Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Can someone explain the logic of the HKS dual exhaust design?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:15 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone explain the logic of the HKS dual exhaust design?

So, I have a custom dual N1 style titanium exhaust similar to AAM dual exhaust, and boy it's loud! I mean my ear is buzzing after driving around for less than 20 min!! So, I was thinking about some options to quiet things down.. Installing a silencer isn't an option since I have a turbo... I came across the HKS dual exhaust design.. As you can see from the picture there is a separate canister right next to the exhaust. What is the function of this canister? Does it help reduce the booming noise or noise itself?

I've seen a similar exhaust setup on one of the JDM Z in Japan. Any explanation will be appreciated.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain the logic of the HKS dual exhaust design?-hks2.jpg  
Old 10-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's just some kind of resonator. My guess is it's filled with some sound dampening material. Probably one reason HKS is not that loud, even though it is relatively straight pipes with little restriction all the way to the mufflers.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:53 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
It's just some kind of resonator. My guess is it's filled with some sound dampening material. Probably one reason HKS is not that loud, even though it is relatively straight pipes with little restriction all the way to the mufflers.
Thanks for the reply. My guess would be that during the low to mid rpm exhaust pressure isn't the highest, so the exhaust flows in and out of the extra canister, thus reducing the exhaust noise. Then as the rpm goes up higher exhaust pressure builds up and just bypasses the canister, which creates louder exhaust note. If my theory is right, I can definitely use this setup since my exhaust creates the loudest booming noise around 2000~3000rpm.

Last edited by leeboyNY; 10-13-2006 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:01 AM
FastIntentions
Sponsor
Fast Intentions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is what is commonly called a "Dead Chamber" What happens is as the exhaust reaches that point it fills in that canister. It is not the greatest for performance, but it is effective in quieting the exhaust down...Tony
Old 10-13-2006, 06:33 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by FastIntentions
It is what is commonly called a "Dead Chamber" What happens is as the exhaust reaches that point it fills in that canister. It is not the greatest for performance, but it is effective in quieting the exhaust down...Tony
Sweet! That's what I wanted to know! Is the canister hollow or does it have some sound damping materials in it?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:13 PM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Dead chambers are hollow canisters. The purpose of them is to trap exhaust and basically bounce back the pulse to help cancel out other pulses. They are used for sound tuning.

Rick
Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM
plumpzz

The way HKS has them angled, it would lead one to believe that they're for quieting low RPM sound. Is this true.

Don't most lambo and ferrari exhausts use a method like this, except w/ a diverter valve for high RPM use?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Dead chambers are hollow

Rick

My mistake then.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Dead chambers are hollow canisters. The purpose of them is to trap exhaust and basically bounce back the pulse to help cancel out other pulses. They are used for sound tuning.

Rick
I'm curious if you have any experience tuning exhaust sound with dead chambers? I wonder how the exhaust sound would change by varying the length and diameter of the dead chamber...
Old 10-13-2006, 09:35 PM
FastIntentions
Sponsor
Fast Intentions

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
I'm curious if you have any experience tuning exhaust sound with dead chambers? I wonder how the exhaust sound would change by varying the length and diameter of the dead chamber...
In theory the larger the Dead Chamber, the quieter the exhaust will get.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 PM
TayTaythatsme04

so could I crop off the "dead chamber" and would that increase the flow of the exhaust and increase HP and sound

T
Old 10-14-2006, 12:27 AM
lb's vq35

so which one is better in performance? the top speed pro n1 or the hks system cause i had the hks on my last z and sound wasnt great i wanted a lil louder... and im looking for a system for my new z and theres not info on the top speed pro n1
Old 10-14-2006, 07:11 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by TayTaythatsme04
so could I crop off the "dead chamber" and would that increase the flow of the exhaust and increase HP and sound

T
Technically the flow would increase and you would get more sound - and that sound is likely nothing you want to hear

HKS has done this for a reason - the sound of the exhaust is very 'rice' to begin with, so your likely to experience much more of that, lots of drone, and likely lots of popping, etc. as well.

Is the performance going to be better - maybe. Flow will increase, but that doesn't always transfer into performance increase.

Rick
Old 10-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Nismo350ZRT

HKS has done this for a reason - the sound of the exhaust is very 'rice' to begin with

Rick

Wow...I never knew I was a 'ricer' with my HKS exhaust.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:38 PM
plumpzz

I agree, the sound of the HKS is pretty ricey. Its high pitched and hallow at low rpms. The Z has a pretty ricey note.. Its hard to get rid of that sound
Old 10-14-2006, 02:19 PM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
Wow...I never knew I was a 'ricer' with my HKS exhaust.
yea, well...you know!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:37 AM
youngZ33

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
So, I have a custom dual N1 style titanium exhaust similar to AAM dual exhaust, and boy it's loud! I mean my ear is buzzing after driving around for less than 20 min!! So, I was thinking about some options to quiet things down.. Installing a silencer isn't an option since I have a turbo... I came across the HKS dual exhaust design.. As you can see from the picture there is a separate canister right next to the exhaust. What is the function of this canister? Does it help reduce the booming noise or noise itself?

I've seen a similar exhaust setup on one of the JDM Z in Japan. Any explanation will be appreciated.

Jay
just read u got FI

so if u did get this exhaust you'd have to get a customized reverse y-pipe!

just my .02
Old 10-15-2006, 11:50 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

I dont get you guys with this rice sound crap. The engine is what it is, and it if your looking at exhaust worrying about sound THAT is rice. I buy exhaust for more air flow, and power. Sound is last on the list when buying performance parts. If the z sounds ricey you should have bought a mustang.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Tarek

At low rpm as the exhaust flow is relatively slower it is directed more to the upper chamber reducing the noise, while at high rpm high exhaust flow moves more into the rear muffler and out resulting in more noise. I think this design preserves torque at low rpm as there will be more pressure at low rpm due to the extra chamber, that is by-passed at higher rpm for more power. Just my opinion on the matter.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Originally Posted by youngZ33
just read u got FI

so if u did get this exhaust you'd have to get a customized reverse y-pipe!

just my .02
Hi,

No~no.. I already have a custom 3" dual titanium exhaust with custom reverse Y pipe. But it's loud ****! So, I want to adopt the HKS "dead chamber" into my exhaust system to quiet things down... My exhaust note is deep, but it also has lots of drones...

Quick Reply: Can someone explain the logic of the HKS dual exhaust design?