Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV2 on Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:58 AM
BaTMan_4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Sorry to break it to you buddy but my stock 06' airbox works better than any aftermarket intake on this planet for my car. I don't know if it makes a difference with the 287's, but the REVUPS do not like aftermarket intakes. Stock airbox with drop in is the best intake for this engine.

Well said "MY" car because MY '06 Z loves MY Injen SRi....and as one of your posts below saying you tested it running people before and after i did aswell and it helped out. I went from losing to my friends '06 Z with I/E by 1.5 car lengths to beating him after i installed the intake by a fender with a slight pull but we would shut down.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

You're telling me the G35's created 6% less hp with the same mod? Please tell me you're joking. The 6spd G35 engine and a 6spd 350Z engine is the same my friend. They create almost the same gains, and i'm sure you replaced the stock intake tube with something different to gain a few ponies. Six percent is quite a lot of power to be lost from the same powerplant.

If you want, you can email me all the R&D work you did and I promise I wont tell anybody, .
You have to understand that a real load dyno result is true to the world. It simulates full load and weight. Power to the rear wheels - not crank - is what makes the difference. A loaded dyno shows the effect of vehicle weight and everything - the numbers are not from free wheeling without drag and vehicle compensation. Z's are lighter and have a shorter drive-train - therefore less drag and more HP to the wheels, generally.

Also, 6% - like less than a 1-2HP difference, is not that big, as your claiming, for a mod like this. It's just fact that Z's get more out of these mods.

Rick
Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
You have to understand that a real load dyno result is true to the world. It simulates full load and weight. Power to the rear wheels - not crank - is what makes the difference. A loaded dyno shows the effect of vehicle weight and everything - the numbers are not from free wheeling without drag and vehicle compensation. Z's are lighter and have a shorter drive-train - therefore less drag and more HP to the wheels, generally.

Also, 6% - like less than a 1-2HP difference, is not that big, as your claiming, for a mod like this. It's just fact that Z's get more out of these mods.

Rick
Hey Rick,

You just said 6%, so I quoted you on that. I understand its not much when you are comparing intakes. But you said G35's made 6% less power which means, all G35's because of their weight disadvantage make 6% less power.

A 400whp Z motor vs the same mods on a G35 will produce 24 less whp? I dont think the G35's are that much heavier than Z's to tell you the truth. The 2006 z's and g's are quite close in weight numbers, so will the 6% change because of that?

I understand what you are stating with comparisons to weight and power to the wheels.

To cut things short, the stock airbox works great for me, with my own "special" filter.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:56 AM
savvy

if someone wants to hook me up with a sweet deal on the stillen intake i will do a before and after dyno. I am completely stock on 287 engine
Old 10-03-2006, 11:38 AM
ken350z

Originally Posted by savvy
if someone wants to hook me up with a sweet deal on the stillen intake i will do a before and after dyno. I am completely stock on 287 engine
I think that would be the last thing anyone at Stillen wants to see.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You're telling me the G35's created 6% less hp with the same mod? Please tell me you're joking. The 6spd G35 engine and a 6spd 350Z engine is the same my friend. They create almost the same gains, and i'm sure you replaced the stock intake tube with something different to gain a few ponies. Six percent is quite a lot of power to be lost from the same powerplant.

If you want, you can email me all the R&D work you did and I promise I wont tell anybody, .
did you expect them to be identical? results vary between even the same model car. i would expect some kind of difference greater or less when testing between two slight different vehicles. 6% difference doesnt seem all that hard to believe.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ken350z
I think that would be the last thing anyone at Stillen wants to see.
Whats wrong with stillen's design? It's virtually identical to the JWT except for the cold air box. In fact I'd love to take a better look at the cold air box in person, as it is virtually impossible to tell what it looks like in real life based on stillen's 1 crappy pic.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by Nexx
did you expect them to be identical? results vary between even the same model car. i would expect some kind of difference greater or less when testing between two slight different vehicles. 6% difference doesnt seem all that hard to believe.
He didn't say the results are 6% different because of various factors such as ambient air temp, intake temp, coolant temp. He said there is a 6% difference because of weight.

I would love to see the 6% difference in the high whp cars. It is the same engine and the G is a hundred pounds heavier than a z. The 06' z's are quite heavy.

Can somebody search and get the numbers for a 06' touring and a 06' g35 coupe? I chose these two vehicles because the touring has leather/power seats just like the g35.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:13 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Whats wrong with stillen's design? It's virtually identical to the JWT except for the cold air box. In fact I'd love to take a better look at the cold air box in person, as it is virtually impossible to tell what it looks like in real life based on stillen's 1 crappy pic.
I agree, stillens pic is very crappy. I think they are referring to the stillen CAI though.

I just really like the stock airbox. Plus the RS concept uses stock airbox as well, and not a stillen CAI. How weird .
Old 10-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Road Warrior

i would like to see at least one independent dyno backing the stillen claims you are talking about.

there really is not that much of a design difference between the stillen and the pop charger so i don't see how you can double the hp?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:05 PM
ISMSOLUTIONS

You just said 6%, so I quoted you on that.

A 400whp Z motor vs the same mods on a G35 will produce 24 less whp?
Actually you didn't - you took it out of context.

6% difference on the MOD ITSELF....like I said 1-2 HP variance.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i would like to see at least one independent dyno backing the stillen claims you are talking about.

there really is not that much of a design difference between the stillen and the pop charger so i don't see how you can double the hp?
+1 only main difference is the heat shield versus cold air box.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:18 AM
ken350z

I'm just saying that their claims are probably exaggerated or at least only true under narrow conditions. "Specmanship" A good test may just prove that it doesn't have a $75 advantage over a JWT.

Their supercharger HP ratings are exaggerated why wouldn't this be also?

Ken

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Road Warrior

all manufacturers claims are exaggerated imo

i actually had a stillen "CAI" and sent it back. i don't see these intakes as CAI's but more as short rams. to me, a CIA would be more like the nismo style. the picture does not do the stillen any justice because you cannot see the filter, or the shield. the filter bolts up similarly to the stock intake tube and then to a filter....just like the jwt

the only real difference that i see between the jwt and the stillen is the heat shield...one being metal and one being plastic. the other difference is that the stillen is plastic and the pop charger is metal. the pop charger seals from the bottom where the stillen does not and is open at the bottom but encloses at the top.

i don't have a pop charger at the moment, but i will soon and i will dyno to see what gains i can get. this looks to be the least restrictive of the intakes and thus i think that is why they have shown good gains.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:29 AM
97supratt

The truth is, hp sells.

They claim these rediculous numbers to "sell" their products. Who is going to go out and spend money on independent dynos to prove the company wrong, nobody.

The truth of the matter is we cannot gain much power from an "intake" because the stock design is really efficient. So whoever claims more than 15hp has things up their sleeve.

The only intake I know will produce great gains that is a legit design is the gruppe-m intake. Yes it's carbon fiber and it is a ram air box with two hoses for air induction.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Dave B

Here's a before and after of a Stillen CAI on a G35. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...illen+CAI+dyno
Old 10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by Dave B
Here's a before and after of a Stillen CAI on a G35. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...illen+CAI+dyno
Thank you very much, proves my point.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 AM
ken350z

Thank you very much, proves my point.
Roger that !!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Road Warrior

any pop charger dynos for comparison?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
any pop charger dynos for comparison?
It should really be no different. The Stillen "CAI" is just a POP with a plastic cover that looks similiar to the OEM airbox, at least on the G35.

Quick Reply: MREV2 on Intakes