Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV2 on Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:05 PM
cheesewedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MREV2 on Intakes

Hi. On which setup does the MREV2 seem to be more effective (CAI's, Popchargers or Factory air box)?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:15 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

non just change ur air box filter to k&n filter. or just a popcharger or anything with heat shield
Old 10-01-2006, 05:34 PM
brigz

I have it with the long tube Nismo and i think i could get more power if i got a short ram instead
Old 10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The factory airbox has proven its worth. It is a great intake, especially on the 2006 models with the improved velocity stack.

The popcharger is a slight improvement upon the 2006 box, but it sucks in too much hot air. It's greatest value is while you're driving at highway speeds... but if you are at idle for too long it heats up much faster than stock and you lose power.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:42 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Stillen CAI - much better than popcharger...Rick
Old 10-02-2006, 07:18 AM
ken350z

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Stillen CAI - much better than popcharger...Rick
WOW!!! Good news.... Send your test results.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by ken350z
WOW!!! Good news.... Send your test results.
The results are pretty simple.

PopCharger shows 4.5 - 5.5 HP to the rear wheel - with stock everything. Add a 1/2" or 5/16' spacer and it goes up about 1.5HP is effectiveness.

The Stillen showed a constant 10.2 - 11.8 HP gain on stock, and retained and/or gained HP in the low end as well. After the spacer addition, it went up to 18 HP with the 1/2" spacer.

The Injen intakes are great too - but you WILL sacrifice button end. They almost matched the Stillen in all areas - about 2HP behind. With a modded motor, heads and cams, the Stillen beats all - almost a 24HP gain. BUT you will loose bottom end. If your built, have gears, etc, the Injen is the way to go. If your stock and only bolt on's - Stillen hands down.

However - by the time you add every bolt-on to your car, and tune it, etc...you can just buy a Vortech for an additional $1,000, maybe, and beat all those combinations by 100+HP.

All of my tests were done as true before and afters - so I know what the intakes did with and wihout spacer, and what the spacers did with and without intakes or other mods.

Rick
Old 10-02-2006, 08:54 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PopCharger shows 4.5 - 5.5 HP to the rear wheel - with stock everything. Add a 1/2" or 5/16' spacer and it goes up about 1.5HP is effectiveness.

The Stillen showed a constant 10.2 - 11.8 HP gain on stock, and retained and/or gained HP in the low end as well. After the spacer addition, it went up to 18 HP with the 1/2" spacer.

The Injen intakes are great too - but you WILL sacrifice button end. They almost matched the Stillen in all areas - about 2HP behind. With a modded motor, heads and cams, the Stillen beats all - almost a 24HP gain. BUT you will loose bottom end. If your built, have gears, etc, the Injen is the way to go. If your stock and only bolt on's - Stillen hands down.

However - by the time you add every bolt-on to your car, and tune it, etc...you can just buy a Vortech for an additional $1,000, maybe, and beat all those combinations by 100+HP.

All of my tests were done as true before and afters - so I know what the intakes did with and wihout spacer, and what the spacers did with and without intakes or other mods.

Rick
Sorry to break it to you buddy but my stock 06' airbox works better than any aftermarket intake on this planet for my car. I don't know if it makes a difference with the 287's, but the REVUPS do not like aftermarket intakes. Stock airbox with drop in is the best intake for this engine.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:56 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Sorry to break it to you buddy but my stock 06' airbox works better than any aftermarket intake on this planet for my car. I don't know if it makes a difference with the 287's, but the REVUPS do not like aftermarket intakes. Stock airbox with drop in is the best intake for this engine.
Unfortunately that's not true...what research have you done or seen? Did you dyno and test multiple intakes and spacers on your car?

Rick
Old 10-02-2006, 08:58 AM
350zz053

well you stick to ur stock airbox...lol
Old 10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
savvy

what stillen intake are you referring to? I have not heard anyone make this claim before
Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by savvy
what Stillen intake are you referring to? I have not heard anyone make this claim before
Stillen only makes one for these cars...I've been giving these results for more than year now, and so have others.

Check the G35Driver board as well...

Rick
Old 10-02-2006, 10:58 AM
97supratt

Unfortunately that's not true...what research have you done or seen? Did you dyno and test multiple intakes and spacers on your car?

Rick
Actually I have. I also ran a few cars before and after plus I can "feel" the difference.

There is a reason why all the top japanese aftermarket companies use stock airbox's for their vehicles. Cold air intakes are great marketing products that sell because of the special words included in the name, "cold air".

The stock airbox does wonders, it is perfectly designed. The only restriction I see is the stock air filter and the inlet for the stock airbox would work better with a ram air hose.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Dave B

Rick
That's all terribly hard to digest. I could post up a before and after dyno of the Stillen CAI on a G35 showing absolutely no gain in power, and this was done on the same machine, same conditions, and after a few weeks of driving around. Intakes on these cars are for the following:

1) Noise maker
2) Maybe gain a few hp over a couple hundred rpm increments in the curve, however such gains don't do squat for overall acceleration. You could gain 20whp from 6200-6500rpms and it would do nothing for acceleration.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Road Warrior

how bout some real world dynos to back up the stillen claims...there have been plenty of pop charger proven results. the pop charger is slightly better than the stock air box with some of the results and tests i have seen posted on the boards.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:57 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
how bout some real world dynos to back up the stillen claims...there have been plenty of pop charger proven results. the pop charger is slightly better than the stock air box with some of the results and tests i have seen posted on the boards.
The results I have are from R&D work on products yet to be released for these cars - so they are not releasable...sorry I would if I could, but they are protected right now.

By the way - I don't sell any of these parts and have no other interest in Stillen to try and sway anyones decision...this is truly an independent test result..

Rick

Last edited by ISMSOLUTIONS; 10-03-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:04 AM
savvy

are these big gains you are tlaking about just on the g35 or for the Z as well?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:08 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by savvy
are these big gains you are tlaking about just on the g35 or for the Z as well?
The gains are from a 350Z test car...the G35 gains were about 6% less.

Rick
Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 AM
97supratt

The gains are from a 350Z test car...the G35 gains were about 6% less.

Rick
You're telling me the G35's created 6% less hp with the same mod? Please tell me you're joking. The 6spd G35 engine and a 6spd 350Z engine is the same my friend. They create almost the same gains, and i'm sure you replaced the stock intake tube with something different to gain a few ponies. Six percent is quite a lot of power to be lost from the same powerplant.

If you want, you can email me all the R&D work you did and I promise I wont tell anybody, .
Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by 350zz053
well you stick to ur stock airbox...lol
Stock airbox > Aftermarket intakes

I'm doing just fine, thanks.

Quick Reply: MREV2 on Intakes