Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

K&N vs POP-Charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:30 AM
sozugk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N vs POP-Charger

Can anybody tell me the difference and why I should pick one over the other? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:55 AM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Default POP vs K&N

I would like to start off by sayng,My Z will be DRIVEN,not raced[well don't temp me].I have the Touring 5AT[I ordered it].I won't be changing that much on the car as I want to keep it streetable.I have completely re-done motorcycles for years,cams,heads,big bore,pipes,etc.I have found,if your head is to high in the clouds,you are no earthly good.That said,I instaled a drop in K&N.I looked at the different cones.The stock air box draws cool air in from outside.Plus I think the stock box helps to keep pressure in the intake,very good.I got my K&N shipped to the door from Marv,at AJ-USA,Inc[1-800-877-1911] for $39.25total price.I have also teamed the K&N up with the stillen X-haust,also very good.The car is really nice to drive,streetable.I got the X-haust from Coz at www.ConceptZperformance.com My next & final change will be tires/wheelz 18x8fr/18x9rr..240/40-18fr...275/40-18rr.[brakes wil be replaced next year]Remember diff strokes or If any 2 of us are alike,1 of us is unecessary.Good luck & happy hunting,Tom
Old 03-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Z'd

It's clear that the K&N will not affect your warranty, since it fits within the stock air box.
The Pop Charger might be a point of argument since it's specs are not comparable to stock.
It would depend if you had some type of problem and if NNA thought they could try to blame it on the Pop Charger.
Given that the conical filter on the Pop Charger resides within the engine compartment and needs a heat shield to help avoid inhaling hot air around the engine, why would you opt for this??
At least with an Injen, the filter relocates out front by the radiator for cooler breathing. (Of course, you're still far from spec and spending more $$)
I dropped in a K&N, although some others here have suggested that there might not be any difference in breathing than going with a Fram!!!
I like the K&N in my truck and feel good about having one in my Z.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:38 PM
JimH

Default Re: POP vs K&N

Tom, Noticed you winter in Arizona. I live here in Sun City year around and have nearly the same setup on my Z as you describe on yours. I just changed out my 17" (on my LS Auto) for Privat/Fahren 18/8 front and 18/9 rear. I have Nitto 555 Extreme 275/40 on the back and 245/40 on the front. It really beefs up the appearance and ties in the overall aggressive stance of the 350 IMHO. I am still looking over the exhaust offerings, (I have a Flowmaster muffler and quad tips on now) but I think I have time on my side as I look at the latest offerings.
I use the drop in K & N as well, but can't really determine any increase in performance. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by TOM Z CENTRAL
I would like to start off by sayng,My Z will be DRIVEN,not raced[well don't temp me].I have the Touring 5AT[I ordered it].I won't be changing that much on the car as I want to keep it streetable.I have completely re-done motorcycles for years,cams,heads,big bore,pipes,etc.I have found,if your head is to high in the clouds,you are no earthly good.That said,I instaled a drop in K&N.I looked at the different cones.The stock air box draws cool air in from outside.Plus I think the stock box helps to keep pressure in the intake,very good.I got my K&N shipped to the door from Marv,at AJ-USA,Inc[1-800-877-1911] for $39.25total price.I have also teamed the K&N up with the stillen X-haust,also very good.The car is really nice to drive,streetable.I got the X-haust from Coz at www.ConceptZperformance.com My next & final change will be tires/wheelz 18x8fr/18x9rr..240/40-18fr...275/40-18rr.[brakes wil be replaced next year]Remember diff strokes or If any 2 of us are alike,1 of us is unecessary.Good luck & happy hunting,Tom
Old 03-11-2003, 08:09 PM
phile

wow, very very nice rims! I have a few questions for you: Are they lighter than stock 18's (they look it :P)? How much? And what are the stock wheel widths for front and rear? 8 front, 9 rear?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:38 PM
JimH

Default Privat/Fahren wheels

I replaced the stock 17's with the Privat/Fahren set. The front 18" w/tire are 5lbs. lighter than stock 17's. The rears are 3lbs. lighter than the stock wheel/tire combo. I wish I had weighed wheels alone, but this is a significant weight reduction in view of the fact I went from 225/40 to 245/40 rubber and still came out 5lbs. lighter overall on the front. The rears @ 275/40 up from the stock 235/40 are a nice gain @ 3lbs lighter too and they are massive!
Yes, you are correct at 8" front and 9" rear width. BTW, tho the pix don't show it well, the front lip is 1.5" and rear is a 2" lip. NIce.
I don't have a price on these as of yet because they have not officially been released to this market. They will be released (as I understand it) in about another 45 days or so. I own these now because Discount Tire is using my car for a photo shoot and they wanted to feature this new rim. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse!
The Eibach Prokit is being installed tomorrow and the shoot will be later this week. I am very pleased with the wheel/tire combo and I think the lowering of .8fr and 1.2 rr via the Eiback spring kit will bring it all together for us. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by phile
wow, very very nice rims! I have a few questions for you: Are they lighter than stock 18's (they look it :P)? How much? And what are the stock wheel widths for front and rear? 8 front, 9 rear?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:53 PM
phile

please let me know sale info as soon as you can. I'm very interested!
Old 03-12-2003, 09:28 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Default K&N

i've got the K&N in my Z.....my friend told me he had felt a big difference with it in his Jetta....but i gotta tell ya....i honestly don't feel a thing.....after all i've heard about the Injen CAI, i'm prolly gonna switch to that
Old 03-12-2003, 11:55 AM
phile

I made my own CAI out of toilet paper tubes and a shredded aluminum can. I dynoed my car three times. My custom mod added 350 hp to the rear wheels. So my Z is ~580hp now. I think i'm gonna add a type-r sticker. They add around 20 hp. Anybody want my design?