Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Borla Exhaust Claims 16-20 Hp Increase Nismo Claims 6.5 Is Borla That Much Better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:20 PM
o snap its eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simply for looks. Personally i dont really like the single exhuast exit because the Z's rear bumper has a cutout for 2 exits. If the car had a bumper cutout with only 1 exhaust exit then i'm all for the JIC Ti single exhuast. Not only does it look nice but the weight savings is worth while by itself.

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I guess you're just willing to take anyone's word for it on the internet.

So I'll just tell you.

In my opinion the optimal setup for a N/A 350Z is an exhaust system with equal length headers, test pipes, and about a 2.25" - 2.5" true dual catback portion of the exhaust.

Second place (again, my opinion) would be to replace the true dual catback with a y-pipe to about a 3" collector and single muffler.

The nismo exhaust has a y-pipe going to a 3" collector but has a dual exit muffler. If anyone can tell me the purpose of having a dual exit muffler on a single exhaust I'm all ears, because I haven't figured it out yet.

So if you're wondering if borla is a more optimal setup than nismo, my guess would be yes.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by danielwebb
So is there really any difference in hp gains between the borla and the nismo? Because i actually think i like the sound of the nismo a little better but would def go with the borla if it could get me 16-20 hp. Hell even 10
There was a big test a while back and the Borla yielded a higher gain but the power is more towards the top-end than the Nismo. So keep that in mind. There's no way it's 16+hp though. No way. Both exhausts probably net 6-7hp (maybe 10?) with the Borla gaining a bit more for sure. Combining them with a popcharger or other breathing mods can produce better results though.

I love my Borla though and am glad I chose it.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:43 PM
BrianDT3wZ

I can't comment on the nismo exhaust since I never had the system installed, but the Borla exhaust was my 1st mod w/ the AEM CAI and I felt a lot more pull over 4k rpm.. Now it is combined with hfc's and headers, the sound is music to my ears at WOT, I do experience some rasp when I let off the gas, but for me it is not an issue since it's not my daily driver. Just remember when you start to open up the exhaust, it will only flow as well as the weakest link... I could not believe the weight and restriction of the oem cats and exhaust manifold...So back to the OP, I vote for the Borla, never had a problem with leaks, has a nice deep note and you will notice a gain...Good luck
Old 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM
one350zfan

ok so i shouldn't rely on a manufacturers claims. but is borla but even if borla gives me half of what they claim its better than the nismo. So is borla superior or is some other exhaust superior?
Dude, do yourself a favor! Buy a k&n drop in filter($35), used test pipes($100), used spacer($100) and a utec ecu($850,look for a good deal). You'll be spending around the same money for a new exhaust but the results won't be... the same. If flash is more your style and you need a pretty exhaust, get the Nismo. The Borla is tougher to install and comes in a million pieces. If you plan on staying N/A, I'd get the parts I suggested and then down the road get the Titanium Injen. I use to have the old Injen(now stock) and liked the way it kept some low end torque, its not too free flowing.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:14 PM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where

Originally Posted by edwin350z
sorry to say but testpipes is the best bang for your buck as far as HP goes..
i have tried to have test pipes installed at mufler shops. they won't do it because of the epa regs. any idea where I can get this done?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 PM
ANXIOUZ

Try tuners or performance shops in your area. They'll do anything.

And I agree with Brian...I had the Borla + AEM CAI for a while and it was wicked sweet. I finally swapped in the popcharger due to some bad weather we were having in OR. But overall I loved the AEM CAI more than the popcharger...but I still love my Borla 10x over. When I get my oil changed or take it to the dealer I ALWAYS hear them rev it just to hear it. It makes me smile.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by o snap its eric
simply for looks. Personally i dont really like the single exhuast exit because the Z's rear bumper has a cutout for 2 exits. If the car had a bumper cutout with only 1 exhaust exit then i'm all for the JIC Ti single exhuast. Not only does it look nice but the weight savings is worth while by itself.
There's a guy who's running very good times at the drag strip all motor, with one of these single exhausts.

That's proof enough for me that they perform.

I think his screen name is sfarrah
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 AM
ZlleH

I believe the Borla claims of 20HP IS NOT to the wheels and was taken from their original ad. While the number you got for the Nismo IS to the wheels and that nismo number came from the sports Z magazine shootout. You are basically comparing two different things.

Here is the HP numbers to the wheels from Sport Z magazine:

PEAK HP:
1. Borla 8.2
2. Stillen 8.1
3. Injen 7.6
4. Nismo 6.3
5. 5Zigen -3.4

PEAK Torque:
1. Stillen 7.3
2. Injen 5.1
3. Nismo 4.5
4. Borla 2.7
5. 5Zigen 0.2

Hey guys. I'm looking at an exhaust plus jwt pop charger as my first upgrades. everywhere i read pretty much says that jwt consistently will give you 6.5 horsepower. But when i did some reading about exhausts i looked at borla because it sounds best to me and nismo because its made by nissan. They are almost the same price (nismo is actually a little more) but borla claims to give you 16-20 horsepower while nismo only claims 6.5. Is borla really that much better? And if so and I get it will it void my 3 year warranty on my 05?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 AM
ANXIOUZ

I'm not a fan of the single exhaust on the Z....it ruins the symetry IMO. But saving weight is nice.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:33 AM
DanielW
Banned

thanks zlleh thats the most useful information I've been able to get on these forums so far. Usually everyone just tries to make some lame joke about the turbonator or refer me to the S**tty search function
Old 10-11-2006, 07:33 AM
DanielW
Banned

so it looks like stillen is the best overall. are thos enumbers considered reliable? are there any downsides to the stillen that you guys know of?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 AM
ZlleH

I think they are reliable enough. The comparison test was done by a car magazine that included dynos from all the runs.

