime seem to be a factor with the filter being 8" of the ground right behind the wheel well cover. As a matter of fact, you can see the filter right behind the three vent slits in the wheel well cover. Getting to this filter every month to clean and re-oil the darn thing is not something I don't look forward to doing that often. Could someone please enlighten me on this matter? Maybe the filter doesn't get as wet as I think it will. I am currently in question of my CAI mod because of this issue. Thank you for any help with my concern.

cheesewedge
Old 09-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Injen sells a filter jacket, which should help alleviate your concerns. You will have to do a search...

Zquicksilver
Old 09-28-2006, 06:13 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like to give you 100 certainty that a long CAI and water will be OK, but I cant. But consider the distance between the filter and the motor. That's a long long way to move water.

Besides do you think that NISMO tested the intake under various conditions?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 PM
cheesewedge

Thanks for your thoughts. Like I stated earlier, I'm not too concerned with water reaching the intake as I don't think it will. My main concern is the life and service of the air filter itself between services. Thanks again,
cheesewedge
Old 09-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It will definitely be exposed more than an inside-engine-bay-filter.

You'd better check it for dirt and debris at least every oil change, if not @ every gas fill up.

An occasional spritz of water won't really wash oil away... but it's a good idea to check often...
Old 09-28-2006, 06:58 PM
woodstock300s

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=3778#

those water repellent jackets might help the wear on the filter, not sure though....
Old 09-28-2006, 07:00 PM
woodstock300s

not tryin to change the topic, but just a quick question..do the ingen replacment filter come pre-oiled ready to install?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Vamos_Rafael

ok you might think its a pain in the behind to service the nismo..
i've serviced mine enough times that i can remove and reinstall the filter in approx. 10 minutes... if you cant spare 10 minutes every 5-10k miles then i have no words...
and nismo/aem have no problems in the rain/carwash/snow
i've driven mine in the worst of conditions... no prob
Old 09-30-2006, 05:57 PM
cheesewedge

Originally Posted by Vamos_Rafael
ok you might think its a pain in the behind to service the nismo..
i've serviced mine enough times that i can remove and reinstall the filter in approx. 10 minutes... if you cant spare 10 minutes every 5-10k miles then i have no words...
and nismo/aem have no problems in the rain/carwash/snow
i've driven mine in the worst of conditions... no prob
Thanks for the info. Will look to getting an extra filter so there is no down time between services. Could someone tell me the appropriate filter (make/model) for the Nismo CAI? Alao, I purchased the CAI before I joined this forum. I now regret my CAI purchase and think I would have been more pleased with the Pop or the Typhoon. Thanks again.

cheesewedge
Old 09-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by cheesewedge
Thanks for the info. Will look to getting an extra filter so there is no down time between services. Could someone tell me the appropriate filter (make/model) for the Nismo CAI? Alao, I purchased the CAI before I joined this forum. I now regret my CAI purchase and think I would have been more pleased with the Pop or the Typhoon. Thanks again.

cheesewedge
servicing the filter = using k&n filter recharge kit...
basically you wash the filter let it air dry then oil it...
approx down time is about maybe an afternoon or if u leave it out drying during the night time when u sleep then next morning u wake up oil, slap filter on and go...
i did my filter recharge in between class one time (entire process approx. 2 hours from removal to reinstall including air drying time) ... so its very little down time...
AND that is even with the nismo intake bought used and the guy lived in oaklahoma where the filter ended up with mud and debris in between the filter lining... so washing it was really tedious... ...

what im saying is... nismo intake is not that bad as some ppl perceive it to be... you dont need to remove bumper to install it... and with proper practice... the entire kit can be removed from 1 car and installed onto another car in less than 20 minutes (i was confident enough to tell a local to come before he goes to work that i'd install it for free it when i sold mine to him..)

Last edited by Vamos_Rafael; 09-30-2006 at 06:15 PM.