Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

New Magnaflow Exhaust numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 04:03 PM
jeffa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Magnaflow Exhaust numbers

Just talked to my contact at Maganflow.

About three weeks ago, they used my car to prototype a cat back for the 350Z. I can't post the dyno sheet, but they have allowed me to post max dyno numbers that they got.

Car:
Enthusiast, 5AT approximately 2600 miles
Mods:
Home made grounding kit

Baseline pull (with grounding kit and stock exhaust):
236.3HP, 222.3lbs/ft TQ

2nd pull with Magnaflow catback:
243.0HP, 229.3lbs/ft TQ

Gain:
6.7HP, 7lbs/ft TQ

Overall impression:
The guy I delt with was a pretty straight shooter, so I would tend to believe the results. As soon as the system is ready for retail, the dyno graphs will be available.

I was pretty happy with the baseline results. It appears that the 5AT only gives up about 5HP to the 6MT tranny's. This would appear to validate the performance of the 5AT should be almost that of the 6MT. (I know that this topic has been debated in other threads, so I will let this info stand on its own)

Looks like a pretty good power gain for the system. Even though they did not give me an exact price, the impression I got was that it would be under $999. Based on some of the other cat backs costing well over the $1000 mark, I think this looks a pretty good bang for the buck mod.

The system looks stock...even down to the stainless steel tips. The only way you could tell is from the sound. Unfortunately, they had already replaced my stock cat back when I returned to pick up the car, but my contact said that it was close to stock sound levels, but deeper and more throaty and slightly louder.

I think that I have found my exhaust system. Hopefully, it will be available sometime in April, and I will be getting one of the first ones available.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:42 PM
westpak
SFZCC

It seems like all catback or y-pipeback systems yield between 6-8 HP increase so it is going to be up to sound and visual preference for your choice, and then get a y-pipe. The only system to get 11-13 is the Stillen (still no dyno charts) and that one replaces the y-pipe. I got the Fujitsubo and love the new sound specially at full throttle it really sounds like a sports car.

It will be interesting how the Magnaflow sounds as they are usually loud.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:19 PM
dczoner

Thanks for the update Jeff!

Also, is there any word on weight? I know this is one of the hardest questions for people to answer because they usually don't have scales sitting in the shop, but I think weight is actually going to become one of the big buying features for a new exhaust now that all these systems are out.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:36 PM
jeffa

Dave:
It did not look like the system would weigh much more than the stock cat back...but who knows for sure until the final version is available.

Westpack:
My contact told me that the first system they tried was too loud, and the second one, which will be the final version was quieter, not much louder than stock, but throatier sounding.