As for Stillen being the best, I agree that Stillen looks like the best choice from the numbers. But the stillen exhaust is heaver then the stock exhuast and the stock exhaust is already really heavy to begin with (while all the other exhaust is lighter then stock). So put that into consideration.

I got the Borla purely for sound, the high HP was a bonous. I had the fortune of running into a Zed owner that had the Borla exhaust installed and she reved up her car for me to hear it. I suggest you try to go to a 350Z meet and find a car with the exhaust that you want and ask if you can hear it.

so it looks like stillen is the best overall. are thos enumbers considered reliable? are there any downsides to the stillen that you guys know of?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the stillen is a good deal. It has a nice design, it's true dual, x-pipe, good pipe size.

If you like the sound then it's for you.

The slight weight increase won't make a difference.

If you're looking for weight savings you'd best go with something like JIC Ti single
Old 10-11-2006, 02:34 PM
o snap its eric

its safe to assume, when looking into an exhuast mod, hp gain should never be your number one pripority in choosing unless your FI. Sound is what one is looking for.

When your NA gains will always be in the range of 10-12hp. Basically if you look at the JIC single you will see the configuration very similiar to the nismo exhuast except for the fact that the whole exhaust is made out of Ti and that JIC has weight reduced the design of the heaviest part of the exhuast, the muffler.

So all in all, does the nismo perform as well as the JIC, sure why not maybe 1-2hp difference? Does the nismo weight as much as the JIC. Of course not, and thats where the significant difference and performance comes from. Remeber the JIC weights only 9lbs! The nismo weights what 60lbs? You are saving 49lb! Then if you take it one step further and take out your spare tire and tools your saving 100lb. 100lb is capable of improving your time down the 1/4 by .10 of a second, if not more.

Last edited by o snap its eric; 10-11-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 PM
NISMO_350Z

When you buy an exhaust first off make sure that you are going to be happy with the sound, buy the one that sounds the best to you. Me personally I love the way the NISMO exhaust sounds...

Are building the car to race or is for you? if to race then go with something that is super light and maybe think about the future of the car, are going to turbo or supercharge it? If so then look in to an exhaust that will compliment the future mods.

If you are building for you (meaning looks and some horsepower gains, but not to race or track) then just make sure that when you buy something you are happy with and that is not adding more weight then what the stock parts added and you will be looking good with performance upgrades. the weight thing probably won't apply if you upgrade the wheels. Hope this Helps
Old 10-11-2006, 11:05 PM
o snap its eric

i just installed my nismo exhuast tonite, mind you this is my second time i installed a nismo exhuast for my car. The first time was on my g35 which i sold along with the exhaust. Now i have a 350z and i had another exhuast. It was a TD and peformed well but i did loose some low end power but made it up in the higher power band. Anyway, i ditched it because i missed the good ol' vq note. The only other exhuast i would trade my nismo would be the amuse Ti. That is the howtness

Now that i have my nismo exhuast back with that beautiful vq note im happy as ever. As performance wise, i gained back my low end power even with test pipes which are known to take away low end power. Now my powerband feels SOLID all the way to redline with some empahsis on the mid range power but that might because i have the spacer and mrev2. With my TD exhuast, it lacked the low end torque which made me feel like i was driving a civic up until i hit 4k and i feel a small boost of power and it pulls all the way to redline.

As tempted as i am to go get dyno comparison from TD vs Y-pipe exhaust i will not waste my money for i need to save up money for my upcoming install =)

PS: I forgot to mention that HKS claimed that their exhuast gained 14hp and 1x of tq. But they never gave specifics such as what conditions, was it stock, what kind of dyno, etc. I bet each company that sell exhuast can expolit their numbers as well as the next so be warned! Lastly, if you do a search IE: HKS you will see that 90% of the thread is concerned about the sound it makes not the power it gives.

end of my .02

Last edited by o snap its eric; 10-11-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:22 PM
DanielW
Banned

so is the consensus that the extra weight from the stillen WON'T offset the performance gains? Because I actually like the way Nismo sounds a little better. But stillen is my second favorite in sound i think and if it creates better performaance (especially with the tq numbers quoted above) throughout the power band then thats the one i will go with.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Adibese

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
of course you can use it with aftermarket intakes. You just need to measure the intake diameter and match it up with a turbonator that is of equal size. out of all the modifications I had done to my car prior to going Twin Turbo, the Turbonator was by far the best and most effective modification. I gained a solid 33 whp and an astonishing 41 TQ with it. It was like a whole different car.

Don't ever put your turbonater in backwards! lesson learnt.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:44 PM
s2kphil

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I guess you're just willing to take anyone's word for it on the internet.

So I'll just tell you.

In my opinion the optimal setup for a N/A 350Z is an exhaust system with equal length headers, test pipes, and about a 2.25" - 2.5" true dual catback portion of the exhaust.

Second place (again, my opinion) would be to replace the true dual catback with a y-pipe to about a 3" collector and single muffler.

The nismo exhaust has a y-pipe going to a 3" collector but has a dual exit muffler. If anyone can tell me the purpose of having a dual exit muffler on a single exhaust I'm all ears, because I haven't figured it out yet.

So if you're wondering if borla is a more optimal setup than nismo, my guess would be yes.

i believe they made it dual exit just to fill the two holes in the stock bumper. it was made by nissan so of course they would make it to fit exactly to the car. it follows the stock setup.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:27 AM
ANXIOUZ

so is the consensus that the extra weight from the stillen WON'T offset the performance gains?
Yes it's a few lbs heavier than stock but the gains will overcome that. The Stillen exhaust is great...but it's a Stillen so it's expensive.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Claims 16-20 Hp Increase Nismo Claims 6.5 Is Borla That Much Better?